Sign in to follow this  
qube

E61 Wagon Project

Starting a new project log for the wagon just picked up.

2009 530i E61 M Sport LCI Japanese Import

N52 3L engine, automatic, panoramic sunroof etc

One of the first things that will need doing is replace some non working bulbs for the rear fog lights. Error message every time on start up is very annoying.

Also the service alert on the CCC iDrive shows brake fluid service due and an oil service due (even though it was done recently it hasnt been reset) so if someone can help me to reset this that would be great.

Next thing to chase is a low idle, sits at around 700rpm so the car vibrates very slightly. when moving though there is no vibration or anything which leads me to believe its not spark/coil or engine mounts etc. engine revs smooth and no misfiring.

There were a bunch of random codes from my scanner but I deleted them all and will drive it again and see what codes come back and report.

Another thing is that there is a clunk/thump kind of noise right after starting the car. so you put the key in and press the start button then the car will fire up, rev up to about 1500rpm then drop back down to idle and on the down-rev it will make a clunk noise. Could be transmission related, I have read on dr google this which seems similar to my issue

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/transmission-clunk-immediately-after-ignition.639595/

Other than that, both engine and gearbox is smooth and no jerkiness or anything.

Panoramic sunroof is a bit of a d!ck. it mostly works fine but if you tilt it up, later when you want to close it, it doesnt close and will just "bounce". In order to close it I need to hold the button down to "reset" it by cycling through all the movement actions and it will work again. Doesnt seem like a mechanical issue like broken parts because it still works if you close it this way..

All in all, happy BMW ownership :)

461A54D5-BEB3-470D-B396-C4ED16D167BC.jpeg

4428ACE0-E8DD-4EF0-B92B-A8F9321BE288.jpeg

• Like 9

Id start from scratch with reset of adaptations and go from there, hollah if you want to throw protool at it. 

Okay so just checked the car now and its showing an increased battery discharge while stationary fault on the iDrive.

Definitely something funky happening with the battery.

Cool colour, big sunroof fan, esp on these. Looks tidy. Headlight polish ?

55 minutes ago, m325i said:

Cool colour, big sunroof fan, esp on these. Looks tidy. Headlight polish ?

Colour is space grey

drivers side headlight needs polish, passenger side is perfect. (checked date sticker on both and they are both original)

Edited by qube

28 minutes ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Such a nice looking car but tbh they scare the sh*t out of me haha

you have hit the nail on the head. Its a fantastic looking car and drives amazing for a 530i. especially being LCI I think its even better than the older ones.. but... all the potential problems.. ugh couldnt resist it!

• Like 1

I nearly bought one a while back, but the huge list of issues the pano roof can have, and the fact the carpet on the drivers side was soaked and mouldy didnt really sell it.

Very nice to drive though and so roomy.

Sorted out the rear fog lights error. the car was missing the bulbs completely so bought 2 ($18 each......) and had to reset it multiple times to clear the code. (thanks @Jacko)

No more error messages on start up - big success! lets see how long that lasts.

Think we have come to the conclusion that the vibration at idle is due to bad engine mounts so they will be getting ordered soon.

One major(?) error code to investigate is this:

2E85: BSD, message; electric coolant pump: Missing

I can see that the connectors to the waterpump has a lot of old oil covering it so will need to try get in there to clean it out and see.

The waterpump itself seems to be working fine as car is not overheating but will most likely add this and a thermostat to the list for peace of mind. I am worried that the wiring harness for this is the culprit for the error code though.

Most other error codes havent come back after clearing it so lets see.

There is definitely something funky going on with the battery/FRM or else.. seems to be the typical E6x problems. 

• Like 2

All good, I reset the CB on the FRM. You get a few goes at it. 

Doing waterpump and thermostat at same time as engine mounts is good plan, dropping the subframe makes access to waterpump easier anyway. Engine mounts are a bit fiddly to do up, but not the worst job in the world, double check the sump gaskets not seeping at the same time as you'll kick yourself if dont do it while the subframes dropped. 

• Like 1

Found it on trademe, it was being sold in Wellington.

Made contact, flew down, picked it up and drove it up. I went down with a friend but I drove the whole way without being tired or sore anywhere.

Its coming along nicely now with a good tidy up. Its really a great car. I was sold because its the facelift and the nice space grey colour with huge panoramic sunroof.

(p.s. Everything is for sale at the right price ;))

34 minutes ago, chuckitinbro said:

oh is this the one from kapiti ? sold overnight ?

Yep, gotta be quick!

5 hours ago, qube said:

Made contact, flew down, picked it up and drove it up. I went down with a friend but I drove the whole way without being tired or sore anywhere.

Its coming along nicely now with a good tidy up. Its really a great car. I was sold because its the facelift and the nice space grey colour with huge panoramic sunroof.

this is the e60/e61 magic.  You can drive WLG-AKL non-stop and arrive feeling relaxed.  Brilliant cars, love mine to bits.

• Like 1

Absolutely. If i was in any other car i would have a sore back for sure. It was indeed magical. And this car needs engine mounts and probably a suspension refresh to bring it up to scratch but it was still very comfortable. Its really an amazing platform and the price just makes it even more attractive now that they have pretty much bottomed out in value. 

• Like 1

if you're doing engine mounts I suggest trans mounts as well.  I did both on mine; transformative.  

It's not a cheap chassis for parts cost in maintenance, though it is so very rewarding.  I wonder is the Touring 50/50 weight distribution as well?

• Like 1

I will need to jump on realoem to find the parts. Good idea on the trans mounts. Hopefully its not too hard to do it all. 

i think weight distribution is pretty good for both e60/61. It feels good to me on my butt-o-metre :)

Here is a list of maintenance parts I am planning to order for the wagon soon..

Anything else I should add to the list?

FCP USD to NZD
22116761089 Engine Mount Left 63.54 95
22116761090 Engine Mount Right 60.25 90
22316771741 Auto Trans Mount x2 (8.40 ea) 16.80 25
11137548031 Oil Pan Gasket 29.75 45
11287535860 Drive Belt Idler Pulley 17.07 26
11288624196 Belt Tensioner Assembly 45.84 69
11287628650 Serpentine Belt 16.40 25
11517586925 Electric Water Pump 279.11 419
11537549476 Thermostat 61.99 93
17137542986 Expansion Tank 68.05 102

658.80 988

16 minutes ago, lord_jagganath said:

Filters? Oil, air,fuel, fluids? 

oil filter and oil I have already, air filters can just grab them locally cheap enough.

• Like 1

• if you're going to do the serpentine belt, does it drive the AC, or separate belt (as on N62).  If so, do that too.  N62 is sans-tensioner, so if your N5x is similar, you'll want the belt tool as well.
  • Should be considering Auto service.  Auto trans pan/filter, and mechatronic sleeve.  As yours is LCI, should have the good pan bolts so no need to replace.
  • Possibly your fuel filler cap?  Check the big O-ring for cracks.
  • Download the latest So you bought an e60?
  • Valeo e60 Wiper Blades
  • cabin filters
  • query hood support struts

HTH

• Like 2

Bit of a fail today. 

rears are a near perfect fit

front has a tiny rub on the strut :(

A 2mm spacer would fix it but dont want to run it without cert so back to the drawing board. I hear the wheel gods whispering to me “Buy more wheels”...

D9763405-BF2B-4BA7-BB9D-4E82756A0D06.jpeg

AC059597-EC38-48EC-B239-B7A63E32EC60.jpeg

9BC1FD69-8169-46B5-9C20-6B4F8C7F7B96.jpeg

B0802406-DA1A-444C-BD4A-8672B790EDBF.jpeg