Sign in to follow this  
Gabriel Gomez

insurance question

Hi All, I'm not originally from New Zealand, I want to know if a Comprehensive Car Insurance covers, for example, if I swerve my car to avoid a sheep and I ending crashing with a tree. I read the complete policy but I'm not sure if I get covered if I have an accident not involving another car

Cheers!

Welcome Gabriel. 

You may covered, depending on your insurance company. I can only speak from experience, and AA Insurance and AMI covered me for these occasions where loss of control had occurred. 

Edited by lord_jagganath
further explained.

27 minutes ago, lord_jagganath said:

Welcome Gabriel. 

You may covered, depending on your insurance company. I can only speak from experience, and AA Insurance and AMI covered me for these occasions where loss of control had occurred. 

Thanks Jeevan, I will use AA Insurance, so I feel a little more safe knowing that if something occurs probably I'll get covered. 
Thanks again.

$50 prezzy card promotion at the moment if you sign up with AA insurance

Yes you are covered for accidents. As long as you weren't massively negligent - driving drunk, unroadworthy car, breaking laws ect. 

Swerving to avoid a sheep... lol picturing that did make me chuckle. 

20 minutes ago, 3pedals said:

A  fundamental point about driving is totally missing from this dialogue ; 

DON'T swerve to miss the sheep -

Brake in a straight line and if you hit it its bad luck for the sheep but you will have put yourself and other road users at far less risk. 
Swerving is a dangerous and irrational manoeuvre  that should be avoided at all cost.

It should only be undertaken when the most likely outcome of not doing it is your imminent death  and even then you should only do it if you are  absolutely certain that no one else will have avoid your dangrerous actions - if you can't then sorry suck it up and don't do it. 

Really nice point , it was just a bad example, I wanted to make sure if I would get covered if it was an accident without another car involved. I just picked a bad example.Thanks for the reply.

On 10/30/2020 at 3:55 AM, 3pedals said:

You will be covered in all but two circumstances :

1) you do something illegal - e,g intoxicated, drugged, speed, drive on the wrong side of the road ( not overtaking) fail to comply with instructions from an enforcement officer etc., 

2) you are in breach of a policy condition e.g  if the policy says no under 25 drivers and you are under 25 then thats a breach , the vehicle is not in a warrantable condition and a couple of others. 

Comprehensive insurance not only protects your from other road users  in all situations, it also protects you from your own 'accidental' activity  (provided it doesn't breach 1 or 2 above) 

Perfectly clear now, thanks a lot.

On 10/30/2020 at 12:43 AM, Matth5 said:

Yes you are covered for accidents. As long as you weren't massively negligent - driving drunk, unroadworthy car, breaking laws ect. 

Swerving to avoid a sheep... lol picturing that did make me chuckle. 

expectation: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ75IOekC5s&ab_channel=FIAWorldRallyChampionship
reality:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkHpVjbldNs&ab_channel=InsideEdition