Sign in to follow this  
lord_jagganath

PC build: what would you build?

With AMD dropping their new GPU range today, and having had their Zen 3 high end lineup launch three weeks ago, it will probably feel like time to build a new PC. I know I feel that itch, as my 2016 i5 6600k feels like it is getting long in tooth. (I blame having only 4 cores for that) Also it is probably due for a CPU reseat and fresh thermal paste applied. 

What would your ideal builds be?  

Let's say $2k :D will need to be smart. I have an older i5 6400 build that I need to off load as a Fortnite PC, but getting around to do some proper maintenance is hard.

Im over here still rocking my 4790k@4.9Ghz like a boss 5 years on :D 

Zen 3 and a big navi are probably in my future next year, once the rush is over and pricing settles down. 

• Like 1

I'm waiting until the new year.
I'm trying to get my hands on a bunch of 3080's at the moment for people at work.

I'm still rocking a 6700k too.  It's doing it's job.  The 1070 FTW however is getting a big behind the times.  Oddly I have a machine my old man is using with a 4790 in it.

I was going to give AMD a go next.

Have heard through the grapevine that PB is going to have some massive sales come Black Friday ( but that is just that, hearsay) 

with the Radeon launch today, we should be able to tell if stock is going to be sane (or not)

Like one of the odd things is that we have stock of 3300Xs and USA etc don't/ 

6 hours ago, Jacko said:

Im over here still rocking my 4790k@4.9Ghz like a boss 5 years on :D 

Zen 3 and a big navi are probably in my future next year, once the rush is over and pricing settles down. 

Ive had mine for about that also. De-lidded running 4,5ghz @ 1.16V but it can do 4.8-4.9ghz iirc. 

Yeah waiting for pricing to settle is always the best move in my book unless you actually need a new PC. Never actually bought a Intel cpu new so its great AMD have stepped up their game these last few years.  

Amd is definitely the ecosystem to go for at the moment, and ussually are more future proof.

But cpu and gpu choices greatly depends on what you are using the pc for?

I might have a browse during digital Monday or Black Friday.  But prob in the US rather than here.  I need another monitor though.  And that I will sadly have to buy here due to size.
Currently have a Asus ROG PG278QR which has been awesome.

5 hours ago, Eagle said:

Ive had mine for about that also. De-lidded running 4,5ghz @ 1.16V but it can do 4.8-4.9ghz iirc. 

Yeah waiting for pricing to settle is always the best move in my book unless you actually need a new PC. Never actually bought a Intel cpu new so its great AMD have stepped up their game these last few years.  

Crazy low volts! Mines at 1.28v for 4.8, 1.32 for 4.9... starts to get warm though even with a 360mm AIO and not delidded. Its been running at 1.28v since new, happily. I amazed 4790ks can still hang with the big dogs (kind of!),  on things like FS2020 at 4k its very much GPU bound still with a 2070 super. 

• Like 1

AMD is definitely on the ball here. 

Enthusiast PCs, like enthusiast cars, isn't really about what you do with it, it is what you CAN do with it. :D 

Like, I am running my 6600k at a stable 4.1Ghz all core OC, and the temps barely hit 50°C on synthetic load, because I have a stonking bequiet! Dark rock 2 on it. (weighs in at 1.2 kg) .

The release data on the rx6000s looks legit, and the smart access memory stuff with Zen3 looks like a no brainer for new systems. 

Intel must be shitting emselves. 

• Like 1

Yup I think I will line up Zen3 with a 6800.

Gives me a good amount of time to watch real life benchmarks until the 8th of December for it's release.

the words are in English but this is a foreign  language.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I gave this away nearly 12 years ago, it was interesting but now I have time for my family, photography, and even cars and DIY.  You can laugh; I went mac.  No more worrying about numbers - be they benchmarks, temperatures, incremental improvements, bios revisions, settings, driver versions, or how much that next upgrade part is going to cost. ?

• Haha 2

I go away and come back and relearn it all every 5 years or so, stops it getting out of control chasing the latest and greatest and keeps it interesting. Now is a good time to relearn it all with the new gear being released, with a solid jump in performance Vs the last 5 years of incremental mediocrity.  

• Like 1

Anyway the 3070's are now available via PB Tech.  And with traditional inflated NZ prices.

Those waiting on 3080's could be waiting until after xmas.

Definitely Zen 3. As for gpu, bench for waitmarks re Big Navi ?

AMD hopefully will roll out their plan for ray tracing and a competitor to DLSS. Otherwise its whatever card suits your resolution and wallet. 

52 minutes ago, m325i said:

PS5 master race

This is the equivalent of rolling up to concurso de elegancia with a PT cruiser. 

• Haha 3

Currently rocking a GTX 1070 and I7 4770, will definitely be looking at an AMD Zen3 CPU for my next build and probably Big Navi.

@Olaf I’ve dealt with enough Macs in my time to know that’s not the case, unless of course, you apply more money to the affected area... which fixes any and all issues

• Haha 1

Im currently running a slightly older i5-6400 skylake PC but will probably move it on and switch over to the ipad air 4 to have a glorified expensive web browser :D

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jacko said:

This is the equivalent of rolling up to concurso de elegancia with a PT cruiser. 

PS5 is not a bad shout if you're building a pc specifically for gaming.

Zen 3 Cpu plus motherboard/ram/nvme drive for storage is $1200-1300+. Cheapest of the latest gpus(3070) is $1150 locally or $850-900 imported. That's before psu, extra storage, case et al. 

A $2k budget needs to wait for availability and prices to drop, or for the mid/lower range gpus to be released from amd/nvidia. 

Current games are very keen on single core performance/clock speeds so changing thermal paste and Ocing the 6600k will get another 6 months out of it while you wait for either of the above to occur. Gpu is a more important indicator for gaming performance but that hasn't been mentioned by OP. Should still be able to play all his fav games on PC with current rig with a gentle oc. 

PS5 digital version, if you can find one, does 4K 30\60 gaming for $650. Something my ryzen 3600 build from last year with a 1080ti would struggle with. If you're just interested in gaming, assuming you have a TV, that's incredible value to play games. Extra bonus if you're just a pc gamer, there's an immediate library of exceptional games to play available from the ps4 era too. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eliongater said:

@Olaf I’ve dealt with enough Macs in my time to know that’s not the case, unless of course, you apply more money to the affected area... which fixes any and all issues

What's "not the case"?  If you want another hobby, by all means build custom PCs.  If you want to execute everyday tasks without worry - such as processing images or video, designing web pages, surfing the web, etc - you have more time to do it, for longer, with a Mac.  The PC is a project car.  The Mac is a new BMW with three year's servicing.  Sure, you may prefer the project car and the tinkering, but you can't argue it'll give you more time to drive.  The Mac you pay once;  you don't need to apply more money, though the PC's modular raison de etre is to provide opportunity to 'upgrade'.

• Like 1