Sign in to follow this  
DECS E39 M5

E39 M5 Emissions NZ

Hi Everyone, 

First time on here and I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I'm moving back home in December from UK and planning on shipping my  beloved 1999 E39 M5. I've spoken to VINZ already regarding emission entry criteria. I'm exept as I've owned the car for 5yrs in UK so can bring it in as a returning residence car and pay the $184 exception fee. 

What I'm trying to find out is if any fellow E39 m5 owners currently in NZ have any issues getting a W.O.F with their emmision output.

Been dreaming of taking care from London to NZ roads since the day I got her so would really appreciate and advice.

Cheers,

Dec

Emissions are not tested for WOF.  The car is checked for "visible smoke" but it has to be pretty bad to fail that test.

what about rust ? they will pick on that 

• Haha 1

On 11/10/2020 at 11:38 AM, turbolizard said:

Emissions are not tested for WOF.  The car is checked for "visible smoke" but it has to be pretty bad to fail that test.

Perfect!. Mine should be fine as its well kept plus I'm currently getting timing chain, rod bearings and full vanos rebuild. 

Cheers mate

On 11/10/2020 at 6:01 PM, BM WORLD said:

what about rust ? they will pick on that 

just had a full re spray with all rust work done. Had the jacking points done too

12 minutes ago, DECS E39 M5 said:

just had a full re spray with all rust work done. Had the jacking points done too

yea just be carefull as they dont like corrison and if they see any repair work  etc painted over they might ask to get it all stripped back etc 

i saw a e39 m5 brought in recently and it was pretty ugly underneath and  i think the guy is regretting bringing it in 

as the cost of the car plus all the headaches etc  then also when going to resell here nz buyers prefer nz new or jap cars as less rust etc 

maybe get it up on hoist remove all the covers take pics etc send to me 

25 minutes ago, BM WORLD said:

yea just be carefull as they dont like corrison and if they see any repair work  etc painted over they might ask to get it all stripped back etc 

i saw a e39 m5 brought in recently and it was pretty ugly underneath and  i think the guy is regretting bringing it in 

as the cost of the car plus all the headaches etc  then also when going to resell here nz buyers prefer nz new or jap cars as less rust etc 

maybe get it up on hoist remove all the covers take pics etc send to me 

When you say pretty ugly underneath, what are we talking?

7 minutes ago, DECS E39 M5 said:

When you say pretty ugly underneath, what are we talking?

lots of corrison , on all steel parts , brake lines , bolts etc , scabby rust above the rear subframe etc 

bubbling rust between seams etc , rusty brake parts etc 

we just dont see that sort of rust on our (later model )cars here and when one does turn up it will be picked on 

then all repairs need to enginer certified etc and onl done by approved panel beaters etc 

if it looks anything like some of the cars i see in the BMW Uk magizines or youtube chanels , uk tv car shows etc i just wouldnt bother 

13 minutes ago, BM WORLD said:

lots of corrison , on all steel parts , brake lines , bolts etc , scabby rust above the rear subframe etc 

bubbling rust between seams etc , rusty brake parts etc 

we just dont see that sort of rust on our (later model )cars here and when one does turn up it will be picked on 

then all repairs need to enginer certified etc and onl done by approved panel beaters etc 

if it looks anything like some of the cars i see in the BMW Uk magizines or youtube chanels , uk tv car shows etc i just 

your painting the picture making UK cars sound like rust buckets and NZ cars like Californian cars.  There's plenty of rain back home too and I believe with these cars it's not the production date but the way its been looked after that matters? I get your point about avoiding problems but I'm confident mine will be good. I'm planning on getting a full inspection up on ramp by the AA here pre shipping just in case then I guess its fingers crossed!

Appreciate the help

2 minutes ago, DECS E39 M5 said:

your painting the picture making UK cars sound like rust buckets and NZ cars like Californian cars.  There's plenty of rain back home too and I believe with these cars it's not the production date but the way its been looked after that matters? I get your point about avoiding problems but I'm confident mine will be good. I'm planning on getting a full inspection up on ramp by the AA here pre shipping just in case then I guess its fingers crossed!

