adro

E46 330i Touring

This cars consuming about 1L every 2500km. So I check the level fairly regularly.  
I’m putting HPR5 in the Golf and in the E46 so it keeps it simple. 

That a fair bit. Have you done the CCV?

6 minutes ago, Eagle said:

That a fair bit. Have you done the CCV?

I might be exaggerating abit but I’m pretty sure it’s about that. Yeah everything has been replaced and doesn’t look to be leaking anywhere. OFHG, sump gasket, rocker cover gasket, CCV. No blue smoke or anything out the back. 

Was it the genuine\OE replacement?, don't trust the diaphrams in the aftermarket ones. The few ive done on M52 and M54's reduced the oil consumption after replacement.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Was it the genuine\OE replacement?, don't trust the diaphrams in the aftermarket ones. The few ive done on M52 and M54's reduced the oil consumption after replacement.

Ah interesting. I had the same issue with a Meyle one on the M62. This is an ‘OE Supplier’ from FCP (I bought the kit) but it does look to have some negative reviews, might be worth putting in a genuine one. Thanks for the heads up. 

Yeah i saw that and it seemed a bit off. Ive installed the cold weather one in the past when doing the water pipes under intake.

3 hours ago, adro said:

This cars consuming about 1L every 2500km. So I check the level fairly regularly.  
I’m putting HPR5 in the Golf and in the E46 so it keeps it simple. 

I’ve not measured but mine uses plenty of oil as well - common on these engines I thought? but as I don’t do enough kms I’ve never really worried about it. Just top up a few times between changes.

Does not otherwise show any CCV symptoms smoke or anything and pulls hard. Maybe a new CCV would help but a few litres of oil is easier and cheaper 😬

O2 pilot mod is an option as well, supposed to work well, something to do with changing the vacuum so the piston rings work better? Which I understand can be a major reason for oil consumption.

BMW suggest 1 litre per 1500km is ‘fine’.

1 minute ago, Sammo said:

And thats why I daily a Honda 🤣 I'd be using over a litre of oil a month!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Sammo said:

I’ve not measured but mine uses plenty of oil as well - common on these engines I thought? but as I don’t do enough kms I’ve never really worried about it. Just top up a few times between changes.

Does not otherwise show any CCV symptoms smoke or anything and pulls hard. Maybe a new CCV would help but a few litres of oil is easier and cheaper 😬

O2 pilot mod is an option as well, supposed to work well, something to do with changing the vacuum so the piston rings work better? Which I understand can be a major reason for oil consumption.

Id say the only time you'd really see smoke is the the CCV completely fails. I figured the old ones were just clogged up or diaphragms were getting old\worn and maybe had slight leaks. Yeah rings are a very known weak point. If everything on the outside of engine is working you just live with it. If you drive at Autobahn speeds with a lot of engine braking you will certainly use more. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sammo said:

I found a 1L bottle of oil in the back compartment from the previous owner which makes me think the original engine also chewed oil (although the rip in the return tube from the CCV might have had something to do with it). 

I’m pretty keen to put the genuine valve in. I was so mad I skimped on it on the E39 for it to basically fail on its first startup, seems some parts are just worth paying the premium on. 

iv topped it up twice this year so it’s not super frequent, and now I’m aware of it I know roughly when to check the dipstick.

219,000km

Much needed wheel alignment. Didn't get the sheet but he said it was very 'out' . Tyres pumped up to 40psi up front and 36 in the rear, cars feeling great. Here's my photo assistant taking a smoko break.

51728320643_35044367cb_b.jpg

• Like 6

Out trying to drive the teething child to sleep. Noticed an intermittent noisy belt/pulley that will need further inspection while jumping out to take photos. Can't hear it from in side the cabin.

DSC_1822 DSC_1824 DSC_1829

• Like 7

Beautiful photos. I've always through the E46 touring is probably one of the most interesting cars BMW has made as an overall package. Perfect size, styling and level of tech you can easily DIY service. 

• Like 1

Ive got various new pulleys floating around if you figure it out the noise

9 hours ago, Michael. said:

Beautiful photos. I've always through the E46 touring is probably one of the most interesting cars BMW has made as an overall package. Perfect size, styling and level of tech you can easily DIY service. 

I'm finding it perfect for our needs, the auto makes it feel a bit old compared to modern cars but it's really not that bad.

3 hours ago, Eagle said:

Ive got various new pulleys floating around if you figure it out the noise

Excellent, I couldn't hear it today so I'll get in touch when it  becomes more prominent.

Edited by adro

On 12/6/2021 at 9:38 PM, adro said:

219,000km

Much needed wheel alignment. Didn't get the sheet but he said it was very 'out' . Tyres pumped up to 40psi up front and 36 in the rear, cars feeling great.

40F/36R - are you driving a Passat wagon?  That's a very FWD setup (FWDs usually run higher pressures in front).  Try 36F/41R - it's more in-line with the placard you'll find on the door frame.  Adjust in 0.5 psi increments up and down (independently) to arrive at your ideal.  HTH.

PS:  Love the photos!  

• Haha 1

220,000km

I scooped up some power folding mirrors from @Vass

51867838567_9387c293ec_b.jpg 51864522835_19c5d38648_b.jpg

This was a pretty simple install, door cards off and a bit of trim removal, modules already there so was a matter of plugging and playing.

The last step was to swap the colour caps over.....and of course, to my horror mine had the tabs broken and have been RTV'd in place.

