Sign in to follow this  
aja540i

E39 oil burner

29 minutes ago, balancerider said:

@aja540i how is it mechanically now? would guess an old diesel might benefit from an italian tune up...

I'd be surprised if it wasn't already happening on every outing! :lol:

Edited by Allanw
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, balancerider said:

@aja540i how is it mechanically now? would guess an old diesel might benefit from an italian tune up...

Up on axle stands at the moment, trans filter and fuid change, turbo is a bit whistley and the trans is showing its age but it still hauls bloody well. I have sorted out the towball now so it will be taking over trailer lugging duties from the M5! I suspect the injectors could possibly use some love, but not urgently. Rear subframe bushes are the next big thing....

Completed the second fluid change in the transmission, new filter and pan gasket this time, while it was running up to temp for the final fill something in the aircon let go and all the refrigerant and horrible green dye escaped!! Not sure where from yet, possibly the compressor, at first I thought a coolant hose had let go but it smelt wrong and wasn't making a puddle!!

• Sad 1

New filter and second fluid change has greatly improved the driving experience, the trans engages a lot quicker when moving away and I got it to break traction!! Now I will have to tackle the ugly patches of rust/ missing bog / spray can touch ups on the body work....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Replacement GM coded now, thanks to @BreakMyWindow, tailgate soft close mechanism pulled apart and adjusted, so tailgate and glass open and close as they should!! Battery secured thanks to battery bracket from pick a part, a good run up and down the motorway shows transmission is better but still showing signs of age, I don't have anything to really compare to but motor seems very healthy and pulls really well. Time to order new subframe bushes and diff seals with a view to dropping the rear subframe and refreshing it, I have a brand new driveshaft flex joint that might as well go in at the same time.

• Like 2

When my wagon interior swap is completed you can take it for a drive. Obviously its a lighter car being an e46 but should give you some idea

Sorted the low rpm lack of boost issue, new pressure converter and some new vacuum hoses, an hours work and hey presto!

DSC_0327.thumb.JPG.2e3c11d3f8a1cbebe4d761d82288c72a.JPG

Also found the bracket that holds the vacuum canister was broken so it was just rattling around between the chassis rail and engine mount, so stuck it back together withe some extra high temperature hot glue ;)

DSC_0328.thumb.JPG.9318a60b3b0097da36e58e7caf8bda2c.JPG

DSC_0330.thumb.JPG.ccb679ff0808d1ca52313d15dbc5fbb2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Still having some wierd boost surging issues so unplugged the MAF and drove around the block, goes better with it disconnected but still doing bizarre things, ordered new Bosch MAF from eBay so will cross that off the list and move to the next thing, will probably do MAP sensor as well because why not!

On 3/4/2021 at 4:46 PM, aja540i said:

Completed the second fluid change in the transmission, new filter and pan gasket this time, 

What method did you use to do that? 

Just drained the fluid, removed the pan, swapped the filter, refitted the pan with new gasket and bolts, refilled using an electric oil pump. Front of car on axle stands and rear on a trolley jack so I could get it level and used an infra red thermometer to make sure temp was correct when refilling. I have a large measuring jug to drain the old fluid into so I can see how much to put back in, but still fill to the level of the hole.

I know it doesn't get all the old fuid out which is why I did it twice with a few kms between changes.

Edited by aja540i
  • Like 2

WOF time, soooo, 2 new front bumps stops, 2 new washer fluid pumps, 1 new brake light bulb and a handbrake "adjustment" later... new WOF!

Still driving it with MAF unplugged, research leads me to believe that there is a software update to suit the newer version of the MAF sensor, so will look into that a bit further.

• Like 2

Added a 175 amp DC connector in the boot, mainly to connect an inverter but also whatever else i need! 200 amp circuit breaker just in case...

DSC_0444.thumb.JPG.8614d0a36ab472af81c051ce97843d3a.JPG

DSC_0446.thumb.JPG.56835fb9d520531a280b6d137c0d4d47.JPG

• Like 4

I actually could, 1700w pure sine wave inverter, I would just have to run  the e39 for 8 hours or so, think of the environments! ;)

• Haha 1

got the style 66s back from being dip stripped last week, now to start the laborious task of welding, ginding and filing the curb rash! It was less obvious when they were Matt black but they are going to be silver again so needs to be sorted, these wheels will consume several more weekends of my life before they are ready to wear tyres again!!

DSC_0447.thumb.JPG.47fb182152c4ec17122f974d06e291f7.JPG

DSC_0448.thumb.JPG.09934803f2363e6ea2662d1f296dc88c.JPG

• Like 4

I have a few sets of wheels I need to do the same to so will be following with interest.

On 10/3/2021 at 5:42 PM, aja540i said:

I actually could, 1700w pure sine wave inverter, I would just have to run  the e39 for 8 hours or so, think of the environments! ;)

Put a long tailpipe on (or a stack, even better!) and then the exhaust can go OUT of the environment.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Allanw said:

Put a long tailpipe on (or a stack, even better!) and then the exhaust can go OUT of the environment.

Hey cool I don't think I have ever seen a bosozoku E39!

Started welding away the curb rash, I am doing sections about 20- 50mm long, and about 5 sections spaced around the rim at a time to minimize heat input and avoid distortion.

So, wire brush a section, weld it, wire brush the next section, weld it, etc, etc, leave the whole lot to cool down, file down the welds with a cheese grater file then smooth off with a fine file, then repeat until the whole rim is done, then repeat for 3 more wheels!!

I am guessing around 4 hours each for the worst wheels and 1-2 hours for the ok ones!!

DSC_0450.thumb.JPG.9c4dd33abcd8ed57e63aa44b7cf5c113.JPG

DSC_0457.thumb.JPG.8819f09e70cf6a4c711ec66b70772066.JPG

• Like 4

Replaced the front brake pads today, they worked fine and had plenty of life left in them but they squealed a LOT when they were hot, hoping pads will sort it, if not it will get new rotors as well.

Also got a new water pump, thermostat and coolant to go in so thats my holiday job .

• Like 5

Pretty sure I saw this weapon yesterday on the motorway, northbound? Recognized it straight away from the roof bars. Funnily enough i had just finished reading through this thread on last nights night shift. A damn good read!

Yep, on its way home from pick a part! Scored a replacement drivers door card, a boot floor and some trim bits, and A COMPLETE TOOLKIT!!

• Like 1

Replaced water pump, thermostat, fan belt, coolant, vacuum pump O ring, bottom rad hose showing signs of age so will order a new one, also couldn't get correct O ring for vacuum pump, made do with an undersized one and some sealant, will order correct one . Car actually gets up to normal temperature now!

Still had original water pump with plastic impeller, 320,000 km and no signs of failing, but better safe than sorry....

Front brake pads still bedding in but no signs of squealing so far!!

• Like 3