Sign in to follow this  
lord_jagganath

2001 E38 728i, one of the last to be made

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3773530059347719 

Looks lovely in the photos, anything in particular to look out for? I would imagine the M52B28 would be tired by now

Image may contain: car and outdoor

Image may contain: people sitting

Well maintained face lift e38 for sale. Runs beautifully and has a great interior that matches the outside (will take photos). everything is fully functional (no dead pixels etc) including Sports EDC suspension, Rear power sunshade, widescreen OEM head unit with cd stacker, front and rear parking sensors, cruise control, towbar, power seats and more. Price is firm

• Like 3

Appears to be a decent buy as long you are prepared to throw some money at it to make it reliable. Probably still on many original parts and fluids and it looks like its just hasn't been used much since coming to NZ (good and bad). 

Biggest thing to check is all the suspension components, particularly the front control arms and the steering components like tie rods. Notorious on these cars and can cause horrible vibrations (I battled this). Steering box can also have a dead spot in the center and cause vibrations. This one looks like a nice car though.

Also, the M52B28 in my e36 with 230,000kms is anything but tired, so if it's been looked after I don't see why it would be.

Edited by M M
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Can anyone advise the firm price they speak of?

• Thanks 1

Such a handsome shape - late 90's early 2000's BMW were on their game.

• Like 3

Looks decent, as highlighted these are hard on suspension and the edc shocks would be worth checking for leaking and if ok, if not changing to none edc is the only real option.
Check all the electrics and likely it’s had or will need some coolant hoses replaced. 

M539 on youtube should be essential viewing for anyone taking the plunge.

• Like 2

There are very few good ones left.  I would like to horde this one!  Looks good in white with style 32 wheels.  Hopefully there is evidence of maintenance 

price is fair if there aren’t big bills needed.  As mentioned earlier suspension wear is common and they really need to be kept fresh.   EDC shocks are the same cost as the car.....but you can replace with bilstein. Cooling system - water pump etc wears out.

check all the little things like window washers, stereo and speakers as it will annoy if broken. Trim often breaks.

engine should be bullet proof if serviced.  Oil leaks common.

tyres are another big cost relative to the value of the car.

I’m on my second - great car....bugger all investment.........had one since 2007 and I love it.

• Like 1

Looks nice but I remember my dad's old 730i V8 being slow.  I can see a 728i being positively pedestrian.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, GorGasm said:

Looks nice but I remember my dad's old 730i V8 being slow.  I can see a 728i being positively pedestrian.

It’s a lounge - it’s not meant to be spanked.   However saying that my 728i with some revs on piles on the speed perfectly well.  I drive it to Coromandel frequently and most drivers hold it up......it carries its speed well.   If it was really slow I would have quit mine years ago.

• Like 1

the 2.8L in a 7 series isnt as bad as it sounds. its certainly no rocket but it can still cruise very well and still get up to speed reasonably quick. I think you cant be picky with E38's given how few there must be now

• Like 4

Well blow me down, the 728i is apparently faster 0-100 than the 730i.

• Haha 1

Probably because the 730i has the baby v8 not the 3L i6. 
M52b28 vs m60b30

Oh man if i could, i would! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mmmm very nice. 

I'd love one of these to put a GM LS2 V8 in so it moves and is a fun looking grunty package. One day! 

Arguably one of the best styled BMWs of all time. 

• Like 1

Cool cars. Have a 740i as a paddock basher. Has taken an absolute beating.

A V8 one would be an awesome cruiser.

On 10/16/2020 at 12:42 PM, GorGasm said:

Well blow me down, the 728i is apparently faster 0-100 than the 730i.

The 728i is even quicker if it has the sort diff ratio option.

The 730i V8 was pretty much the dog of the range - like an E30 320i auto.... uses the same/moe fuel than the bigger engines, ends up slower than the smaller engines ?

The M52TU in the later ones was a much more advanced engine... though the little V8 sounded nice... (mostly because it worked hard a lot!)

• Like 1