Sign in to follow this  
cricket0140

N54 Possible Leak Between Engine and Transmission

Hi all,

About 6 months ago I bought a 2006 e92 335i Auto with 165,000km. Been driving it with no issues, albeit with a misfire every now and then at idle - suspect an intake valve clean is needed. I drove it from Wellington to Auckland with no issues.

The issue is that I've noticed it drops a bit of oil which I'm trying to fix. It leaks about a drop or 2 every time it's parked. I've taken all the covers off (multiple times now ?) and given everything a good clean. With everything mostly cleaned, I left it running (idling) for a couple of minutes while on jack stands to see if I could spot any visible sources of the leak. Judging from what I've seen (photos) it looks like it's leaking between the engine and the transmission, which could point to the rear main seal? Doesn't look like the oil pan gasket as I can't see any oil travelling along the pan towards the transmission. The oil pan gasket as well as the valve cover gasket (including the valve cover) was replaced at 150,000km. Oil filter housing gasket was done at 157,000km. All work was done at a BMW dealership. I'll add that to my knowledge, the PCV hasn't been upgraded either.

Can't see any oil around the valve cover nor the oil filter housing either

Any thoughts? I was hoping it would be something easy to DIY but if it is indeed the RMS, I would have to get someone else to do it

Cheers

IMG_1347.JPEG

IMG_1333.JPEG

IMG_1335.JPEG

IMG_1337.JPEG

Had a look at the turbos?

On 10/26/2020 at 7:58 PM, cricket0140 said:

Yep, looks clean as though. Looking from both top and bottom

Looks like the sump gasket to me. They usually start leaking about 100000km. Yours still has the blue paint on the end of the sump bolts which means they're the original ones. Rear main seals very seldom leak on these engines. Sump gaskets are a very common issue though.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, F10er said:

Looks like the sump gasket to me. They usually start leaking about 100000km. Yours still has the blue paint on the end of the sump bolts which means they're the original ones. Rear main seals very seldom leak on these engines. Sump gaskets are a very common issue though.

Awesome observation on the bolts. Just double checked the service records from the previous owner, looks like he might've got only an estimate of the pan gasket replacement but didn't go through with it. Did get the VCG and OFHG done though. I'll have more of a dig but I do agree, I'm feeling a pan gasket replacement is needed

...Also time to start thinking whether this is something I want to tackle myself  ?

I'll make sure to put any updates with what I get up to