Sign in to follow this  
Kashish

640i upgrade

Hi, 

this is my first time here and i’m buying 640i 2013 grancoupe, wanna to know what stuff do i need for it to get 500hp and is mhd or jb4 is better and apart from this can i use custom tune and mhd or jb4 at same time and how much the hp will be? Is worth it having both? Jb4 or mhd for more burbles. I live in New Zealand and i don’t where to buy stuff this car( diffuser, side skirts ,spoiler and front lip).

thanks

Edited by Kashish

Welcome!

Why 500hp?  Is it for the bragging rights, or are you addressing a usability issue?  You're currently rocking what, 315hp, and a nicely-balanced turbo six in a very elegant chassis?  You may need some bigger brakes and brake cooling, possibly suspension mods to help keep it in a straight line when you acheive an additional 185hp.  

Have you considered an M5 or M6 instead?  Even starting with a 650i Gran Coupe you're starting at 442hp, much closer to your goal of 500hp, and probably spend less than the engineering to increase your 640i's output by ~66%.  You'll probably need certing for the 640i as well.

Hope that helps 

• Thanks 1

Hi Kashish 

Nice looking the F06 chassis, bit too big for my liking though. 
I'm not super fimilar with the n55 engine however do know quite a bit about the n54 engine which is similar but do have a few differences. 

Personally I would use MHD just because of how easy it is to use! I have it with my 335i and its been great. They both give options for custom tunnning which is what you want if going for 500hp. 500hp for the n55 engine is nothing uncommon, just need to have the right supporting mods.

There are lots of options for the N55 engine. I don''t think you will get to 500hp on pump gas and stock turbo but you should get close with custom tunning and full bolt on mods 

Full bolt on mods include

1. large front mount intercooler
  2. Alloy Charge pipe
  3. Catless downpipe

Also i'd recomend 

• High flow air filter
  • 1 step cooler spark plugs

It also depends how big your budget is as you can get a larger turbo and get to 500hp with ease. (might need a larger fuel pump with a bigger turbo)

Certification is needed when you use any ECU tuning or piggyback regardless! Which I think a lot of people don't realise.  So MHD or JB4 will require certification.  (I don't think many people acutally do it though)

• Thanks 1

as was mentioned 500hp is an arbitrary number, what you are better looking at is what mods do you need to support a nice power increase while not shortening the life of your engine. MHD would be mu choice and if you went IC, Cat-less DP, Charge pipe, airbox/filter and an MHD stage 2+ tune you will get to around 420hp. If you want 500 then its a new turbo and exhaust and perhaps a modded inlet system. That said the N55 is not as strong internally as the N54 so you may be approaching the limits of reliable HP. You will also need an LSD as even with stock HP grip is an issues and with a tune and bolt on's the massive increase in torque makes getting two tires hooking up difficult. 

Where the n55 seems to work best is with mild to medium increases in power.

• Thanks 1

well, he's got everyone answering and hasn't contributed anything to the thread apart from a question...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NZ BMW said:

Buy a M6. 

On 11/8/2020 at 2:22 PM, Olaf said:

Welcome!

Why 500hp?  Is it for the bragging rights, or are you addressing a usability issue?  You're currently rocking what, 315hp, and a nicely-balanced turbo six in a very elegant chassis?  You may need some bigger brakes and brake cooling, possibly suspension mods to help keep it in a straight line when you acheive an additional 185hp.  

Have you considered an M5 or M6 instead?  Even starting with a 650i Gran Coupe you're starting at 442hp, much closer to your goal of 500hp, and probably spend less than the engineering to increase your 640i's output by ~66%.  You'll probably need certing for the 640i as well.

Hope that helps 

Thank you for your help, i’m looking for long term atleast (5-6years) and my price range $50,000nzd, m5 and 650i out of my range and if there are some has more kms and under 2013 models and only car i can  go for 640i,550i,535i or something in 7series and there is not much of these are on sale here and I’m confused bc here i rather can go buy new one under my terms but it will be for very long term then or i can just buy a car under $50000 and bc i have looked bmw m5 2016 or Mercedes-Amg e53 or e43.

that's interesting, though I'm still not clear on why you must have 500hp?  If 650i is out of your pricerange, have you priced the true cost of modifying and engineering (certing) a 640i to 500hp?

