Sign in to follow this  
Jesse

Manual Z4 prices

Hi guys, I've been in the market for a manual Z4 (E85) (3.0L) for about a year now. For some reason there are hardly any manual ones for sale and until recently I haven't been able to find any. Yesterday, I finally located one; it's a 2003 3L manual with 88000km priced at 13,900$ which is definitely the upper end of what I wanted to spend. 

So my main question is, does anyone know what a manual should be worth? Because there are so few for sale I have no case studies to get context from, so I don't know if no one wants manuals and I'll take a hit when I sell it in 1-3 years or if everyone does and I'm onto a bargain. 

Cheers. 

Im no Z4 expert, but would it not be worth waiting for an N52 manual, Im assuming they are much more energetic to drive and will hold their value more?

• Like 1

*real N52 ;) 195kw

• Like 3

Get a 3.0si N52. The facelift adds nicer tail lights (IMO) and marginally more screwed together interior. They’re brilliant fun.

Thanks guys, I would like the 3.0si it does look slightly better and has a little more power, but again it's very difficult to find a manual; maybe I'm not looking hard enough but in the last year this is pretty much the only manual Z4 I've seen (that's not a Z4M worth like 50k). Also I assume there would be a slight premium $$$ for the si, and I'm kind of at the limit of what I want to spend. 

I find it a bit frustrating that new car buyers in this country don't tick the manual box when there buying a sporty car. Although now I think about it saying that might start a comments war ?

5 hours ago, Jesse said:

Hi guys, I've been in the market for a manual Z4 (E85) (3.0L) for about a year now. For some reason there are hardly any manual ones for sale and until recently I haven't been able to find any. Yesterday, I finally located one; it's a 2003 3L manual with 88000km priced at 13,900$ which is definitely the upper end of what I wanted to spend. 

So my main question is, does anyone know what a manual should be worth? Because there are so few for sale I have no case studies to get context from, so I don't know if no one wants manuals and I'll take a hit when I sell it in 1-3 years or if everyone does and I'm onto a bargain. 

Cheers. 

Hi, feel your painful search. I looked for one for a long time. Bought a low mileage M54  2 owner manual a couple of years ago. The N52 engine is lighter and a bit more powerful but on the road (IMO) not worth waiting for in the hope one turns up. The M54 engine is fairly bulletproof.The n52 does have certain issues such as water pump, oil leaks for example. The M54 also has things to watch out for such as the disa valve and both can have vamps issues.

My car is on around 80,000 k’s and (touch wood) going great. I did give it a fairly good service when I bought it. 

Havn’t come across the one you have found but subject to history, nz new and overal condition then that is a good price imo. Oh, need to make sure the electric hood works, there are drain plugs that need to be kept clear in front of the rear wheels otherwise the hood motor gets waterlogged.

Z4-forum.com is a good site and happy to share my experience of the car.

Cheers, Peter

F8A6F706-F7BB-4050-9EA7-C38C3F0116DB.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks guys, this is really helpful. 

One more question: nz new, is that really important, and if so why? 

My current bmw is nz new, my one before that wasn't. I never realized it was a big deal. 

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

My current bmw is nz new, my one before that wasn't. I never realized it was a big deal. 

My view is that there is more chance of a service history if NZ new and you know the climate that the car has lived in. Also spec can vary between country to country. Uk cars are often better spec’d. My car is a UK import brought in by the original owner, seldom used in wet and always garaged. I have the original purchase docs and service book/ information / wof sheets that gives a good history  of the car.

At the end of the day buy on condition, if no service history then prepare to spend some money for peace of mind.

3 hours ago, Jesse said:

Just looked at the address on Driven. Car looks good , personally, I would follow this one up. These cars are so rare.Snooze you lose

1 hour ago, Haggisman said:

Just looked at the address on Driven. Car looks good , personally, I would follow this one up. These cars are so rare.Snooze you lose

Haha, you found it then lol. I didn't post the link incase someone else brought it :D

Yeah I think I will look into it, it's a 3 1/2 hour drive away from me so hopefully I get time to get down there before it's gone.

thanks for all the comments everyone I really appreciate it, I think you've managed to talk me into it which is exactly what I wanted. 

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

Haha, you found it then lol. I didn't post the link incase someone else brought it :D

Yeah I think I will look into it, it's a 3 1/2 hour drive away from me so hopefully I get time to get down there before it's gone.

thanks for all the comments everyone I really appreciate it, I think you've managed to talk me into it which is exactly what I wanted. 

You might be surprised how well they drive. Good luck

11 minutes ago, Jesse said:

As @Haggisman said:  you snooze, you lose.  Make it so!