Appreciate the help

yea thats the best thing to do , check it over really good 

i have owned some uk cars here too that where ok 

but by choice i would normally avoid them and i think a lot of nzer's have the same oppinion 

6 minutes ago, DECS E39 M5 said:

your painting the picture making UK cars sound like rust buckets and NZ cars like Californian cars. 

Appreciate the help

Yup, it’s one of the biggest urban myths in NZ car sales “ooohh, it’s a UK import it’ll be full of rust” as if NZ cars never rust.

I brought my E30 convertible over from the UK when it was 20 years old. Yes it had surface rust on the exposed under body components, but nothing was noted on the compliance checks. All I had to do was replace a couple of worn brake discs and pads. And that was by a very straight and honest compliance centre, not one of the shonky ones.

Structural rust - ie holes through panels, bubbling under paint in key areas, is a different issue. And as you say not every car in UK has this - they would fail a MoT for a start. Keep any invoices you have for the work to show it has been done by a professional.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Yup, it’s one of the biggest urban myths in NZ car sales “ooohh, it’s a UK import it’ll be full of rust” as if NZ cars never rust.

I brought my E30 convertible over from the UK when it was 20 years old. Yes it had surface rust on the exposed under body components, but nothing was noted on the compliance checks. All I had to do was replace a couple of worn brake discs and pads. And that was by a very straight and honest compliance centre, not one of the shonky ones.

Structural rust - ie holes through panels, bubbling under paint in key areas, is a different issue. And as you say not every car in UK has this - they would fail a MoT for a start. Keep any invoices you have for the work to show it has been done by a professional.

yea also i think maybe your vert was a mostly summer car ? not driven on salty roads as much ? 

ive seen some late model cars 2-4years old like audi q7 bmw x5 etc which get driven all through winter , looking pretty horrible 

4 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

And as you say not every car in UK has this - they would fail a MoT for a start. 

They slap an mot on most everything over there that can pass emissions and hold together from my experience.

NZ import inspection and compliance is eons stricter. My import failed on every spec of rust even surface on diff, etc. All signs of previous repair they wanted stripping back and assessed. Just wasn't worth the 30k in repairs I was quoted so I sold it and it got exported to Oz where someone dumped a fortune into it.

5 hours ago, DECS E39 M5 said:

your painting the picture making UK cars sound like rust buckets and NZ cars like Californian cars.  There's plenty of rain back home 

It's not the rain, but the salt they chuck on the roads in winter - it traps moisture 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, BM WORLD said:

yea also i think maybe your vert was a mostly summer car ? not driven on salty roads as much ? 

House!! Salty roads, the other chestnut.

My ‘vert was ordered with a hardtop by a family member and was driven all year round until it came into my possession and I sold the hardtop.

3 hours ago, Blackie said:

They slap an mot on most everything over there that can pass emissions and hold together from my experience.

The MoT was stricter 16 years ago when I left the U.K. than a WoF is now.

Agree the compliance check is tougher than both. Maybe it’s got tougher since I brought my vert and touring in, not sure. Maybe you got someone having a bad day, or who had been pulled up for passing too many cars?

Some of the absolute shockers that I have seen as “fresh imports” suggest there is considerable variation in the standards applied by different inspectors.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

House!! Salty roads, the other chestnut.

It's legit, they literally have trucks (lorries lol) that salt the roads in winter. On most high streets they have a yellow bucket full of the stuff to shovel if you want. It destroys cars. I lived there for 12 years and watched my cars disintegrate.

Edit: You can literally MOT a V8 in an MX5 no questions asked

Edited by Blackie

https://www.local.gov.uk/your-winter-weather-questions-answered-0

"What is road grit?
The most common material used to treat road surfaces prior to freezing is rock salt. Rock salt is mined from underground mines. It can also be combined with grit which helps to provide traction and grind up the salt. Rock salt is a brown colour because it is unrefined and contains impurities, so it is often referred to as grit."

