Sign in to follow this  
gofaster

WTB: BMW 130i manual

Hi. Just putting feelers out for a 130i manual.

Looking for something similar to what Scott Harvey had (or still has) for sale recently. Tried contacting him, no reply so assume sold.

Dont mind the higher mileage if the maintenance has been done, been reading here about solenoids, water pump, coils and some gaskets.

I'm  not in the $10K plus price range.

Thanks, John

Pretty unlikely to get what you're after for less than 10k, unless you go for an  automatic. 

Even then you'll still want a grand or two to fix any issues or at the very minimum to buy a scan tool to go with the car. Which will save you time/money fixing issues. 

• Like 2

Thanks Inferno. I was kinda hoping Scott's one was still available as it fitted my budget although offset with higher KMs. Will keep looking...

Yep, saw that and the $12k one with some work done.

End of day they will likely owe me $12k, so out of budget.

May have to bide my time or look for something else.

thanks for your comments,

John

Have any of you guys in Auckland viewed the 130i that has been on Trademe for a while now?

Or know the previous owner.

Be good to hear any feedback, I am based in ChCh so only option next would be an AA inspection

Thanks, John

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/2724085311

Edited by gofaster

I have no knowledge of that car or its provenance sorry but for less than 10k it's probably worth a look.

I don't think an AA inspection is worth the paper it's provided on, I'm not even sure if they hook it up to a scanner these days. If I couldn't find a trustworthy independent nearby in Onehunga I'd probably consider getting it checked out by Auckland City BMW but I think you're in for $130 IIRC. Somebody else may have a better suggestion though.

I can tell you at first glance that the rear wiper either doesn't work, or is about to fail (common problem).

I'm not too far away and if the moons aligned could probably eyeball it for you any even plug it in if they let me take it for a proper drive but I certainly don't offer any warranties! A lot would depend on how my schedule played out over the next little while.

Maybe if nobody else around here knows the car or has any suggestions send me a PM and we can go from there. No promises. 

Dont know it either, interesting spec though. Msport with walnut etc. Im going through onehunga Monday, If I get 5m ill go take a looksee.

Thank you M3AN and Jacko.

Appreciate any looksee or observations.

Will PM you

The panel gaps around the front bumper look on the piss, so be worth checking for damage in the front.

• Like 1

Tow hook cover at the front missing too, looks like might be BMWP exhaust tips. 

55 minutes ago, KwS said:

The panel gaps around the front bumper look on the piss, so be worth checking for damage in the front.

To be fair, most 1 series have awful shut lines around the headlight and bonnet area!

1 hour ago, leichtbau said:

To be fair, most 1 series have awful shut lines around the headlight and bonnet area!

Im thinking more the guard/bumper gap, which on most 1 series is big, but you could almost fit a foot in the gap on this one. 

1375331029.jpg

Painful getting pics up here off phone @gofaster but heres a run down on it and pic dump (have more and a couple of vids (tick before and after) if you want anything specific)

Its a straight car, no obvious accident damage or evidence of a respray. The front bumper and the gaps are due to the previous owner trying to rip the bumper off on kerbs... 

Paint looks like its been washed with a steelo, but its not deep. Few minor stone chips but nothing bad, its just every panel is dull with scratches. With a solid cut and polish it'd come up shiney.

Lots of evidence of UV damage - headlights, rubbers, rear badge etc... but nothing end of world or not fixable. Bonnet release cable feels stretched, really got to yank on it. 

Interior is OK condition, bit battered, it needs a massive clean and tidy up but it'd tidy up OK. Headlining is falling down at the back. Looks different (and is pretty rare) in this spec.

Front end feels very loose (it might just be stock vs mine though as  it was back to back test), I suspect a flogged bush or two, and there are tell tale signs of dicky alignment. Tyres are bridgestone RFTs, the same ones all the jap imports have and all look old (probably came from japan with em). Front right wouldnt pass a warrant due to inner camber wear

Brakes look old, but work fine and feel good, lots of rotor life left. Steering reservoir is leaking bad. Shocks look original, but all the suspension parts look clean and still have BMW p/n stickers on em.

Battery was dead flat when went to start. Engine had the worst lifter tick I've ever ever heard which was a little concerning, however it went away after an italian tune up which is good. I suspect its been sitting for a long time.

