Sign in to follow this  
Brianr70

Bimmergeeks Protool or similar

Having discovered the joys and challenges of owning a Bimmer have been looking at Bimmergeeks Protool, Carly and other similar apps. Would anyone be able to recommend one of these apps? There seems to be numerous ones available on the Playstore.

Protools is awesome. 

Do NOT get Carly now, it's a ripoff with their subscription model.

Bimmergeeks you can actually do for next to nothing with with software, a laptop and a cheap adaptor.

Bimmercode is my recommendation for a phone app at the moment but I've not tried the BG ProTool option.

I'm currently using bimmercode with the obdlink lx Bluetooth adapter. Works great for coding

I'm unsure if I've asked on this forum before, but can you use these sorts of apps to "code-in" a retrofitted OE Bluetooth module to an E9x?

13 hours ago, Cammsport said:

I'm unsure if I've asked on this forum before, but can you use these sorts of apps to "code-in" a retrofitted OE Bluetooth module to an E9x?

Not normally, most of these apps don't do low level stuff like that which requires flashing module chips. For that you typically need NCS or a proper BMW rig.

On 9/24/2020 at 9:14 PM, M3AN said:

Do NOT get Carly now, it's a ripoff with their subscription model.

Bimmergeeks you can actually do for next to nothing with with software, a laptop and a cheap adaptor.

Bimmercode is my recommendation for a phone app at the moment but I've not tried the BG ProTool option.

Not so. Buy a full subscription off ebay. About ten bucks, immediate file transfer.

Edited by Bandit
sp

1 hour ago, Bandit said:

Not so. Buy a full subscription off ebay. About ten bucks, immediate file transfer.

If you pay anything more than $0 for pirated software the joke's on you. ?

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

If you pay anything more than $0 for pirated software the joke's on you. ?

Well I don't know anyone capable of pirating. So more than happy to pay 3.85 Pounds for a full subscription, works for me, and many others too, no doubt. Thanks for your input here.

2 minutes ago, Bandit said:

Well I don't know anyone capable of pirating...

Sure you do, all the eBay sellers that are selling a lifetime subscription for the cost of a legit one month subscription! ?

The OP is better off with legit software that's not Carly.

15 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Sure you do, all the eBay sellers that are selling a lifetime subscription for the cost of a legit one month subscription! ?

The OP is better off with legit software that's not Carly.

Seem to missing something here, not sure what it is. Thank you anyway, Carly works fine not only for diagnosis but adjusting parameter settings too, on our cars My cost was about $60AUD for the Gen3 gizmo, and 3.85 pounds for a full subscription, if as you say its a months subscription its done me well for the last 12.

The $10 subscription is piracy, its not a legit copy. 

Legit Carly is a rip off and the app is like a crayon drawing of the real tools.

Im happy to pay for the devs to make good sh*t that worth it, and Bimmergeeks protools is that. It is NCS expert etc, just as powerful, its just wrapped in a GUI thats useable and has real customer support. More than happy to pay a fair price for it. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jacko said:

The $10 subscription is piracy, its not a legit copy. 

Legit Carly is a rip off and the app is like a crayon drawing of the real tools.

Im happy to pay for the devs to make good sh*t that worth it, and Bimmergeeks protools is that. It is NCS expert etc, just as powerful, its just wrapped in a GUI thats useable and has real customer support. More than happy to pay a fair price for it. 

That's all very well and good. Unfortunately Bimmergeeks cannot provide for my chassis of choice (E86) at the moment whereas Carly can for the quick fixes, and on our other cars too. Have NCS and Expert, Inpa too,  but its a bit more fiddly hooking up.  Hey but thanks guys.

Edited by Bandit
sp

Asking the experts of diagnostics on here what would be the best program to use for a suspected wheel speed sensor failure. I want to be able to see the outputs of the individual speed sensors so i know which one to replace on the E91. Is ProTool by BG capable of doing this? Or is there a new "go-to" with regards to diagnostics/coding apps? Any help appreciated.

INPA will allow you do do that, or BimmerLink (not BimmerCode) but I'm not sure if 'Link works without 'Code, you may nee both.

I have INPA and cable you could try, unless you've moved you're just down the road from me IIRC.

• Thanks 1