Sign in to follow this  
lord_jagganath

PC build: what would you build?

On 11/6/2020 at 10:07 PM, Olaf said:

What's "not the case"?  If you want another hobby, by all means build custom PCs.  If you want to execute everyday tasks without worry - such as processing images or video, designing web pages, surfing the web, etc - you have more time to do it, for longer, with a Mac.  The PC is a project car.  The Mac is a new BMW with three year's servicing.  Sure, you may prefer the project car and the tinkering, but you can't argue it'll give you more time to drive.  The Mac you pay once;  you don't need to apply more money, though the PC's modular raison de etre is to provide opportunity to 'upgrade'.

Sorry but this is just not true. I build a new PC (MB CPU, Video card and Ram)every 5 years and it costs me about a 1/3rd  to1/2 what it would cost to buy a new MAC and I get to configure it my way. I have no issues, nor do I have to upgrade anything it all happens automatically. My current PC(MB, SSD and Video card) is coming up 5 years old and I have not had to upgrade anything apart from Windows which was free and pretty seamless.  I like games on big high res monitors so that's a good reason to stay away from Apple, But I wont buy their phones either as I see no point in paying more to get less. I agree Apple is easy but so to is Windows and Android these days. 

• Like 5

I don't like Windows 10 all that much but nothing hard or greatly unreliable about for a usability point 

I agree that buying Apple products is like buying a new BMW - overpriced, only want authorized dealership working on it, will try to sell you a new one if it fails\becomes obsolete outside the warranty period

Apple products do have advantages but they will always cost you more in the long term

About the only things good about apple is their products work very well together, they are easy to use, and they look good.

In every other respect android and pc are better.

Many people buy apple for the name brand.

If I'm ever marooned on a desert island, I'll just say out loud "you know, I think I prefer Mac to PC."

• Haha 1

iPhone 12 Pro Max on the way, typing this on a Macbook Pro ?

What can I say, I like handsome computers, car doors that thud when they close and soft touch interior plastics ?

• Haha 1

speaking of handsome computers... does anyone have a beige server case in their garage or something? would be awesome for a sleeper build. 

On 11/8/2020 at 9:05 AM, Eagle said:

I agree that buying Apple products is like buying a new BMW - overpriced, only want authorized dealership working on it, will try to sell you a new one if it fails\becomes obsolete outside the warranty period

Apple products do have advantages but they will always cost you more in the long term

Thats BS. My old Macbook Pro lasted 7 years without a service, so cost me nothing extra above its initial cost, and would have gone at least a few more years had i not spilled coffee on it. It still ran all the latest software, and had no issues. My replacement MBP should outlast the old one, since I'll be taking more care with my coffee now.

I have a windows 10 based gaming computer, but using it for anything other than gaming its gross. My Apple is just so much better for daily use.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, KwS said:

Thats BS. My old Macbook Pro lasted 7 years without a service, so cost me nothing extra above its initial cost, and would have gone at least a few more years had i not spilled coffee on it. It still ran all the latest software, and had no issues. My replacement MBP should outlast the old one, since I'll be taking more care with my coffee now.

I have a windows 10 based gaming computer, but using it for anything other than gaming its gross. My Apple is just so much better for daily use.

I agree - have a reasonably well specced 2014 15" MBP (2.8 Quad i7 / 512GB SSD)  and with a new battery I bought used a couple of years ago and it still feels fantastic, running latest OSX. 

Resale is always strong too.

36 minutes ago, KwS said:

It still ran all the latest software, and had no issues.

I'm still running a 32bit OS on my 2013 MBP because Blizzard won't update Diablo 2 to 64bit.

Edited by leichtbau
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, KwS said:

Coming from an environment where I had to support Macbooks and HP Elitebooks all day every day.  I would take the Elitebook every time if I was made to choose.  They both failed as often as each other but HP had an amazing hardware team.  Apple had nobody.  And their helpdesk is run by Concentrix who are next to useless.  Plus the HP was a far better looking device.

I have a 2008 Dell laptop that is still running well.  Even with Win 10 20H2.  It's primary job is talking to the Bimmers.  All I have done to it is buy a bigger battery and an SSD.

