Sign in to follow this  
Blackie

E46 M3

Haha just saw it and came here to see if anyone had seen it.

Interesting mileage history, reregistered and SMG, wonder what the deal is.

Cheap as though.

The description on the trademe mobile app differs significantly from the desktop version.

"Not for the faint hearted" says enough.

• Haha 1

Not cheap, probably priced about right if not a little expensive for an ex write off with issues and im guessing no service history.

"Hi even with a blown engine this car is very cheap, any reason for sale?"

Ok then... 

• Haha 3

"This car has not been thrashed"

Seriously...

Not cheap...

Interesting it's the only coupe on the market. They are getting really rare now. 

10 hours ago, Driftit said:

"Hi even with a blown engine this car is very cheap, any reason for sale?"

Ok then... 

Well, when you consider others have been on for 38-40, you could easily drop 10k on a rebuild and still be ahead. I guess thats what they're sayin

Be differcult to value this vechicle without having a good- good look, who did repair,   certfied? Subframe/ tracking issues??

If it was written off, it would be a decent whack! Or parts required to repair, not availale on request??

• Like 1

Its a real shame there is no public database of written off vehicles. Be great to search the vin and have a description and photos.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, KwS said:

Its a real shame there is no public database of written off vehicles. Be great to search the vin and have a description and photos.

Have said this since 2003 when the frontal impact laws and liability laws changed for damaged vehicles.

All that happens is the vehicle is marked as damaged upon import.
Whilst you need an engineers report to re-vin the car.  You don't have to give that to anyone afterwards.  And anyone with it can not hand it to anyone else without permission.

Fun times.  It's a game of how well you can hide the repair.
M cars are a hard one.  They could have been written off because they couldn't find an bonnet and bumper.  But also and prob more likely is that they are a sports car and were crashed being driven hard.

• Like 3

To shed some light on this topic, the owner is a panel beater and carried out the repair himself 12 years ago. He had to replace the left chassis rail.

• Like 2

Not necessarily. A light non air bag inflating tap can knock out the front chassis rails very easily.

• Like 2

Maybe I'm an optimist but considering everything I've ever heard about how stringent the engineer cert and recompliance process is, I'd have to think that it's a good car and it's hardly worth worrying about. Sure, it'll hurt resale but that's beside the point. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, bradgalbraith said:

Maybe I'm an optimist but considering everything I've ever heard about how stringent the engineer cert and recompliance process is, I'd have to think that it's a good car and it's hardly worth worrying about. Sure, it'll hurt resale but that's beside the point. 

yeah, I wouldn't be so optimistic on this one to be totally honest. The system is there, but dealing with it everyday you soon realize how floored it is and some of the workmanship that gets through is frightening. 

The current system is not bad, HOWEVER there are still some quite frankly F****** horrible repairs going through certification. We have had cars come through with shocking welding and panel replacement which has been done be people with the "Icar" tickets.. it is pretty scary.

Given that the repair took place 12 years ago when the processes were not in place like they are today and the whole certification process was still in the days of being a boys club, I would definitely be getting it looked at to ensure it has all been done properly. Lifting up the carpets to ensure things are on on the inside where the new rail has been put in and has been painted/cavity waxed as required

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, bradgalbraith said:

Yep you only have to search on youtube for Arthur Tussik to see how repairs are done overseas on rails... Pull the rail out, cut a window where the kink remains and straighten that piece further using a hammer. take the piece cut off and straighten on a bench then weld all back together and paint. An amazing guy but that approach wouldn't cut it over here when the engineer inspects.

• Like 1

You also need to think if it was written off 12 years go when the car was worth more and parts were more available, it must have been bad for the insurer to not fix it. 

• Like 1

But optimistically its been “fine” for 12 years since the repair so must be okay? 

(trying to justify it cuz its the closest ill get to ever owning an e46 m3 haha)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KwS said:

You also need to think if it was written off 12 years go when the car was worth more and parts were more available, it must have been bad for the insurer to not fix it. 

I would argue parts were less avail 12 years ago and more expensive too. You couldn't just grab Chinese steel off Aliexpress back then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Yep you only have to search on youtube for Arthur Tussik to see how repairs are done overseas on rails... Pull the rail out, cut a window where the kink remains and straighten that piece further using a hammer. take the piece cut off and straighten on a bench then weld all back together and paint. An amazing guy but that approach wouldn't cut it over here when the engineer inspects.

Thats what we used to call craftsmanship. Before the throwaway generation. ? 

• Like 1