Sign in to follow this  
Sammo

Intake Air Temp Sensor Relocation??

1 hour ago, kwhelan said:

what part of their disclaimer do you not understand

By entering this site you agree to the following:

• newTIS.info is not an official source of information and is not affiliated with BMW in any way.
  • The content provided is for informational purposes only and may be inaccurate or incomplete.
  • The content is for online, non-commercial use only. No automated downloaders permitted.
  • The information is provided without any warranty, express or implied.
  • No liability is assumed for any loss or damage arising from the reliance on the content of this site.
  • Basic common sense is required when working on cars in order to avoid serious injury or death.
  • We do not track you in any way, but online advertisers may track your browser anonymously.

I'm not really sure what people aren't understanding, this is a BMW document, that disclaimer is for the web site that's publishing it. Exactly the same information is in BMW's applications, surely some of you have it installed or have at least used it?

For crying out loud I'm telling you what BMW has been saying in the same document for what, 15 years? Or are you all somehow adamant this isn't official BMW info and I'm just making it up?

Holy crap. ?

Deep Breaths Dave...

No we’re sharing our experiences on experimenting with iat’s and how that has affected engine performance. That article you’re harping on about does make sense but I don’t think it’s entirely true and as mentioned several times, a measurement tool i.e a dyno would definitely confirm what effect iat’s has on the m54’s engine performance.

Perhaps if you'd lead with "that article does makes sense but I don't think it's entirely true" the discussion might have turned out different?

Regardless, I appreciate the concession, you can enjoy continuing without me.

8 hours ago, Michael. said:

You'd probably find the stock intake performs perfectly for your intended use. It's not always an accident how the parts end up after the BMW engineers developed them. 

It's an interesting topic to consider. 

Any time the intake is drawing in hot air from under the bonnet the sensor will read higher temps, so the ECU will change the timing and fueling to suit, resulting in less power. Terrible for off the line performance, or waiting for a run down a drag strip. 

I did some real world tests in my Soarer with 3 sensors, one on the front bumper for ambient, in front of the air filter, and one behind the airbox outside of it. Here is a table of my findings based on different time spend doing different things, at different speeds. 

1435343141_Tempengineairfilter.jpg.073fc8bded13ac9eacfc98c7b2987058.jpg

As you can see any time the car comes to stop the hot air in the engine bay quickly accumulates 

I had a modified airbox that was drawing in hotter air than it should, so I returned it to stock. I did take new readings and they were much closer to ambient, although I didn't get around to making a table up for that. 

To be fair, I would suggest returning to stock as well. 

Cheers, was a sound only mod so perhaps I'll go back to stock if my exhaust does a good job when installed. 

I did make one which was fully shielded and insulated, using factory ducting but this type will never be fully sealed above and below like stock of course. 

IMG_20200625_143925.jpg

43 minutes ago, 3pedals said:

What the official BMW / TIS site says for my car when I put my chassis number in - I'm having trouble finding the distributor in my M52 powered 328 

Think I'll believe what I can see and measure?

Tis crap.JPG

spilt my coffee, way to drop the mic,, BOOM

Gold

2 hours ago, 3pedals said:

Sam, 

you can see how easy it is to get warm air into the intake - that big gap to the left by the guard will be an easy source. I've never been convinced by these so called cold air intakes that reside in the engine bay , and what I don't like about the E46 std snout is it sits above the radiator which will be warmer than where the E36 sucks from . 

You should be able to make some reasonable improvements to the stock intake to get more flow and some noise. 

Yeah, I might try adding a duct to the stock box (down to brake duct? - I believe E46 M3 does something similar) and do some temp comparison tests as I have a bluetooth dual probe thermometer I use for BBQ / smoking.