Sign in to follow this  
aja540i

E39 oil burner

also, shiny new parts....

DSC_0003.thumb.JPG.6b44a148b5fa96679df5518144e6a4ab.JPG

• Like 2

All 4 bushes out, no dramas! Also more shiny parts....

DSC_0004.thumb.JPG.5188f8dafd79a198be39df62bb104c7f.JPG

4 new Meyle HD subframe bushes in, unfortunately that concludes the "spare time" portion of my Saturday!

DSC_0006.thumb.JPG.b8da85c62285ad0c0d33a2faa98eaa6c.JPG

• Like 2

Sub frame reassembled and ready to go back in, so tomorrow night will be;

Re-fit handbrake cables, lift subframe into place, bolt up driveshaft, bolt up subframe, attach air springs, attach sway bar, attach exhaust,  attach ride height sensors, attach brake calipers, put wheels on, put car on ramps and bounce it up and down, tighten suspension bolts, adjust handbrake, do a skid! Or it will be raining so I will watch some old project Binky on you tube.......

DSC_0008.thumb.JPG.13068b9cd040216d84fb2c8444eefd9a.JPG

• Like 4

Rain didn't happen so subframe went back in, mostly done, just a few minor details like the brakes to bolt back up!!

Then hoping I can get a wheel alignment over the weekend!

DSC_0011.thumb.JPG.ac0b6ddd1c33ec57a4c64cfce6e96aac.JPG

• Like 2

Ride height sensors back in, wheel speed sensors back in, brake calipers bolted up, sway bar back in, next up tighten the driveshaft bolts, put wheels back on, put the car on ramps and tighten all the suspension bolts, then chuck the exhaust back on!!

Should be all good for a wheel alignment booked for tomorrow morning, I have to say I am looking forward to driving an E39 touring with mostly refreshed suspension again, its been a while!

Then, 1500 km round trip to visit family next week, towing a trailer with a dog kennel on it! Kind of a "what will break next" roulette wheel.🤔

DSC_0012.thumb.JPG.ad0d3b4580d02e9ef297f1c43e4f6629.JPG

• Like 2

Have the front struts been replaced?

Once by the previous owner, Monroe OEM spec. Not great, but certainly not the worst.

Had a bit of a moment when one of the air spring couplers popped off and dropped the car about 60mm while I was under it! I like to think I shat myself with dignity!! 😀

Replacement clip found in a box of bits, fitted and coupler replaced, seems all good now so back under I go.....

• Haha 2

E39's are famous for being lightweight, I'm sure you would have walked it off :D Glad the story ended the way it did  rather than you bench pressing the wagon. Must almost be ready to sort the exhaust and enjoy the new velvety ride.

57 minutes ago, Twistee said:

E39's are famous for being lightweight, I'm sure you would have walked it off :D Glad the story ended the way it did  rather than you bench pressing the wagon. Must almost be ready to sort the exhaust and enjoy the new velvety ride.

It was on ramps at the time but if I had my arm in a different place it might have involved a trip to A & E!!

All back together now, test drive was ok but I have  a warning light for the SLS, code comes up as left side height sensor so I might have to swap it out for a spare and see if that fixes it! Also sounds like it has an exhaust leak now so I might have to chuck a new gasket in it.

Long time no progress, did a 1400k round trip after the rear suspension refresh, towing a tandem trailer the whole way so a bit hard to tell but it certainly seems nicer riding, did highlight that the weird surging boost issue is now the biggest problem and needs sorting, so I ordered a vacuum tester and then set about trying to track down leaks in the vacuum system, by pulling out the turbo!

I wanted to check that the variable vane gubbins on the turbo wasn't jammed, and it seems to move freely MOST of the time, it catches occasionally so I wanted to get the turbo apart and clean and lubricate it to make sure.

I set about isolating and testing sections of the vacuum system and found 2 quite significant leaks in the brake booster plumbing where one use hose clamps were very loose, so I removed those and fitted new clamps which improved things significantly. I can now build the system up to 10 vacuums and it takes quite a while to leak back down to zero, so I'm happy with that.

After a couple of frustrating evenings in the garage trying to get the turbo apart without destroying it i have decided to just lubricate the variable geometry mechanism as best I can and put it all back in.....as soon as gaskets arrive from overseas!

DSC_0025.thumb.JPG.e5b5c8acc530e23ae77264ce501bcdfe.JPG

DSC_0026.thumb.JPG.ac5bce009d281cd83ebed51269696416.JPG

DSC_0027.thumb.JPG.a235ecb501108b6ee41fcb925658d64b.JPG

• Like 1

Don't lose the nut of that back bolt on the intake manifold... you could spend AGES looking for it 😉🤣

Maybe you should just LS swap it...

The M57 can go in "someones" Land Rover...

• Haha 1

Had another crack at splitting the turbo and managed it, everything looks ok but very dirty and a bit rusty, so gave it all a good clean and will give the hot side a coat of paint and it can go back in once gaskets and seals arrive.

One of the little rollers that holds the ring for the vanes did a runner on me but I managed to track it down!!

DSC_0033.thumb.JPG.0ceabea414b4ba9d74bd504d5dc8ef04.JPG

• Like 1

OK, time for me to get this off my front lawn!!

It has been an interesting project but it doesn't make any sense for me to keep pouring money and time into it, and it needs a lot of both!!

Preferred method is to sell it whole with all the parts as a project to some other sucker, so i will try that first, if that doesn't work i will part it out.

I have poured thousands into it so far but i know that money is gone so i will price it at $999 in case someone is crazy enough to race it!

PROs;

Reg on hold.

Kind of driveable ?

Lots of parts with it

CONs

Everything else!

No WOF

Rust is quite bad and likely to get worse

LCM is insane, so no indicators etc

ABS warning lights are back

Can negotiate separately for a set of staggered style 66s that have been dip stripped and tidied up, need painting.

• Like 2

Pffft. No commitment!

You should buy a Land Rover to repower with the M57...

gordo-no.gif

• Haha 4