Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

Continuous iDrive Reboot - Solved

Solved: pulled the fuse for my unused Navigation. Fuse #17. 

So I have the dreaded iDrive Reboot.  It's hard to diagnose.

Forums are full of "Mine did something vaguely similar to that, ended up fixing itself when I filled the washer fluid" sort of BS posts you have to sift through.

Here is what mine is doing.

As soon as I unlock the car I can hear a speaker popping sound.  Similar to the pop you get when plugging in a lead to an amp.  This is audible before I even open the door of the car.

Once in the car the popping sound continues every 10 or so seconds.

Turning the ignition on to ACC results in the system starting normally.  Screen pops up.  Radio starts playing.  It will remain working like this.

Starting the car will result in a speaker popping sound and the iDrive system rebooting.
BMW Logo is displayed on screen.
It will then briefly display the radio screen (where it was left).
In 1 to 2 seconds it will reboot with a speaker popping sound.
It will cycle like this endlessly.
I drove a 20min trip with it doing this.

If you turn the car off and then back to ACC the system will boot as it should.
However if you try to select Navigation.  It doesn't display anything.

Before I go about replacing the iDrive Motherboard like most people do.  I would like to diagnose it a little further.  I don't think it is the MB as the system will boot normally in ACC mode.  It only starts rebooting when I unlock the car for first use (key not even in the ignition) and when I start the car.

It makes me think it is related to the Nav.  As I have a feeling this boots as soon as the car is unlocked.  I know this as I used it's power a while back to trigger a amplifier remote.  And the amp would turn on the moment the car was unlocked and wouldn't turn off for a few mins after it was locked.  This has since been removed.  No Amp present.

I'm going to disconnect the Nav system as  first step.

Clip of what is happening.

Edited by Driftit
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, qube said:

have u tried a hard reset just in case?

Yeah I have.

When it is in its Boot loop you can't do anything at all.

However when it is on ACC I was able to manually reset the device by holding down the two eject buttons and pressing the volume knob.
It restarted as expected.  But didn't solve the loop issue once the car was started.

hows your alternator/voltage etc.

otherwise do you think it could be an overheating issue?

try taking out the dvd cd as I have read that the laser on that could fail causing reboot.

Edited by qube

If you have ISTA there's a service function on there called "create new boot file" or something along those lines. it takes about 45min to do it but it was designed for this specific issue. Doesn't always work though. Definitely worth a try. It has worked for me in the past.

Edited by F10er

I'm going to check on the voltage.  I have read a few posts where it was related to Alternators failing.  But the info is half assed.
I don't think it is overheating as it will run on ACC for as long as I like.
There is no discs in the drives.

I do have ISTA but on another device.  Will retrieve it and give it a go.

Fixed it. Pulled the fuse for the Nav. It's all Jap gear and worthless to me anyway. Everything is back to normal. 

• Like 1