Sign in to follow this  
aja540i

E39 oil burner

Picked up my newest old toy today, 1998 e39 530d touring, ex Ireland import, 197k Miles, no wof, no reg, 

DSC_0063.thumb.JPG.a437f4f9fe91f7087ef9c9f0899b2eba.JPG

started a list of what needs doing to turn it into a road legal, reliable tow mule,

1) EVERYTHING!!

will start with a thorough cleaning inside and out and go from there....

Edited by aja540i
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Not sure that fun is the best choice of words but something will begin! 

Just reading through the service history, came to nz around 2003, has had 4 sets of front brake rotors and 3 skims!! 

Will start with basics, wof issues, polish headlights, slow leak in tyre, etc, then check on swirl flaps, egr, and turbo. It smokes like hell when its cold, nice blue oil smoke, so that will need sorting....

• Like 1

Iirc the transmissions in these aren't that strong either.

15 hours ago, aja540i said:

It smokes like hell when its cold, nice blue oil smoke, so that will need sorting....

I would look at your CCV to see if it’s the old loo-roll design, or the newer cyclone type, and how clean it all is. 
Sounds like it’s been neglected in terms of servicing, and when that’s all clogged up it dumps a lot of oil from the crankcase into the inlet making for the lovely blue smoke you describe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eagle said:

Iirc the transmissions in these aren't that strong either.

So people say. But my engines been remapped, done burnouts all through town, and use it for towing my drift car around on big heavy tandem trailers up and down the kaimais and it hasn't given a single ounce of trouble. 

How ever I'm not under the illusion it will last for ever either ?

Edited by polley

4 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

I would look at your CCV to see if it’s the old loo-roll design, or the newer cyclone type, and how clean it all is. 
Sounds like it’s been neglected in terms of servicing, and when that’s all clogged up it dumps a lot of oil from the crankcase into the inlet making for the lovely blue smoke you describe.

Thats what I am assuming, it has had a lot of oil changes but not much else in terms of maintenance.  It will also be interesting to count the swirl flaps.....

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BreakMyWindow said:

I'd like to donate to the cause, I've got a set of facelift corner tail lights I'll give to you next coffee meeting @aja540i

awesome thanks, when its all legal you can take it for a spin! ;)

2 hours ago, polley said:

So people say. But my engines been remapped, done burnouts all through town, and use it for towing my drift car around on big heavy tandem trailers up and down the kaimais and it hasn't given a single ounce of trouble. 

I am aware they can die, but it is doing everything it should at the moment so I will give it a service and hope for the best!

• Like 1

Started on the most pressing issue, there is an issue with the selector / key link cable and it won't release the key when in park, so the key can't be turned off and removed, removed centre console and steering column covers to sort it. Bonus cassette in the stereo!! Plays right through, both sides! Interior is absolutely filthy but not in bad shape otherwise.

Edit: fixed, interlink cable adjusted, keys turns off and can be removed!

DSC_0068.thumb.JPG.27d48c6aacbf5f0a370f4bab06b748f1.JPGDSC_0069.thumb.JPG.a8707d071b6b84671ab4c91a027c19e7.JPG

Edited by aja540i

5 hours ago, polley said:

Thought you would have that manual box in it by now.

Is that the same colour as your old 540i Touring?

Also, you didn't tell everyone that you got out of trouble for buying this, by letting your Mrs buy a Lambo ?

Works for me though - I can keep the Defender a bit longer, right? ?

8 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Definitely the old type,  possibly the original part from1998, black, crunchy, foul smelling mess! 2ill upgrade to the new design part. Still has the egr and I can't see but I'm guessing the swirl flaps as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Allanw said:

Is that the same colour as your old 540i Touring?

Also, you didn't tell everyone that you got out of trouble for buying this, by letting your Mrs buy a Lambo ?

Works for me though - I can keep the Defender a bit longer, right? ?

no, the 540 was Biarritz Blau, this is Orient blau, quite a bit darker. Yes the Mrs is distracted by her Lamborghini for now, but I suspect this will come up again in the future!!

Have you finished the Defender yet?

10 hours ago, aja540i said:

no, the 540 was Biarritz Blau, this is Orient blau, quite a bit darker. Yes the Mrs is distracted by her Lamborghini for now, but I suspect this will come up again in the future!!

Have you finished the Defender yet?

Ummm... no. These things take time ?

16 hours ago, aja540i said:

Definitely the old type,  possibly the original part from1998, black, crunchy, foul smelling mess! 2ill upgrade to the new design part. Still has the egr and I can't see but I'm guessing the swirl flaps as well.

That's not good. They get pretty gunky between services, even if you change them often. Easy fix though, so not too bad.

Swirl flaps are a pain because the only way you can get to them is to take the manifold off (good opportunity to de-gunk that bit as well though).. if you have a spare wing mirror you might be able to see up underneath whether the flaps are still fitted or been blanked off. Tbh I think the 3.0ltr diesel flaps are much more robust than the 2.0ltr ones. It's not an expensive or difficult job for peace of mind though.

I checked my swirl flaps on my 3l after hearing so much crap about them and mine were perfectly fine, no play or anything. And that was at 200k. I did remove them however for piece of mind, lost a bit of low down punch as a result of it.

Old vs new! At some stage I will replace it with the cyclone type, but this will do for now.

DSC_0071.thumb.JPG.c8c3e27c0e6272b295494badc6d121a1.JPG

• Like 1

It appears that it has had a set of shocks, but about 10 years ago! No evidence of any other suspension work....handles like 22 year old suspension. I will start on those bits once it is road legal.

isnt it funny that the condition of suspension components are basically not a requirement for roadworthiness? :bitch_please-min:

• Like 1

They are, a thorough wof inspector will call you out on worn bushes and ball joints however as long as the shocks aren't leaking they seem to get through when in reality the shocks are pretty much poked before 100,000kms.