Sign in to follow this  
LemonHunter

The shouldn’t’ve sold it thread

I bet we have some good stories and lamentations.

will begin.

199X E34 540iS in Technoviolet with cream leather interior and factory LSD and manual, purchased approx 2008 for 8.8K, sold approx 2010 for 12.5K, now worth 25K?

1990 E30 323 Manual Coupe, Metallic Blau, LSD, Borbet 15’s and Hartge Body kit. Purchased for $3200 In 2015, sold 2016 for 2.5k (insurance write off, could have probably fixed <$1k

• Like 1

I was casting my mind back over BMWs I've owned, and tbh, I don't think there are any that I shouldn't have sold. I've owned many cars that do fall into that category - a low mileage Jensen Interceptor Mk3, for instance - but the BMWs have come and gone at the right time.

Even the M635CSi and the early 840Ci. The turbo M10 E30, the E21 323i (my first BMW), Mrs M's E30 320i, and even the early 80s 5-series Thundersaloon (5.7 SBC, 5-speed manual). They were all great, all the right car at the time, and all sold for a good reason.

Not sure if this is a bmw exclusive thread, but... 

i shoulda kept the 89 Mitsi Galant gti liftback i had 20 yrs ago. NZ new that was so practical and had a bit of go too ?. 4G63B (pretty sure thats the engine code), manual and ESC suspension (yes it still worked!) - was so cool! I would have another today but they are so few and far between now ☹️

Damn, just realised i said ‘20 years ago’ ☹️

Edited by treone
  • Like 1

I've got a looong list haha. Top of it would be my DC2 Integra Type R's (had 5 of them over the years) , Evo 4 RS, factory manual E30 325i. These 2 were the favourites, will have to get another one in the future but at 10x the price probably:

IMG_4572_zpsunregdjc.jpg

IMG_1347.jpg

Should've kept my first dc2r turbo and should've bought a gtr when they were affordable. Mad Ragrets. 

• Like 1

4 x 180sx Type X's

ST205 GT-Four - low kms and immaculate

97 WRX RA - low kms and immaculate 

84 Soarer MZ10 2.8gt Manual

All of my E30's (only to make money on, don't actually miss them other than my series car)

There is probably others. I have more regrets not buying certain cars when I could. But mostly because of their perceived value now rather than how they actually perform. Don't drive your heroes. 32 GTR, I'm looking at you. 

Tidy AE86 Trueno.. for $500

^ that was a big oof, mate.

1983 Volvo 240GL :- good times were had in that brick

1989 E34 528i:- modified to the hilt, but that was why it had to pass on. 

1996 E34 525i touring: - I miss the machine. I should have kept it 

1991 Peugeot 505 GL: grew up with one of these. I really want one. have had opportunities to get them here but stymied by a lack of talent. 

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

. I have more regrets not buying certain cars when I could. 

Bang on. 

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

4 x 180sx Type X's

These things are an absolute hoon to skid around in.. cant believe u had 4 type x’s thats madness

1 hour ago, Jacko said:

Tidy AE86 Trueno.. for $500

Oh yeah. I turned down swapping my cl1 euro r for a tidy, stock, road legal nzdm AE86 levin. What a f**king asshat ?

• Haha 1

I've done some stupid things too, turned down swapping my built turbo DC2 for a 32 Gtr.. Guy wanted about 1k his way from memory?

My old E28. Only car I wish I still had. It was very rusty on the sills and stuff which is why I got rid of it, but man it was an awesome car with the M30, Getrag 265 and LSD. Would get thumbs up literally every time I drove it for all kinds of people, girls cheering out of car windows, owners of M3s and M5s complimenting it. I still can't believe the attention it got, with the flaking paint, mismatched fenders and pieces of rust floor falling out behind. It would do run after run at the drags with no complaints and no issues, super consistent. Even got 2nd in a DYO with it. And to add the cherry on top I made more from it than I ever spent. If any car deserved to live it was that one, and to this day I regret cutting it up.

9.PNG

drags.jpg

Edited by M M
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, qube said:

These things are an absolute hoon to skid around in.. cant believe u had 4 type x’s thats madness

Yeah they were good fun.  My partner still has her S13 200sx.  Though she is thinking of selling it and buying a E82 135i and letting someone else who has time to play with the S13.

that would be a nice upgrade to a modern car but man, any silvia, skyline, nissan rwd, jdm from the 90's and eraly 2000's is a thing of rarity now.

edit:

Just found this.. I remember seeing it years ago with the plate FUGTIV. 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/2826375880

Edited by qube

Had all these at once - once upon a time in the 90's.

HK GTS 327 "Bathurst"

HQ GTS 350

HQ LS 308

What I could buy with the sum of those now...

3_monaros.jpg

Edited by hqstu
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, m325i said:

1990 Mazda GTX Familia sedan

The generation prior BFMR in the two tone white and grey were the TITS when I was a teenager

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Sammo said:

The generation prior BFMR in the two tone white and grey were the TITS when I was a teenager

I'd love one these days but they're almost impossible to buy. They all got thrashed, blown up and scrapped years ago. 

Even my twincam non turbo BFMR was awesome, especially on gravel roads. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LemonHunter said:

I bet we have some good stories and lamentations.

will begin.

199X E34 540iS in Technoviolet with cream leather interior and factory LSD and manual, purchased approx 2008 for 8.8K, sold approx 2010 for 12.5K, now worth 25K?

1990 E30 323 Manual Coupe, Metallic Blau, LSD, Borbet 15’s and Hartge Body kit. Purchased for $3200 In 2015, sold 2016 for 2.5k (insurance write off, could have probably fixed <$1k

The E34 is being looked after :) 

Edited by Herbmiester
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, treone said:

i shoulda kept the 89 Mitsi Galant gti liftback i had 20 yrs ago. NZ new that was so practical and had a bit of go too ?. 4G63B (pretty sure thats the engine code), manual and ESC suspension (yes it still worked!) - was so cool! I would have another today but they are so few and far between now ☹️

I had an 89 Galant VR-4, the "Evo 0" and it also had a lot of trick kit for the time. Cool car actually.

• Like 1

Never bought into the whole 'shouldn't sold of because they are worth x amount now', too many shortcomings 

I view the situation as 'should of owned one because they were cheap and readily available at a time you could afford one'

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

XJ40 Sovereign. Sold it with 23,000K on the clock for pennies on the dollar buy another E30. Still got the 6 digit cell phone number from the car phone though!

Edit: I'd buy the TWR fettled XJR in a second if one came up for sale, the AJ6 engine is fit for a train. Went down the line in between XJ220's as well!

Edited by leichtbau

9 hours ago, treone said:

Had the sohc version of this and 2x ZR-4’s. Great cars.

05F36BC1-C0B5-4899-A99A-5DBAC552C0A6.jpeg

E83F494F-0412-4A44-B568-C2ECCA327EE4.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sammo said:

Yep that dohc turbo era was great.

• Like 1