Sign in to follow this  
elias

E91 325i

Ok so ive found a workshop thatll do the repairs for $800. So car will cost me $8800 all up, and then be in perfect condition mechanically. Its a pretty nice car imo. Is it worth it?

Not really :D , the damage has been done. Unless they are changing out the waterpump etc. 325 wagons are relatively common, Id hold out for the right one. Near 9k for a 325, even with low km (which doesn't actually mean much) is at the high end of what they are worth, Id be wanting an immaculate example that has been looked after at that price.

Again, there are better cars in better condition out there. 

hmmm ok, its a decent spec though, msport, towbar, roofracks. Cant find anything else thats particularly interesting at that price and looks as good, the nice audis are all 11-14k. Any recommendations? Looking for a nice european station wagon that looks good, has got some power and is fun to drive.

It might be worth low balling them with the car, the scrapes and dents and coolant etc etc with an offer of like 7k (which is about more inline with what its actually worth)

If they dont take it, walk away, if they do it'd be a decent car (with the knowledge that the waterpump will likely be due soon)

By the way, Id concerned with a workshop that says they will do a rocker cover gasket, leaking washer tank etc for $800. Parts are relatively cheap (probably $500-600ish), but its a few hours work (and all DIYable if you can swing a spanner and read a manual). Somewhere they are cutting corners...

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 1

right ok, thing is he originally wanted $9500 for it then i got the prepurchase inspection and "low-balled" him with $7500, he then said $8000 is the lowest hell go.

they're only charging 220$ in labour but the $800 is excluding the leaking washer bottle, its for the rocker cover gasket, transmission serivce and coolant. The other shop wanted $700 for the transmission service alone.

"$8k is as low as you'll go?  Well, good for you.  It won't be with my money.  My offer is now $7k, it's realistic and takes into account the damage and repair work.  If you come back to me tomorrow, it's $6500.  Over to you."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ive seen some mint E46 325i wagons come up and sell for around 7k not long ago. 

19 hours ago, balancerider said:

Must confess I am tempted @SmithyInWelly

Do it.

I dunno what it's like now but it was a great wee thing to punt (in the context of what it is)... at least worth checking it. For around $3;5-$4k... $500 in parts and a few hours effort it could be well worthwhile (or, it's not been well maintained over the last coupla years and you'd have to throw more $$$ at it).

Go and look at it - see what it drives like; then at least you know which outcome is more likely and go from there (either to negotiate, or to run far away lol).

Yes it is tempting, though the last thing I need right now is a risk-filled BMW of unknowns.  I have a few with their known, I think that’s enough for me.

it is a potential good buy, assuming it’s had a reasonable level of maintenance.  More likely it’ll need $1-2k of parts, to address deferred maintenance.

On 11/16/2020 at 6:55 PM, Jacko said:

Not really :D , the damage has been done. Unless they are changing out the waterpump etc. 325 wagons are relatively common, Id hold out for the right one. Near 9k for a 325, even with low km (which doesn't actually mean much) is at the high end of what they are worth, Id be wanting an immaculate example that has been looked after at that price.

Again, there are better cars in better condition out there. 

Ive kept an eye on trademe for similar wagons. Im not sure where youve seenany decent cheaper 325i m sport tourings. The other ones are all over $10k with similar miles/spec. Eg:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/325i/listing/2866137828?bof=eLcLhEV7

and thats the auction start price reserve not met.

So im not sure ill find one any cheaper, plus with the silver 80,000km one i know what im getting because of the thorough prepurchase inspection by bavarian motors.

On 11/17/2020 at 12:41 PM, SmithyInWelly said:

Do it.

I dunno what it's like now but it was a great wee thing to punt (in the context of what it is)... at least worth checking it. For around $3;5-$4k... $500 in parts and a few hours effort it could be well worthwhile (or, it's not been well maintained over the last coupla years and you'd have to throw more $$$ at it).

Go and look at it - see what it drives like; then at least you know which outcome is more likely and go from there (either to negotiate, or to run far away lol).

@SmithyInWelly Back again at $1 reserve

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/2983614124?bof=waiSNWFg

• Like 2

Best buy it back.. might be a steal

• Like 1

I would if I could... chuck some decent wheels back on it and away you go!

Unfortunately life stuff means I can't, and every time I drive my $1700 Camry a little piece of me dies. The reality is the $1700 Camry gets me to work and back - and my little Duke is getting me going on 2 wheels again (for fun) so there's no room for an e91.

But sh*t, if someone did want a reliable (boring) V6 Camry... nah - who am I kidding 😔