Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Suspension tools

The evergreen topic of "should I buy tools to compress suspension springs" has reared its head again.

Every time I look, it seems there's another 'solution'.

Anyone seen these before? I've never seen a suspension spring tool which actually shows use of power tools before!

https://www.lislecorp.com/specialty-tools/strut-tool

Picture1  Picture2

Edited by gjm

I bought the repco ones and thought they were better than the supercheap ones at around the same price

• Thanks 1

Arh, spring compressors.  I tried them once.  Now I take the struts to Goodyear, they have a hydraulic tool in a cage that does both struts in less than 15 minutes.  Costs me $50 and I get to keep my fingers and face just the way I like them.

image.png.b778a121da6ece6d732b414ab4bf5511.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 3pedals said:

both of the images above scare me , neither is safe and  well engineered 

This one is - note the locking pins and NEVER use an impact driver to wind them - always do it manually and - P.S i think you should change your handle to 'Dangermouse' 

?

I'd never use a power tool with stuff like this. It's worrying that a manufacturer/supplier appears to suggest it!

The second one looks like a 'discount' version of a proper solution. While it might be possible to do something sensible along those lines, that one looks perfect for anyone with a discount life. :( 

Somewhere in the container I have a set similar to this:

image.png.f1b8c0a5372ad25a0884b18ea1866e38.png

Finding it is proving more difficult at the moment!

And Dangermouse was awesome! ?

Edited by gjm

3 hours ago, 3pedals said:

both of the images above scare me , neither is safe and  well engineered 

This one is - note the locking pins and NEVER use an impact driver to wind them - always do it manually and - P.S i think you should change your handle to 'Dangermouse' 

coil spring compressors | Nissan Frontier Forum

Yeah, I have this style - seem to do the job well enough and the pins give some security.

Still make sure to point them away and take my time compressing / uncompressing.

Lucky only the fronts are mcpherson struts and don't seem to be under a huge amount of pressure.

I've got a few different types but depends on the car. I use the traditional 2 twin hook ones the most as they offer best clearance around strut hats.

The set in the second post are for a specific style of suspension; double wishbone, where the compressor is inserted in the middle of the spring to compress it.

I have the set like 3Pedals shows, with the locking pin. Have done a few struts with them now, including using an impact gun on them, with no issues. Just make sure to keep the thread well lubricated and dont go full monkey on it.