Sign in to follow this  
Sammo

Picked up an A5 for the Wife

Picked up this last weekend - wife's new car which will also become our 'main' car for road trips etc.

After initially looking at MK6 GTIs she saw an A5 and was sold, not wanting a 'Mom car' hatchback as we have no kids.

So picked up a Black A5 3.2 V6 Quattro S-Line (I couldn't sway her to a Bimmer)

Very good looking car IMO, love the Quattro and moves better than I thought it would with the V6 and tiptronic (not a light car, obviously) - hustles along nicely and sounds good with 265hp. Pretty decent GT / Cruiser.

The interior is really nice, especially with the super comfy yet supportive S-line seats in black leather / dark grey alcantara. loads of tech compared to my E46 of course - Audi drive select / MMI 3G / Bang and Olufsen sound, parking sensors etc.

Wheels are 19" OEM S5 painted in a dark gloss metallic anthracite / bronze - not really my cup of tea, but looks good. Low speed ride is a bit jiggly though, maybe due to 255/35's all-round / sports suspension.

Already found an oil leak and got a CEL for O2 sensor which dealer will be sorting - haha - Euro life.

No plans to mod as its not really mine but will be doing a few minor bits:

• Polish and wax / sealant
  • Wireless carplay box which works with the MMI system
  • Audi Euro Plate
  • 'RS5' style mesh grille
  • Chrome delete of the window surround
  • It needs some more aggressive offset wheels to fill the arches but doubt will change

Alva Audi-2.jpg

39637495_AlvaAudi-3.thumb.jpg.a1605402c80f2c78c43fc3e941dc6dcc.jpg

578992741_AlvaAudi.thumb.jpg.c5eab747c9eccbf4322021bff767a4be.jpg

Alva_Audi-5.thumb.jpg.b2ee9a417a72909e3b867aefc4ed60f6.jpg

Edited by Sammo
  • Like 2

I reckon this is one of Audi's best designs. Great looking coupe. I do know someone who had to replace their motor (2.0T) in one of these, but since it seems OK (6+ years), the FWD is a bummer in his.  Quattro V6 must be quite a nice package!

19 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Wheels are 19" OEM S5 painted in a dark gloss metallic anthracite / bronze - not really my cup of tea

Don't worry, she'll curb them soon, then just repaint silver when you fix them!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, m325i said:

I reckon this is one of Audi's best designs. Great looking coupe. I do know someone who had to replace their motor (2.0T) in one of these, but since it seems OK (6+ years), the FWD is a bummer in his.  Quattro V6 must be quite a nice package!

Don't worry, she'll curb them soon, then just repaint silver when you fix them!

Yeah, it's bulky, but nice lines. 

I heard the 2 litre turbos burn a shed load of oil and as wasn't planning on a remap, V6 sounded better, more power and reliability. 

I'm sure the wheels will be curbed in the next month ?

Edited by Sammo
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Wut?!? ?

She fell victim to a kerb attack ?

the crazy thing with these is that there isnt a huge price gap between the A5 3.2 and the S5.

I personally think that the sportback 4 door shape is really nice. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, qube said:

the crazy thing with these is that there isnt a huge price gap between the A5 3.2 and the S5.

I personally think that the sportback 4 door shape is really nice. 

Yeah, this was $16k but another $5k would've got an S5. 

Would be better with the V8 for sure 

2 hours ago, Sammo said:

She fell victim to a kerb attack ?

It's surely not low enough for a normal curb to do that?!?

19 minutes ago, M3AN said:

It's surely not low enough for a normal curb to do that?!?

Looked pretty normal height, maybe a little high - just a lowish bumper I think. 

• Sad 1

Bloody audi drivers

• Haha 2

So this little kerb vs bumper mishap means car is going to be off the road until 16th October... basically a month after only having the car a week,  thanks to Tower taking their time and panel beaters being flat out.

I really hope a lesson has been learned!

• Sad 1

Got rental car contribution in policy?  Get to nominate your own panel beater?

A month is good, think yourself lucky you’re not in Wellington!!

49 minutes ago, Olaf said:

Got rental car contribution in policy?  Get to nominate your own panel beater?

A month is good, think yourself lucky you’re not in Wellington!!

Still have her old Mazda Axela and did pick my own panel beater, just surprised at the time for what seemed like such a minor mishap (I've done it myself on my E46 and was able to DIY)

• Like 1

Nice vehicle! 90's BMWS and 20's Audis are about the best of car styling in my opinion. I'm guessing there is some small parts that aren't available locally so they're coming from overseas by the cheapest courier available...

• Like 2

was about to suggest the same.  not much is coming out of BMW Germany in less than 4 weeks

• Like 1

Its rubbish its off the road, they should've been able to patch it back up until the parts arrive. Cant imagine its more than a couple of retainers that have broken? Heck, can probably clip it all back in place as it is now.

• Like 2

That ^

A bunch of cable ties would probably be enough to get it rolling again.

1 hour ago, KwS said:

Its rubbish its off the road, they should've been able to patch it back up until the parts arrive. Cant imagine its more than a couple of retainers that have broken? Heck, can probably clip it all back in place as it is now.

They could have, although the bumper brackets are moulded into the bumper itself and tore straight off (i.e were weaker than the clips) so would need to be plastic welded and wouldn't sit right.

If I knew it was going to take this long I would definitely have got them to do a temporary fix in the meantime...

First world problems!  Aren’t we lucky we have relative freedoms ?

• Like 1

Not to alarm you.  But a friend with a similar A5 just had to replace both window actuators and the controllers for the windows.  And whatever controller the headlights are controlled by.  He is not very car handy himself so had the work done.  $3100 inc labour + parts which apparently is cheap.  Regs and controllers were over $500 each and comes as a kit.  As if Audi knows they are crap.  The workshop told him this is very common.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Driftit said:

Not to alarm you.  But a friend with a similar A5 just had to replace both window actuators and the controllers for the windows.  And whatever controller the headlights are controlled by.  He is not very car handy himself so had the work done.  $3100 inc labour + parts which apparently is cheap.  Regs and controllers were over $500 each and comes as a kit.  As if Audi knows they are crap.  The workshop told him this is very common.

Thanks - car dealer is already sorting an initial issue with passenger door not remote unlocking and passenger mirror not adjusting...

Do have a 3 year warranty as well so fingers crossed.

Best of luck.  They seem to have separate controllers for everything.