Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

Recommend me a little van thing...

Heya, Im after a company work hack. Ideally a small van or panel van or even a ghastly little mpv thing, deisel would be nice if solid engine and not garbage. Auto/Manual dont care. 

Doesn't have to be huge, but the stuff I haul around for work is quite tall so doesn't fit into your average ute with a canopy etc.

Things Ive been looking at include Daihatsu Materias/Toyota Bb/Cubes/Suzuki Carryall APVS (even a Nissan Scargo would work...) etc etc.. I hate myself but need to find something... Suzuki APV currently appeals the most, but I know nothing about them. 

Anyone had any experience with small hacks like this? (or willing to admit to it?)

Edited by Jacko

30 minutes ago, qube said:

Funcargo?

Ractis looks to fit the bill too, probably cant go wrong with vitz running gear ? 

• Like 1

Can you get away with something that could at least be fun in some other way? 

I have a Daihatsu Rocky 2.8td. It's pretty sh*t. But it goes anywhere and has a ton of space. It's my beach/fishing/parts vehicle. 

BB/Coo/Materia would be interesting, they have plenty of space, but will be low on power. the bonus is the 4spd auto not CVT. 

Edited by lord_jagganath
scratch my suggestions.

What are VW Caddys like, the 1.2 Tsi things?

Edited by Jacko

The 1.9 tdi caddys are a cracking van. Runs on the sniff off an oily rag, low maintenance, decent room and comfort in the front. 

Caddy is a top idea.  And then, this (because VW Lego):

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 1

I had the 2007 Caddy 1. 9tdi, and I honestly couldn't recommend one enough. 

• Like 1

Off to bunch of dealers today to sample the market of small shitboxes to move strangely shaped boxes.

The one and only Ford Transit! Probably a bit bigger than what you’re looking for but you can never have enough space!

2 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

The one and only Ford Transit! Probably a bit bigger than what you’re looking for but you can never have enough space!

one of my facebook mates is in a constant battle of wits with one he's dubbed Flawed Tragic ?, though it seems it doesn't want to grow up and leave home (still under warranty, thankfully)... where 'home' is the dealership.

Pondered around a few car yards today, whenever I do Im always amazed at the terrible condition of cars a few years old and with odos with 5 digits on the clock. $50,000 cars that need a respray to fix... 

Didnt find a VW caddy, but found a shed load of Ractises (Racti?), the first generation has MUCH more cargo space than the newer ones. Seems pretty much on point with what I want, now I just need to find a white one (for sign writing) in 1.5l with flappy paddle gearbox (S trim... sporty!).. will keep looking into Caddys too.   

Done a lot of reading about the modern Caddys... lots of DSG failures and turbos going pop... 

Ractis done, just got to sort out sign writing now. 1st gen racti, stupid large cargo area (thing is like a tardis) with fold flat rear seats. 1.5 big block, flappy paddle 7 speed gearbox, TRD exhaust and Koni sports struts and springs,  and a couple of JDMAF subs under the front seats ;)

Ractisis.png

Toyota make so many small shitboxes with terrible names, Ractis is something like Recreation Active Sports... I dunno about the Toyota Isis... 

Was looking at a later model S ractis as well, which come with orange stitched sports seats and get rear wheel disk brakes, but the interior space on the later ones has nothing on the earlier generation so common sense won on the day..

Serviced everything down to a new waterpump, still got to research how to change fluid on the CVT, but Seri graphics did a slick job.

Things actually pretty fun to drive. Its slow as sh*t but it actually grips fairly well, and the TRD exhaust sounds hilarious once VTEC kicks in yo (even got a pop!) :D and the CVT paddle shifters nearly behave like a DSG

123526854_3205858036208311_4555963908622194453_o.jpg

123464262_3205857949541653_4975603552792203076_o.jpg

• Like 3