1 hour ago, KwS said:

Sounds like you think its bs purely on your anecdotal experience. It's a fact Apple will never win as far as costs are concerned, be like arguing a VW Golf is cheaper to keep than a Corolla. I could buy PC hardware from 15 years ago for chump change, have working up to date OS, and it would still be serviceable and upgradable, you going to tell me you can do the same with a 15 year old Mac. Likewise If i bought a top of range Mac and the equivalent PC today its a given that i will likely be able keep the PC in service longer(software and hardware). The Mac will always you cost more as you are re buying more frequently to stay up to date and paying for the brand when you do. That's not even taking into account Apple's repair policies\costs if you are unfortunate to have an issue outside or warranty.

I grew up with Commodore 64's, Amstrad's, and Mac SE's, f**ked around with Acorn's in primary school, survived the Pentium wars and finally made it to high school.

I run mac gear in 2020 because I spend a lot of time working with Quartz and Winetricks. Unix allows me to do so. The cool thing is that I can run a partitioned HD with Windows 10 in Boot Camp. But whatever, pcmasterrace etc etc.

So did i but i fail to see how that's anything to do costs which is what's being discussed. PC's have advantages and disadvantages just like Macs, no one here is denying that and you buy what suits your requirements in the end.

If anyone wants to label me pcmasterrace for critiquing the costs, that's fine. I'll burn some old ipods i have in my draw to as a sacrifice to the PC gods.

28 minutes ago, Eagle said:

So did i but i fail to see how that's anything to do costs which is what's being discussed. PC's have advantages and disadvantages just like Macs, no one here is denying that and you buy what suits your requirements in the end.

If anyone wants to label me pcmasterrace for critiquing the costs, that's fine. I'll burn some old ipods i have in my draw to as a sacrifice to the PC gods.

I wasn't quoting you when I posted above.

E: Why am i even arguing? Its like beating your face against a wall in this place.

Edited by KwS
  • Like 1

Very true.  Discussing PC parts.  Apple people show up to inform us we're wrong.  Nearly as bad as people with Air Fryers.

• Haha 3

I was going mention the thread title but thought otherwise. I don't want to see Mac vs PC discussions getting banned too :D

PBTech's Black Friday Sale starts soon, and I think it is going to be a ridiculous rush to save less than 10% on most parts.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, lord_jagganath said:

PBTech's Black Friday Sale starts soon, and I think it is going to be a ridiculous rush to save less than 10% on most parts.

Yup every year multiples of muppets line up for hours thinking they are going to save hundreds on the latest gear. Only to find the only good deal was the two refurbished monitors that were purchased by staff before the sale and the ton of no name brand usb sticks you will never use.

I'll stick to Amazon and Newegg. I haven't been asked to pay GST yet. 

Yeah never fully understood people queuing for this. All i could come up with was they either don't have or earn much money, plus their time isnt worth anything, so spending some hours in a queue is worth it for a change to get some small discounts.

How are you not paying GST with Amazon? Using a freight forwarder?

haven't tried Amazon or Newegg yet, but eBay is taking the import fees and GST left right centre. 

edit: Newegg is taking duty and GST too. 

image.png.5ed4253b631f56abef3eca55cc699f00.png

Edited by lord_jagganath

Freight forwarding for me. Via my old role in DC. But it stops early December so I need to be quick. And I can only get smaller items. Not monitors etc.

On 11/12/2020 at 6:22 PM, Eagle said:

How are you not paying GST with Amazon? Using a freight forwarder?

I use a freight forwarder, though they charge me GST.  

I still have a US address that matches my US credit card. Otherwise I would be in the same boat. This is only temp though. 

• Like 1

Decided to say screw it and picked up a 5800x (its what's in stock...), Asus ROG X570, 32GB of 3600 ram and a 1TB PCIe 4 NVMe...

Its a beast, even without screwing with the clocks (boost clocks stay pegged at max with 360mm AIO for ages), but now my 6 month old 2070 super is the bottleneck... and the circle of life continues. 

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 3