Sign in to follow this  
SmackJackTheCrackerMan

Amp taking a swim???

So over the last week a have been hearing some odd noises coming out of the speakers, kind of like a crackle, pop, poof noises ?

Anyway, yesterday all of the speakers on the driver side of the car suddenly stopped working (except the rhs sub), but the passenger side worked totally fine, nice and clear as you would expect. 

Today I thought I would check the head unit to make sure there wasn’t a loose connection but everything was fine. 

Tried locating the amp to check in the passenger side of the boot and well, I found the problem.....

A sh*t tone of water just chillin around the amp.

So my question is.... can I seal up the vent flaps without causing any issues? Assuming that is how the water has gotten in! 

72CEB82F-905F-4A54-BC26-C6E1B674897C.jpeg

at a guess, check sunroof drains, tail light gaskets, boot and window seals... then test to see if its your side vents.  I'd not be sealing them, they're engineered that way for a reason...  could be door vapour barriers if car facing uphill in rain.... plenty of possibilities

3 minutes ago, Olaf said:

at a guess, check sunroof drains, tail light gaskets, boot and window seals... then test to see if its your side vents.  I'd not be sealing them, they're engineered that way for a reason...  could be door vapour barriers if car facing uphill in rain.... plenty of possibilities

I dried everything off, checked everything was working okay then put it all back together.  I've just been for a drive, everything was fine then the speakers went again. Took it all back apart and theres water in there again and it's not even raining.

all the seals look in good condition, I'm assuming the drain hole for the sunroof are the two rubbers near the top with a hole in them? Any tips for de blocking?

2 hours ago, SmackJackTheCrackerMan said:

I dried everything off, checked everything was working okay then put it all back together.  I've just been for a drive, everything was fine then the speakers went again. Took it all back apart and theres water in there again and it's not even raining.

all the seals look in good condition, I'm assuming the drain hole for the sunroof are the two rubbers near the top with a hole in them? Any tips for de blocking?

fishing line....be careful

3 hours ago, SmackJackTheCrackerMan said:

weed-whacker line.  gently does it.

Or:  take it to Auto 38 in Newtown.