Engine has all the classic oil leaks, other than the sump (or if it is leaking the sump is minor), rocker cover gasket is toast and so is the oil filter/cooler ones. They have been toast for awhile and its made a mess (and smells oily after above tune up)

Has green coolant in it (horror!), and it was a smidge low. Clutch feels good, if a little light (might just be my memory as mine is a SMF etc), DMF and release bearing are silent, and engine feels strong. Shift action is pretty good, no obviously flogged bushes. Engine sound deadening is dead...

Engine pulls well and sounds good though. 

Exhaust sounds nice, not to sure whats done to it, tips arent factory but muffler looks factory. 

With some love it'd be a nice car, but it'll take some love and coin to get it there. I suspect it was mint in 2014 when it came out of Japan and has been a bit neglected in NZ by the previous owner (its a trade in). It might be worth trying botany BM workshop to see if they have any service history. 

If it was my project -

• Waterblast the f**k out of it, lots of pollen and dirt (and spiders) everywhere.
  • Full cut and polish and birthday with new bits (like BMW badge at the back, its sad!) 
  • Clean up interior and stick roof lining back up
  • New tyres
  • New front end bushes, shocks and an alignment
  • Every single oil gasket on the engine. New belt/idler/tensioner as they will all be poked due to the oil leak(s) (and the belts like to be ingested by the crank when they go!)
  • New waterpump and thermostat, full coolant flush.
  • Probably new starter (its at the K's where starters fail) and a new battery
  • Sort the O ring on power steering reservoir

No warranties given, your mileage may vary, wash rinse and repeat if necessary ;)

IMG_20201123_113717.jpg

IMG_20201123_113729.jpg

IMG_20201123_113742.jpg

IMG_20201123_113748.jpg

IMG_20201123_113925.jpg

IMG_20201123_113927.jpg

IMG_20201123_113944.jpg

IMG_20201123_113956.jpg

IMG_20201123_113959.jpg

IMG_20201123_114052.jpg

IMG_20201123_114101.jpg

IMG_20201123_114115.jpg

IMG_20201123_114124.jpg

IMG_20201123_114435.jpg

IMG_20201123_114454.jpg

IMG_20201123_114501.jpg

IMG_20201123_114516.jpg

IMG_20201123_114522.jpg

IMG_20201123_114530.jpg

IMG_20201123_114708.jpg

IMG_20201123_114728.jpg

IMG_20201123_114750.jpg

IMG_20201123_115048.jpg

IMG_20201123_115411.jpg

IMG_20201123_115454.jpg

IMG_20201123_115530.jpg

IMG_20201123_120730.jpg

IMG_20201123_120736.jpg

IMG_20201123_120757.jpg

IMG_20201123_120803.jpg

IMG_20201123_120934.jpg

IMG_20201123_120938.jpg

IMG_20201123_121144.jpg

IMG_20201123_121148.jpg

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Big shout out to Jacko for taking time out to look at the 130i and provide such thorough feedback.

Managed to negotiate a price and have secured the car

Have a list of jobs to do over Xmas, will no doubt be asking some "how to" questions on the Forum

Cheers, John

• Like 5

It'll be a good start to a project car, it appears to be straight and honest just needs some love.  Elbow grease, a DA,  and swinging of a spanner will solve a lot of it pretty simply. With things like the tyres/shocks they just become good excuses to upgrade!

Reality is half the 130s out there selling for over 10k will have the same faults, just owners that are none the wiser. Should do an experiment, run around all the 130s in dealers yards and look for oil leaks and green coolant. $50 its more than half of em :D 

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 3

30 seconds with a 13mm socket.

Anyone have record of what the P/N is thats stamped on the BMWP muffler? It might be a BMWP unit, sounds tougher than mine and Y pipe on it looks factory. 

3 minutes ago, Jacko said:

30 seconds with a 13mm socket.

Anyone have record of what the P/N is thats stamped on the BMWP muffler? It might be a BMWP unit, sounds tougher than mine and Y pipe on it looks factory. 

18 10 0 443 576, 18 10 0 208 802 was the supersession.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jacko said:

Reality is half the 130s out there selling for over 10k will have the same faults, just owners that are none the wiser. Should do an experiment, run around all the 130s in dealers yards and look for oil leaks and green coolant. $50 its more than half of em :D 

Good community work Chris, thank you.

And I agree 100% with the above, that was exactly my purchasing experience. All 10-14 year old cars require about the same investment unless they are unicorns.