Sign in to follow this  
XSDUP

First BMW, 91 535i

Hello everyone, new here. I have recently purchased a well used 535i Manual in Silver. Seems to have been fully loaded when it was new. Electric seats, a/c, possibly sport steering wheel and gear knob. But i don't really know haha. If anyone can run the numbers im keen to know.

20201026_174332.jpg

20201026_174514.jpg

20201026_175457.jpg

20201026_192222.jpg

• Like 6

Should look quite tidy once that front bumper is repaired and painted. E34's hold up quite well.

Its a legit NZ 535iS spec so has all the usual options

e34.thumb.jpg.c9c81d346e5bc00dca21a72f6c03b8fb.jpg

That’s a survivor, even on the original plate! Looks like a fun project. 

thanks for the info Eagle, the previous owner mentioned it may be an 'is' but i wasn't sure. It's been towing race cars around the country for a number of years. 340kms on the clock, seems to run like a clock! Has new shocks and i can see some urethane bushes in the front end, im surprised how tight it feels. I have spent the last 2 weeks just cleaning it.. in and out door jams etc (basically was filthy) gave it a buff and polish. I have the fog lights, but the front bumper is going to need some surgery first! Have had mates with these in the past, and not sure if my other cars have clouded my memory but feels a little light on power but I haven't looked much into that yet. Working on getting it a WOF, have some rear pitman? arms on order, the rest seems fine.

by modern standards, they arent fast cars,they are only 155 kw and they are quite heavy..The 155kW is what BMW said.It was the end of the road for the M30 

Thanks!... I may have a sickness ?

20201011_173743.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Fantastic collection!

Edit: When does the 190e or W124 arrive on the drive?

Edited by leichtbau
  • Like 1

don't temp me! I did almost buy a 190e Cosworth in about 2003, but I thought it was a bit scruffy for the 4k asking price..

I have other photos of my other cars (past and present) on Instagram if anyone is really bored, @XSDUP 

1 hour ago, XSDUP said:

thanks for the info Eagle, the previous owner mentioned it may be an 'is' but i wasn't sure. It's been towing race cars around the country for a number of years. 340kms on the clock, seems to run like a clock! Has new shocks and i can see some urethane bushes in the front end, im surprised how tight it feels. I have spent the last 2 weeks just cleaning it.. in and out door jams etc (basically was filthy) gave it a buff and polish. I have the fog lights, but the front bumper is going to need some surgery first! Have had mates with these in the past, and not sure if my other cars have clouded my memory but feels a little light on power but I haven't looked much into that yet. Working on getting it a WOF, have some rear pitman? arms on order, the rest seems fine.

Depends what state of the engine is in. I usually end up going over the whole ignition and fuel system which usually helps - New plugs, filters, distrubutor, rotor, valve and afm track adjustment, clean injectors, sometimes a set a leads followed some high rpm runs. My old NZ 535is with 330,000 on the clock dyno'd 127kw atw on Torque performance dyno in Auckland.  While they don't have that low down pull compared to M\N5X stuff with variable manifold and valve timing tech, i still think they still perform well given how old the engine design is.     

Sounds like someone has spent some $ on the suspension which is always a good sign.

Yep, thats all on the to do list! Im sure the core engine health is good, starts easy idles smoothly. Almost feels like its holding some timing back for some reason, but it has been sitting around for a bit. I will go through all that you have listed and im sure it will get better with a kick in the butt. I'll have to look up afm track adjustment though, thats new to me.

Edited by XSDUP

1 hour ago, XSDUP said:

Thanks!... I may have a sickness ?

20201011_173743.jpg

Nice s4, is it a good example?

Thanks. Yeah i would say its a good clean car. Had it for a few years now, straight, clean, and used!

If you need an extra driver (for any of your cars), sing out Kevin - haha!... seriously, you've got some fantastic wheels; awesome stuff!

20 hours ago, Eagle said:

Should look quite tidy once that front bumper is repaired and painted. E34's hold up quite well.

Its a legit NZ 535iS spec so has all the usual options

e34.thumb.jpg.c9c81d346e5bc00dca21a72f6c03b8fb.jpg

petrol car with DPF ?

DPF=no cat convertor. Decoder must of translated wrong as option code is correct. 

Nice example and congrats Kevin!

Drove a 535is last year and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Edited by TermiPeteNZ

1 hour ago, leichtbau said:

the option codes remain the same, the meaning changes.

Code may well be the same but its not translating it properly to the specific vehicle. It shows correctly correctly on other vin decoders.

Thanks for the positive feed back chaps. I did think the DPF code was a bit strange, but figured it was to do with the cat delete. I didn't mention but the car also came with a factory boot spoiler that has been removed and left taped up holes on the boot lid. I think i will re fit it since it looks like it was factory fitted.. One other thing was the code 320 'model designation deletion'. Now it came with 535i badges, but they may be from another car. Does the 320 code mean the car would not have had the badge from factory or am i totally wrong with that assumption?!

afaik they all had model delete they only had an M badge front and back.I hope Martynn wont mind an old pic of his(mine)

1990 E34 535is 003.JPG

oh my, that's some good inspiration right there! M badges.. interesting. 

Nice another one.

Mines an IS.  But a UK import and now a race car.

Links to any pictures of yours?