Sign in to follow this  
Seba

N54Tuning

Looking for all the N54 out there enthusiast to share info, tips and knowledge. And some help if needed.

On 4/28/2008 at 3:51 PM, greenday-rulz21 said:

1. Switch on radio

2. Within 10 seconds, press and hold down the 'm' button until the serial number appears (takes around 10secs) to enter the radio's service menu.

3. Use the + or - buttons to cycle through the menu settings until you see AREA JAPAN or just JAPAN (varies a bit depending on radio)

4. Use the 1...6 buttons to select either OCEANIA (or OCE) or EUROPE - both are valid settings for New Zealand - see below for differences.

5. Switch radio off to store the change

Your radio has now been reprogrammed to receive NZ FM frequencies!

Differences between OCEANIA and EUROPE modes on an E46 Business RDS radio (other radios may vary slightly):

a) EUROPE has LW, MW and FM. OCEANIA has AM and FM only.

B) OCEANIA shows ST for a FM stereo station; EUROPE doesn't show anything for stereo or mono FM stations.

c) EUROPE has the soft keys set to RDS and TP; OCEANIA has RDS and PTY

***Info came from Jochen

Lot of knowledge here regards N54, great satisfaction to drive when maintained.

Large performance gain capacity with this motor, great chassis, just needs well spent $.

• Like 1

I've gone from 241hp at the wheels to 343hp at the wheels with catless downpipes and a dyno tune, everything else still stock. With a new intake and upgraded intercooler would be looking at 380hp-400hp at the wheels.

So easy to get big gains out of the N54, just make sure the engine is healthy by doing all the maintenance on time and correctly.

• Like 1

Hi Seba, i see you're based in Wellington and not far from me. if you need  specific coding or a tune, keys etc (stage 1) happy to help. also have diagnostics tools 

• Like 1

Don't let the engine eat a fan belt. ?

These engines do require a bit of maintence, and there are a few things that can go wrong and cause some big headaches, but they are very rewarding cars if looked after imo. 

If you want more power (ECU tunning), MHD tuning is a great cost effective solution and its an app on your phone. As @monkeygod11 mentioned you can get near 400 hp with a few mods which is approaching M3 power..

• Like 1

15 hours ago, promo said:

Hi Seba, i see you're based in Wellington and not far from me. if you need  specific coding or a tune, keys etc (stage 1) happy to help. also have diagnostics tools 

Edited by Seba

16 hours ago, monkeygod11 said:

I've gone from 241hp at the wheels to 343hp at the wheels with catless downpipes and a dyno tune, everything else still stock. With a new intake and upgraded intercooler would be looking at 380hp-400hp at the wheels.

So easy to get big gains out of the N54, just make sure the engine is healthy by doing all the maintenance on time and correctly.

Hi I got my VRSF catless down pipes and I need to install, already check with 2 mechanic and they have no clue because y have no propeller jack and tools I can’t do it my self and I’m actually not confident enough. So you do yourself or you know someone can help.

Edited by Seba

Sorry mate I'm up in Auckland and have had all my work done at Eurosurgeon (I only do the basics on mine), no idea about Wellington. 

• Sad 1

Changing down pipes is a bit of a challenge first time doing it. If you don't have something to jack the car up I wouldn't recomend it. 

It is not super technical but it is a little time consuming.  When I've done it I always take the steering rack off the sub frame and it makes the job pretty easy as there is not much space to work with. 

I found the Trick to the downpipes if doing on stands is holding them up together and twist/ intertwine them towards the turbos, get someone to hold one while you threat the clamps on just tight enough so you can still twist them to align with the exhaust up. 

Mandrel bent downpipes form Aliexpress were inexpensive and surprisingly good quality. 

• Like 1

N54s as you know do respond very well to tuning and here is what I have done. New charge pipe (Just do it), intake port clean (they get really clogged up) Oil catch can and upgraded PCV valve, bigger intercooler. MHD (9.0) stage 1+ tune for 98 RON. Boost by gear 10 psi 1st 12 psi second. Linear throttle map for better control. Stoptech Pad and new rotors, Koni Yellow shocks and Tein Springs. draggy says 0-100 in 5.1

Edited by Herbmiester
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 10:35 PM, Herbmiester said:

N54s as you know do respond very well to tuning and here is what I have done. New charge pipe (Just do it), intake port clean (they get really clogged up) Oil catch can and upgraded PCV valve, bigger intercooler. MHD (9.0) stage 1+ tune for 98 RON. Boost by gear 10 psi 1st 12 psi second. Linear throttle map for better control. Stoptech Pad and new rotors, Koni Yellow shocks and Tein Springs. draggy says 0-100 in 5.1

Hey bro, from where you bought your cone intake?

Edited by Seba

2 hours ago, Seba said:

Hey bro, from where you bought your cone intake?

Upper Hutt. Ran coned filters but the sold them as I could not see any benefit and neither did the Dragy. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 10:01 AM, Herbmiester said:

Upper Hutt. Ran coned filters but the sold them as I could not see any benefit and neither did the Dragy. 

Hey bro, you know who know how to put careless down pipes? All the DIY are for N54 with the steering wheel on the other side I could not do it.

Cheers. 

1 hour ago, Seba said:

Hey bro, you know who know how to put careless down pipes? All the DIY are for N54 with the steering wheel on the other side I could not do it.

Cheers. 

I have not done it but saw a video a few years back of it being done. It was a difficult job, personally I would take it to a reputable exhaust shop or try Jon at Auto 38.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 8:00 PM, Seba said:

Cheers. 

To make it easier you need to pull the steering rack down. Don't have to disconnet the powersteering hoses etc, just take it off its mounting spot. This will gives you heaps of room to get to the o2 sensors and vband clamps. 

• Like 1