Sign in to follow this  
ssbmw

I have an opportunity to purchase an E92 335i Dinan S3 spec - awesome opportunity or potential can of worms?

Hi All,

I am currently domiciled in the San Francisco Bay area. A couple of years after arriving here I met a gentleman with an absolutely immaculate 2008 E92 335i coupe that he painstakingly over  a few years converted into a Dinan S3 335i. Sadly, he passed away due to this horrific Covid 19 a few months ago. I have an opportunity to buy this car. 57,000 miles,  (around 92,000 k's) white, 6 speed manual with SSK. Dark red leather. Immaculate condition. He has spent around $25k USD on this car to be what he wanted it to be.  I have driven it - it is quick - commensurate with the 408bhp it is meant to be putting out, and and handles wonderfully. Seriously fun car to drive.

This is the article about the Dinan S3

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15130406/dinan-s3-bmw-335i-specialty-file/

Ultimately, keen to hear from people who have owned the 335i twin turbos. I know there have been some horror stories out there. Even a very close friend of mine who owns a reputable BMW workshop in Auckland has suggested I err on the side of caution. On the flipside, I have read some amazing reviews on this car -even in its standard spec.

This will only be a weekend fun car. However, I can secure it at a price slightly cheaper than a standard 6 speed with similar mileage - so it is compelling from a financial perspective.

Keen to hear your thoughts on such a vehicle.

Edited by ssbmw

If you want it, buy it.

If not, don't buy it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dinan ?Do it?

Great car. One of the best of its era. Very very understated/stealth in standard spec. Pretty amazing value these days too. Feels modern even by today’s standards. Great fuel economy too. The longer wheel base means they ride well. IMO the e92 shape is one of the all time great looking BMW coupes.

I owned one up until recently (still in the family) and miss it a lot. Get to drive it from time to time and instantly smile.

There are heaps of great DIY’s out there to remediate the common problems. Mine hasn’t skipped one beat in 50kms of ownership. 

• Like 1

Hi Aaron,

Great feedback man. I was hoping to connect with people who have owned such a car (apart from a X3 - the most modern BMW I have owned - is the E39 M5 I own now - which I know you own too). 

As a matter of interest - did you buy it new? If not, what mileage did it have when you bought it?  My concern was the negative things I had heard about turbo failure - and wondered whether the massive increase in power with the Dinan enhancements would place extra stress on the engine.

Cheers.

I bought mine just over 6 years ago as the second owner with just on 40k. Previous owner had bought it new to replace his e46 M3 so ticked most options. I used it mainly as a daily to replace an e36 325i which I owned for roughly 10 years. 

As I’d had the e39 M5 for a while at that point, I wasn’t exactly looking for heaps of power, just something that was quiet, subtle and a little more grown up than the e36.

I didn’t even consider the 335i at that point as I thought (at that time) that turbos were cheating and if you need turbos, just get the M3 right? I was to be proven so wrong.

So instead I tried a couple of n52 cars (330i, 130i, z4) and was bored. Then, a very tidy silver 335i popped up at the local dealer one weekend. I dropped by and took it for a drive. I think I drove 400 meters up the road and immediately realized this was different. It was not boring at all... It also has a distinctively different sound (which imo sounds exotic) compared to the N52’s, great ride, excellent intuitive gearbox, great steering. 

If you’re used to the torque the S62 puts down in almost any gear, you will love the 335i. To me it feels V8 athletic without spending so much time at the pump. 

I liked it so much, and used it so much, I sold my first e39 M5 from it simply never being used... But that’s another story...

Anyway. There are probably many better cars that have now replaced it, but anyone who ever got a turn to drive it always came back asking what the hell is under the bonnet. 

Edited by str8_6
  • Like 3

Aaron, once again thanks for the feedback. Its great that you had a positive experience with this engine. I will be making a call over the next few weeks.

The good thing is that the price I have been presented is fairly compelling too - so if I choose to, there is some fat in it if I want to flip it.

Somehow though, if I do buy it, I believe I may end up keeping it....! I sense it may be addictive! 

I have owned a tuned 335i for 4 years now and have to say that bang for your buck there are very few cars that can match it. The N54 is now a very well known thing, it has a few weaknesses, charge-pipe, intercooler, HP fuel pump, worn out injectors, carbon buildup in the inlet ports but its a well built engine that if maintained will work well. Dinan tuned cars are pretty old school compared to things like MHD and the boost levels are quite conservative. What's nice is the bigger oil cooler and intercooler, N54s run hot. I am sure the chassis upgrades are worthwhile but not sure if it has an LSD which is one of the best upgrades to any 335i.  If you like it buy it.

• Like 2

If he's spent that sort of money on it then you'd think he's addressed many of the common failure points and more. To me the main issue with the average 335i on sale here in NZ is lack preemptive repairs; most have next to no service history and are likely on many original parts given the age and k's.

• Like 2

Not sure what the Dinan badging means to sales or collection values.

Looking at magazine article, turbos would appear to be stock, so would have, unless updated, the usual, N54 wear, wastegates, thrusts, bearing issues, etc.

Heaps of options now for N54, turbos in US are cheap and much stronger, so don't be put off by maintainance.

I have owned a few BMWs, but nothing as satisfying as my 335 E91.

If the price is right, go for it.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Just the type of feed back I was looking for. Yes, the vehicle had a LSD added in the last year or so.

There are quite a few compelling factors based on the feed-back I am hearing. 

I have been given 1st option on the car - and my friend's wife would rather the car go to me rather than sell it to a car dealer. I have a few more weeks to make my mind on which way I go. Other issues rear its head, like not having enough space for my 3 cars - but I am sure I can work on a solution for that one.

I'd like a E46 or E92 M3 - but as we know prices of these on a global level have lifted. Just doing some research on some cars that were sold with the same Dinan S3 spec in the States over the years, and the price presented to me is more than reasonable.

I think Dinan has a very good reputation here. As mentioned in the showroom section awhile back depicting my E39 M5 Dinan S1, the DInan badge is quite revered here - in the same way that many Euro tuning brands carry some kudos in Europe. I was sceptical initially, but I love my Dinan upgrades on the M5 - not to mention the rumble of the Dinan exhaust! 

Appreciate the feedback - thanks! 

I think if you get first option on a special deceased estate vehicle and its one that you actually quite like, there isnt much reason to say no unless its not financially a good option for you at the time or you need to sacrifice something else in order to get it such as number of vehicles etc.

• Like 1