Sign in to follow this  
Ahmedsinc

Pricing advice?

Hi guys, have had the former family wagon listed as a classified on Trademe https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2715447399.htm for roughly 2 months now. Had a few people make contact, only one viewing so fairly little interest this far. Asking $4750 ono, am I out of step with what these are worth nowadays or is it just a sluggish market for tourings at the moment?

Pretty keen to find the old girl a loving owner, any advice is appreciated!

I feel the market in general has changed a lot over the past couple of months. When I bought my Mini they were selling as quick as they could be listed, now i've been sitting on mine for a few weeks and only one person has been in touch. Guessing COVID has made people think twice about spending money.

• Thanks 1

I guess it is now seen as a "nice-to-have" due to age and type of vehicle. it will now be more of a toy rather than a workhorse. i have been trying to flog my cousin's old pulsar for the past month and a bit, while there are tonnes of low ballers and punters, have only had a few viewings. it's just a poor time to be selling anything tbh, it is a buyers market with no one wanting to buy. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KwS said:

I feel the market in general has changed a lot over the past couple of months. When I bought my Mini they were selling as quick as they could be listed, now i've been sitting on mine for a few weeks and only one person has been in touch. Guessing COVID has made people think twice about spending money.

The motor trade is reporting vigorous activity with good numbers being achieved. This has seen good quality trades moved onto the general market at realistic prices. Some of us have been lucky with our "special interest" cars too. A surplus of average cars in the average price brackets like Ahmedsinc, coupled with a format change to our beloved TradeMe has seen a slow up in this sector. Best to use your personal network, and thinking outside the square, like making up a spec sheet, price etc with contact details stick it on the window, and park it up on the roadside in a high traffic area works well for a surprising number of people. There is a lot of money floating about for discretionary purchases. Reverse marketing (putting the price up) works well in a situation like this too Ahmedsinc, not like there are 10 wagons to compare with!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, lord_jagganath said:

now that is some solid advice. been disheartened for a while, but you have definitely put it back on track.

Thank you. Trade Me has, this year at least become an unpleasant place to sell stuff, whether it be a car or whatever. The amount of vicious trolling going on by armchair eggspurts (drips under pressure) has to be read to be believed. And some of the price expectations and the quality of goods on offer, honestly, some people must be on drugs when the listing is created.

Wondering if it is Covid related? changing the format has NOT helped as total listings have dropped , it was in excess of 8 million items. And from today you can now "make an offer" for some items in certain sections. A raft of changes happening...........

Disclosure: My other half is an avid Trade Me seller (and buyer unfortunately) with garden plants and seeds. Drives me to drink every night?

Edited by Bandit
sp

56 minutes ago, qube said:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/318i/listing/2048678500

same guy selling a 2 bedroom unit for 1.2M

Exactly qube. Classic! ?All the readers on this forum know why this vendor's strategy will not achieve a sale of the car.

No M badge. 

And for the property, jeepers Dickens, the street name gives it all away. As I recall that bloke got into trouble by asking for more.

Edited by Bandit
sp

18 hours ago, Ahmedsinc said:

Pretty keen to find the old girl a loving owner, any advice is appreciated!

Irrespective of the market you can always give yourself the best chance of selling. I reckon $80 worth of cleaning products and a day's effort and you'd have that thing looking sharp inside and out, including the engine bay.

A clean car is always easier to sell, might be worth the effort? I don't think the price is unreasonable if it were spick and span.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Irrespective of the market you can always give yourself the best chance of selling. I reckon $80 worth of cleaning products and a day's effort and you'd have that thing looking sharp inside and out, including the engine bay.

A clean car is always easier to sell, might be worth the effort? I don't think the price is unreasonable if it were spick and span.

Agree, especially under the bonnet and those front leather seats would look great with $35 of Coulourlock leather fresh (toning dye) and an hours elbow grease.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally i think it at least partly due to E39's being so common and cheap on today market.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bandit said:

Thank you. Trade Me has, this year at least become an unpleasant place to sell stuff, whether it be a car or whatever. The amount of vicious trolling going on by armchair eggspurts (drips under pressure) has to be read to be believed.

=/

And some of the price expectations and the quality of goods on offer, honestly, some people must be on drugs when the listing is created.

ad hominem's aside, I never seen anyone 'trolled' who wasn't just being called out for being dishonest or profiteering.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Blackie said:

ad hominem's aside, I never seen anyone 'trolled' who wasn't just being called out for being dishonest or profiteering.

Thank you, we see it more in the cars for sale section. Watchers are quick to comment, off the cuff or not, on a wide range of topics quite often so diverse from the item for sale. Vendors are listing a car for sale in a visual medium. Really, those bona fide watchers will be calling, or making a call, I know, the  old fashioned way, instead of making fatuous comments online.

We would be quite happy to use TradeMe more if it deleted the "Ask a question" function

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bandit said:

Thank you, we see it more in the cars for sale section. Watchers are quick to comment, off the cuff or not, on a wide range of topics quite often so diverse from the item for sale. Vendors are listing a car for sale in a visual medium. Really, those bona fide watchers will be calling, or making a call, I know, the  old fashioned way, instead of making fatuous comments online.

We would be quite happy to use TradeMe more if it deleted the "Ask a question" function

Agreed, of the 50+ watchers only 4 have asked about the car. 

Will give her another going over and update the photos. Personally I’d rather see how the car has aged (better overall impression of how it’s been treated), but if the public wants shiny it’s what they’ll get ?

Thanks everyone 

1 hour ago, Bandit said:

Actually, it's an interactive medium and I appreciate the transparency of being able to see what people are asking or pointing out. The sellers responses often tell you all you need to know. I find if your listing is complete and honest you get very few questions or comments. It's a myth that serious buyers will call. Every car i have brought i have asked questions first and then screen-shoted the answers for peace of mind. Maybe the auto trader type site (do they still exist?) or Turners would be more suitable for you?

• Like 1

A recent example:

me question - "Hi, how long have you owned, what servicing has been done (waterpump, coils, inlet clean, sump gasket, etc) and can you elaborate on the de-registration? Also, would you consider a part-trade with a clean 130i? Thanks "

seller answer - "Feel free to contact me to discuss"

My thoughts about this response?... nope, sorry not going to call anyone who isn't bothered to put up an answer to a few simple need-to-know questions and some which every potential buyer is likely to ask and which should have been addressed in the listing anyway.

Then later...

seller comment - "Re-registration due to front r/h hit resulting in insurance right off. Easy repair with all bolt replacement items. Repair certification and re compliance done. very comprehensive process to re vin."

Wouldn't you think this information would be kind of crucial to include in the listing? Had I called, let's say it was on autotrader or advertised on the side of the road - what do you think the chances are he would have just volunteered this information? Likely I would only discover it when I came to sell or my mechanic says "did you know the chassis is bent?"*.

This is on a 20k car by the way - a significant investment for a lot of people. The listing including the terms "excellent condition" and "unmolested".

This is why I personally like trademe the way it is. Anything else, just say "thanks for your comment". ?

* not saying it is, but we all know someone who has been shafted in this situation and I'm not looking for a damaged/repaired vehicle

• Like 4

Ive always just listed all i can about the car im selling and most calls i usually get are viewing related. Maybe some sellers don't mind taking calls and answering questions due to their lack of detail, but its not something i'd ever consider doing.

• Like 3