Edited by Olaf

21 hours ago, Ninjaspartan said:

Hi Kashish 

Nice looking the F06 chassis, bit too big for my liking though. 
I'm not super fimilar with the n55 engine however do know quite a bit about the n54 engine which is similar but do have a few differences. 

Personally I would use MHD just because of how easy it is to use! I have it with my 335i and its been great. They both give options for custom tunnning which is what you want if going for 500hp. 500hp for the n55 engine is nothing uncommon, just need to have the right supporting mods.

There are lots of options for the N55 engine. I don''t think you will get to 500hp on pump gas and stock turbo but you should get close with custom tunning and full bolt on mods 

Full bolt on mods include

1. large front mount intercooler
  2. Alloy Charge pipe
  3. Catless downpipe

Also i'd recomend 

• High flow air filter
  • 1 step cooler spark plugs

It also depends how big your budget is as you can get a larger turbo and get to 500hp with ease. (might need a larger fuel pump with a bigger turbo)

Certification is needed when you use any ECU tuning or piggyback regardless! Which I think a lot of people don't realise.  So MHD or JB4 will require certification.  (I don't think many people acutally do it though)

Thank you that’s really helpfull?

14 minutes ago, Olaf said:

that's interesting, though I'm still not clear on why you must have 500hp?  If 650i is out of your pricerange, have you priced the true cost of modifying and engineering (certing) a 640i to 500hp?

Yeah if can’t get 650i under my budget then I’m definitely buying 640igc and not 500hp if can get more hp with i would love and as far as ik big boost tubro stage 3 kit and is that reliable or some other company.

Drive a few first and check how they feel. I have added roughly 100hp to my 335i and Its quick, but HP is addictive and you may want more, but you may be happy with what you get stock.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There will be a point where adding HP is pointless. Can the rest of the car handle 500+hp, and where are you even going to use that much power, a beached whale is hardly a track focused car.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Herbmiester said:

Drive a few first and check how they feel. I have added roughly 100hp to my 335i and Its quick, but HP is addictive and you may want more, but you may be happy with what you get stock.

True i haven’t got the car yet but once i have, i’ll drive for then i wanna customize it.

thank you ? 

14 hours ago, Kashish said:

Yeah if can’t get 650i under my budget then I’m definitely buying 640igc and not 500hp if can get more hp with i would love and as far as ik big boost tubro stage 3 kit and is that reliable or some other company.

How are you going to use this car? Have you put any thought towards handling/suspension and brakes? Is just for drag racing and occasionally showing off on the street? Sounds like you're just wildly looking up ideas without knowing what you're getting in to. 
Plus consider you'll need a tuner, someone to install this, maintenance because this kind of power will not be kind to an engine where anything is less than perfect or worn. You'll be spending 650i/M6 money to do that right, so if that's your goal don't mess around and get the right car in the first place otherwise you'll regret it later. 

Think you need to take a step back and consider if you're getting in over your head here. Some simple bolt-ones like an intercooler, downpipe, MHD stage 1+ or 2 tune, will give you a nice reasonable tune without too much additional headache. 350hp or so, enough to light up the tyres and have fun without too much crazy work. 

You enter a whole new world of complication and expense once you start looking at big turbo upgrades. 

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Matth5 said:

How are you going to use this car? Have you put any thought towards handling/suspension and brakes? Is just for drag racing and occasionally showing off on the street? Sounds like you're just wildly looking up ideas without knowing what you're getting in to. 
Plus consider you'll need a tuner, someone to install this, maintenance because this kind of power will not be kind to an engine where anything is less than perfect or worn. You'll be spending 650i/M6 money to do that right, so if that's your goal don't mess around and get the right car in the first place otherwise you'll regret it later. 

Think you need to take a step back and consider if you're getting in over your head here. Some simple bolt-ones like an intercooler, downpipe, MHD stage 1+ or 2 tune, will give you a nice reasonable tune without too much additional headache. 350hp or so, enough to light up the tyres and have fun without too much crazy work. 

You enter a whole new world of complication and expense once you start looking at big turbo upgrades. 

Kashish this is very good advice from a guy who pushed his N55 pretty hard and broke it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1