Sign in to follow this  
Jazzmuso

New member Hi 92' 525i Touring

Hi all my name's Nathan and recently I acquired my first BMW Touring, a 1992 525i.  I bought this car after my very nice Mercedes W124 Estate was written off in an accident and I couldn't find a good W124 wagon anywhere. I'd always liked the E34 Touring so I took the plunge and went over to 'the dark side' as the Merc crowd would say! It's in great condition (engine bay is fantastic with a lot of work done) and I just got her back from some panel and paint this week which looks great. Underside is also great with no rust, and the interior is near mint.

I need some advice on the SLS as I'm told one of the shocks has gone, but the other is good. I'll get some advice from another area on the forum as I'm sure you'll all have some remedies and plans of action - it rides very hard in the rear at the moment!

Thanks in advance, Nathan

https://ibb.co/ccFcngP

https://ibb.co/mh8xJ0c

https://ibb.co/vLTbGKy

Sorry for links I'll try and work out how to upload pics.

Edited by Jazzmuso
  • Like 2

Welcome aboard Nathan! That Touring looks straight as a die, the paint work is fantastic. Plenty of us here with both Merc's and BMW's, can't have a nineties BMW without at least a 190e or W124 as well. There's a few people here with specific E34 knowledge, I'm sure they'll chime in if you've got any questions - being a '92 I'm guessing it's the twin cam non vanos M50 engine?

OT: Your father has gigged with my uncle many times over the years, small world.

Struts rarely fail internally as they are just a hydraulic ram but the mounts and more so the seals can perishes causing noises and leaking.

The 2x Pressure accumulators - round cylinders above or round the struts are what controls the dampening, the internal diaphragm have typically failed on these old cars causing the harsh ride. Last time i looked they were about $350ea if still available in NZ and you can't import them as they are dangerous goods (pressurized chamber)

So you either have to buy new parts, delete or loop the hydraulic pump and replace it with non SLS strut\spring setup 

Wow that is a good looking Touring! I saw this car or its clone on instagram the other day, someone must have got a sneaky shot of it.

14 hours ago, leichtbau said:

Welcome aboard Nathan! That Touring looks straight as a die, the paint work is fantastic. Plenty of us here with both Merc's and BMW's, can't have a nineties BMW without at least a 190e or W124 as well. There's a few people here with specific E34 knowledge, I'm sure they'll chime in if you've got any questions - being a '92 I'm guessing it's the twin cam non vanos M50 engine?

OT: Your father has gigged with my uncle many times over the years, small world.

Hey Kevin thanks for the comments. I just gigged with my Dad a few weeks back. Yep it's the M50 engine and the car is super straight. 

That's a good looking car, well done. And welcome! ?