We'll see it again in six months for 35k

"no issues, lady owner, never thrashed"

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Blackie said:

SOLD

We'll see it again in six months for 35k

With no mention of previous damage

• Like 1

Man, this really puts a floor under the market now... Write off with issues and no major maintenance addressed for mid $20s. Be interesting to see the next wave of listings...

49 minutes ago, m325i said:

Man, this really puts a floor under the market now... Write off with issues and no major maintenance addressed for mid $20s. Be interesting to see the next wave of listings...

This is how I interpreted it...

Not sold as a write off from what I could see. The car had been written off 12 years ago but was sold certified/repaired and road legal.

Said about leak from dipstick tube (o-ring?) and fuel guage not working, etc. Relatively minor fixes?

Maintenance was not mentioned in the listing - maybe you spoke with the owner?

Classified price was $23K and listing said open to offers.

2003 Black, SMG Coupe with personalised plate

• Like 1

maybe should sell mine then ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Blackie said:

This is how I interpreted it...

Not sold as a write off from what I could see. The car had been written off 12 years ago but was sold certified/repaired and road legal.

Said about leak from dipstick tube (o-ring?) and fuel guage not working, etc. Relatively minor fixes?

Maintenance was not mentioned in the listing - maybe you spoke with the owner?

Classified price was $23K and listing said open to offers.

2003 Black, SMG Coupe with personalised plate

You're being awfully defensive about this car...?

11 hours ago, m325i said:

The other m3 that was for sale over lockdown with a 'questionable' history popped up on facebook for $18k a few weeks back

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, KwS said:

Maybe. Just I feel people are making a lot of assumptions without having called about the car or viewed it. Some are E46 M3 owners of course.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KwS said:

You're awfully keen to talk it down; three posts on the first page questioning it's parentage based purely on assumptions.  @Blackie is taking a factual, unemotional look at it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Olaf said:

You're awfully keen to talk it down; three posts on the first page questioning it's parentage based purely on assumptions.  @Blackie is taking a factual, unemotional look at it.

@KwS made four posts on the first page actually, and only one of them could be construed as conjecture, the rest were excellently raised points in the context of a "for sale" thread on a forum, especially when the information given by the seller was less than crystal clear.

• Like 1

As an aside, it's very obvious as to who has and who hasn't worked in the panel trade whenever "repaired" cars like this come up for sale.

12 hours ago, Blackie said:

Some are E46 M3 owners of course.

We're worse than Tesla fanboys

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, leichtbau said:

As an aside, it's very obvious as to who has and who hasn't worked in the panel trade whenever "repaired" cars like this come up for sale.

I'm a trade qualified panelbeater and painter but not sure how that's relevant to the thread considering no one has inspected the work or even viewed the car??

• Like 2

On 10/15/2020 at 9:53 PM, leichtbau said:

@KwS made four posts on the first page actually, and only one of them could be construed as conjecture, the rest were excellently raised points in the context of a "for sale" thread on a forum, especially when the information given by the seller was less than crystal clear.

Back to school for you. I'm not interested in post count and referred only to the three posts questioning parentage of the car such as "guessing no service history", "sounds like a substantial shunt then", " it must have been bad for the insurer to not fix it"; if these imaginative guesses meet your personal standard for "excellently raised points", you're probably more at home on Facebook.  No points for Gryffindor.

• Haha 4

On 10/15/2020 at 8:40 PM, Gaz said:

The other m3 that was for sale over lockdown with a 'questionable' history popped up on facebook for $18k a few weeks back

And sold for $16k within days of listing on facebook. I heard SMG was shot.

2 minutes ago, qube said:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/2828385772

gonna be keeping an eye on this auction.. it might finally be time to get into an M3.. was originally thinking E92 but might be an E46 even better!!

Damn, wonder why its $1 reserve - looks great, Manual, low kms, 2005, great colour combo...

scratch that. his buy now price is 38k and has an offer for 35k. I have a feeling it will get close to his asking price thru auction anyway.

Yeah, this one certainly ticks a few boxes! I see that it's a UK import, but speedo and odometer is in Kms - is that normal? The vin decoder says its LHD, (but that often comes up incorrectly in my experience) - Unless its a euro to UK import, then converted to RHD? That might explain the Kms instead of Miles. But vin decoder also says S812 National Version England / Ireland.

Mine was converted from mph to km/h on arrival in NZ from the UK by BMW NZ. 

On 10/17/2020 at 10:13 AM, tankguy said:

And sold for $16k within days of listing on facebook. I heard SMG was shot.

Where was this???

13 hours ago, qube said:

gonna be keeping an eye on this auction.. it might finally be time to get into an M3.. was originally thinking E92 but might be an E46 even better!!

That one looks awesome. 

First thing I'd do though is replace that stupid looking shifter with an OEM one :D

• Like 2

13 hours ago, qube said:

does anyone else just get a feeling of "used and abused" from this? 

half arsed photos, gumby boi shifter, comments from the previous owner...

dunno why, just get that feeling about it ?

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Arron said:

Hmmm.... maybe...

I like how he says the rod bearings have no signs of failure. If he opened it up to check then why not put new bearings in? (they are cheap). Otherwise if a rod bearing is showing signs of failure... its failed already. That or hes magic and can see through things

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Arron said:

Careful, not allowed to speculate about cars in here!

• Like 1