51862908472_37ab971a5a_b.jpg 51862908452_d6ae4241cf_b.jpg

wazzup 2 tone.

Went to Union Hardware this morning and got a colour matched can of spray paint to return them back to white. These silver ones were in good condition so didn't require a massive amount of prep work. Light scuff and pissht piisshhht.

51869116394_c5c3b0dbe7_b.jpg 51868800991_889485a7ef_b.jpg 51868801246_7a7893bf24_b.jpg 51868882938_91d58a4fd9_b.jpg 51869453960_debe43e5fc_b.jpg

The old mirrors were in bad shape so needed tidying up anyway.

Old mirror:

51869143774_93b4d6dde7_b.jpg

The bloke at Union thought i might not need the clear coat (clearly did n't think my car was very shiny 😜) but turns out i think it does. So they are in place for now but will go back and get some clear coat another day.

Thanks to @Eagle for a nicely greased idler pulley. No more squeaky engine bay noise for the time being. My pulley was all crusted up with dry old grease. I noted the hydraulic tensioner pulley is spinning very freely and a bit wobbly so that's next on the list.

_DSC2059

Edited by adro
grammer
  • Like 3

Few little bits ticked off over the last few weeks.

I finally wrapped my steering wheel. Thanks @Sammo for the heads up on Mewant, and @Vass for sharing his version as this motivated me.

51883209330_9c179c3232_b.jpg 51882559371_e2c3c21dcd_b.jpg

Added this German Engineering expansion cap. Some heated debate on the forums about this product but my take on it was it's just going to vent some pressure before the 2 bar stock cap would...maybe saving some cooling pipes....pipes are new so also not too sure I'm too worried either way...was more a magpie purchase of a guy in the bimmer club...shiney engine bay thing for M54....take my money...and yes, I need a new power steering reservoir, or cap or something as it's leaking.

51883280285_b3802869a2_b.jpg 51882706378_59789d9f7c_b.jpg

This modlite module turned up from Bulgaria yesterday. I had one of these in the E39 to give me key fob folding mirrors and I really like it.They have since come down in price so I got one for the E46. https://modbmw.com

I'm in no way affiliated with them, but i do think its a cool product. You can do the functions with a newer LCM but i couldn't find any. This gives you welcome/follow me home lights, 3 click courtesy indicators and fold/unfold electric mirrors (providing you have the powerfold function to begin with). There's some other options but these are the ones i care about. I spliced it into where a cd stacker once lived in the back of the touring (ground, 12V and Kbus). Real easy spot and cable ties neatly to a bracket with some foam so it doesn't rattle.

51904472744_2845e68a68_b.jpg 51903186557_47a819d1f1_b.jpg

These little features make the car feel a touch more modern...and it’s nicer to use the fob to fold the mirrors than having to karate chop them manually. 

_DSC2067 _DSC2068

Edited by adro
  • Like 8

Few more little things ticked off the list.

51936378811_ed634d7771_b.jpg

serpentine belt tensioner pulley replaced. Old one looked a bit wobbly and since the other one had gone dry figured might be worth doing it preventatively. 

51936448618_332d5ca8ce_b.jpg

Replaced the o ring in the power steering reservoir and it’s been dry for over a week now.

51936986585_315f6c6a5b_b.jpg

51936986295_075c108bee_b.jpg

New tailgate struts. Little thing but now the boot Swings open. What a luxury. Before it was going 3/4 so wasn’t awful but one of those things that makes your car feel old. 

I have been driving it pretty softly with these expensive gas prices but it has enough torque that it plods around quite effortlessly. 

• Like 6

222,500km

Car has been undertaking it's daily duties nicely. Jammed it full of family stuff (and the family) over to the Wairarapa for school holidays recently.

On a whim i decided to get some roofracks for either roofbox, bikerack, ladder carrying duties. Went with Thule Aero EVO bars and the roofrack mount. I'm impressed with the design, they fit nicely and the T bar system is quick and easy. Can't comment on the wind noise (i'm sure it exists) as haven't been on the motorway since fitting.

_DSC5175 _DSC5177

• Like 12

Was suppose to photograph the E30 for sale photos today 😓, but by the time i gave it a vac the sun had come out. Ended up washing the E46 as it's been pretty neglected lately, was quite satisfying to clean some of the gunked up drain areas in the engine bay, although note to self...do it BEFORE i clean the rest of the car next time. The steering wheel has worn in nicely now, it's not as slippery as it was at first and looks a bit more natural. Had a few mins before child pick up and the sun had ducked behind the clouds so snapped a few pics.

AVP-6395 AVP-6396 AVP-6403

Edited by adro
  • Like 10

224,xxx km

All this talk of o2 sensors in @Vass thread reminded me that o2 sensors were on my list of things to do. If I had of been paying attention @Eagle had already done the hard work and found where to find these unusually hard to find part numbers and posted them in his thread. It's a little confusing as my headers are quite different to the diagram and the DIY tutorials all over the internet.

Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 9.45.24 PM

First time ordering from Spareto and i'm thoroughly impressed. About a week to arrive from Estonia. 

52246441269_48e40607c2_b.jpg

I'm a little premature here and have only replaced bank 1 as bank 2 as you can see is a lot harder to access and will take a bit more time.

52232736008_3a49c118e5_b.jpg

Old and new bank 1 sensors. 

52246651150_3c1d20bed3_b.jpg

The originals are dated 01 so being an 02 build car I'm pretty sure these are original. E30 is departing the garage this afternoon for good so will hopefully get bank 2's new sensor in soon.  

• Like 3