23 minutes ago, Blackie said:

https://www.local.gov.uk/your-winter-weather-questions-answered-0

"What is road grit?
The most common material used to treat road surfaces prior to freezing is rock salt. Rock salt is mined from underground mines. It can also be combined with grit which helps to provide traction and grind up the salt. Rock salt is a brown colour because it is unrefined and contains impurities, so it is often referred to as grit."

I'm aware of salt/grit as been in london for 15yrs!

I think cars should be judged on merits, not location but I appreciate all your comments good and bad. Believe me ice had many a sleepless night thinking of all these things. I'm nit planning on selling the car ever, so couldn't care about NZ import thing. I've dreamt of driving from Chch to Akaroa for a fish n chip run ever since I had it. I've thought about selling here and buying when I get there but I know the work I e done on this car in and out and don't want to go down the route of trusting another used.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

yep.  I lived and drove in That London for 3 years.  Never saw grit unless I was heading to Manchester, or Leeds, and only then in the depths of winter Dec-Feb.  Used to do North London A406-A40-M40-M25-M4 to Reading every morning, back via (A404? Marlowe etc) back down M40/A40/A406... never saw grit.  I reckon a Southern (softie) car would be generally okay; take each on it's merits.  Of course e24 with it's super-efficient rust traps is the exception.

2 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

The MoT was stricter 16 years ago when I left the U.K. than a WoF is now.

Agree the compliance check is tougher than both. Maybe it’s got tougher since I brought my vert and touring in, not sure. Maybe you got someone having a bad day, or who had been pulled up for passing too many cars?

Some of the absolute shockers that I have seen as “fresh imports” suggest there is considerable variation in the standards applied by different inspectors.

Do cars really need to be showroom concorse quality to get in to NZ?

My e61 M5 is a UK import and it certainly wasn't concourse condition, but it had no bad visible rust underneath, a small amount of surface rust on some fasteners, but nothing on the chassis, also no obvious repair work like a quick re-spray to hide the rust. If you are thinking about doing work to tidy it up, wait until its here as the compliance guys could ask you to re-do it.

If you like the car, and it sounds like you do, then take the punt, but be prepared to do/spend a bit to get it legal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aja540i said:

My e61 M5 is a UK import and it certainly wasn't concourse condition, but it had no bad visible rust underneath, a small amount of surface rust on some fasteners, but nothing on the chassis, also no obvious repair work like a quick re-spray to hide the rust. If you are thinking about doing work to tidy it up, wait until its here as the compliance guys could ask you to re-do it.

If you like the car, and it sounds like you do, then take the punt, but be prepared to do/spend a bit to get it legal.

Hey,

Did you bring yours in as a returning resident with personal vehicle?

No, it was here when I bought it, privately imported by the previous owner. 

On 11/11/2020 at 12:19 AM, DECS E39 M5 said:

Hi Everyone, 

First time on here and I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I'm moving back home in December from UK and planning on shipping my  beloved 1999 E39 M5. I've spoken to VINZ already regarding emission entry criteria. I'm exept as I've owned the car for 5yrs in UK so can bring it in as a returning residence car and pay the $184 exception fee. 

What I'm trying to find out is if any fellow E39 m5 owners currently in NZ have any issues getting a W.O.F with their emmision output.

Been dreaming of taking care from London to NZ roads since the day I got her so would really appreciate and advice.

Cheers,

Dec

Hey mate,

you're probably on the boat back to new zealand, but if not, here goes....Sell it if you want (resell is slightly higher in the UK at the moment compared to NZ), however don't expect to buy an e39 M5 back in NZ, everyones got there's locked in the garage and unlikely to sell, as you are probably fully aware, these cars bring amazingly and that fish n chip run sounds like a goer; i might try it myself. If you're gonna bring your motor over, I think it would be worth the hassle to get compliance. Certainly do the work here in NZ when it lands that way it should be sweet for another 20 years. You'll have no issues with emissions etc when getting wof. There's an e39 M5 club here, drop a message when you and the car land in NZ.