Sign in to follow this  
qube

E61 Wagon Project

@qube

DIN88 is definitely the go to for modern beamers, (modern compared to my E28/E30)

count yourself lucky it’s not specced as AGM (have you checked?)

The code BIMMERSPORT will give you 5% off any cranking battery, ideally pay via bank transfer so I don’t get smacked with the damn processing fee.

I stay away from the whole incorrect spec, for one, incorrect spec voids my battery warranty.

I’ve not actually seen it go well for many people. My VRL5 is on clearance for $422 (Better check stock)

Edited by LemonHunter
Term

Just now, LemonHunter said:

@qube

DIN88 is definitely the go to for modern beamers, (modern compared to my E28/E30)

count yourself lucky it’s not specced as AGM (have you checked?)

The code BIMMERSPORT will give you 5% off any cranking battery.

it is spec'd as AGM but have been told I'll be alright to go for non AGM and code it to the car as such.

Car doesnt have stop start function and have disconnected the IBS so should be alright?

5 minutes ago, qube said:

it is spec'd as AGM but have been told I'll be alright to go for non AGM and code it to the car as such.

Car doesnt have stop start function and have disconnected the IBS so should be alright?

From my professional side I don’t recommend it, I don’t offer or suggest the service. 

From my personal side, I’ve heard it work for some, seen it result in misery for others.

1.  Kyu, why the dread of AGM? Yes, with coding, you can run other types. But why, AGM saves weight.  And those clever engineers specc'd them.

2.  Why not replace the IBS?  It's a common fault.  There's even a recall abroad that isnt fully covered here.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GorGasm said:

Cost

Info is on my site, links above or www.autobatteries.co.nz

DIN88 is $281.17

VRL5 (DIN88/92AGM) is $422.00

pretty low stock on the AGM, about 5 around the country.

Not dreading it but dont think its required as car doesnt have stop start function and if i decide to leave ibs unplugged then more reason not to get an agm type afaik?

i want to try isolate the discharge issue and if it is indeed the ibs i will know once i get a new battery and leave the ibs unplugged. 

maybe im going about it the wrong way but dont want to spend hundreds to replace ibs and a new agm battery for it to discharge and fail again in a short period of time

I thought that too! Looks very similar. 
its an interesting spec being DCT!

This is my dads car anyway and has lots of issues so will be keeping and fixing it for a while..

• Like 1

Whoa did they really come with a DCT or is it just a sport auto with the DCT style shifter? 

52 minutes ago, Navin said:

Whoa did they really come with a DCT or is it just a sport auto with the DCT style shifter? 

Not DCT, but has Sport Automatic Transmission option. Still a 6HP19.

https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/rudys-full-review-2008-550i-sport-automatic-42608/

Edited by KwS

nvm. Looks like its called the SAT. Looks identical to the dct setup

Edited by qube

On 12/5/2020 at 12:43 PM, qube said:

nvm. Looks like its called the SAT. Looks identical to the dct setup

Yeap SAT our 535d has this option makes a huge difference to shift speed. Also sharpens throttle and firmer steering.   

• Like 1

The grills are really nice and excellent quality for $42 or something on ali shipped   2months wait though. 

have tried to polish up the headlights already and its better than before but needs some more work. 

Cant afford an m car so settle for double slat grills :)

at least its better than the tri colour grills imo haha

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, balancerider said:

looking good. i just think double slat grilles on non M cars are trying a bit hard. kinda like m badges...

Huh, never realised they were an M car thing - have dual slat black grilles but with stock chrome kidneys.

I thought it was just a later model thing?

They never did dual slat grills for e46 so most likely aftermarket unfortunately