Sign in to follow this  
bradgalbraith

F20 M135i - Thoughts?

Been looking at reviews and by all accounts the F20 M135i seems like just about the perfect allrounder. Anyone owners on here who care to comment? Thanks

Didnt update the thread much and got way off topic on second page but first page has my summary on it which is still pretty relevant

Awesome car if it suits your lifestyle (as in hot hatch)

Cant remember if I posted in the thread but the biggest downside of this car IMO is lack of a LSD which I feel would absolutely transform it.

I was only running stage 1 tune (approx 220kW ATW) but if any more than that (stage 2) then it would be way too loose and potentially dangerous. 

Its one of the cars I held on to the longest (one and a half years) and I only sold it in order to cash up for a house deposit.

If not I reckon I would have loved driving it even now, I even tried to buy it back a few months ago as it came back up for sale but the engine sounded a bit.. just couldnt do it. too risky. I miss this car a lot haha

• Like 3

When I see a nice one going down the road I look. 

Test drove one and thought it was a (sleeper) weapon.

Platform makes them pretty limited with space (backseat & boot).

End of the line for BMW in this segment. 

What are you cross shopping with? (If you want bigger, consider a x3xd).

I think the styling of the Msport ones have aged pretty well - still look modern and have that mini wagon look more than a stumpy hatch.

Only heard good things about the ZF 8 speed - assume they are an N55 too.

Same drivetrain (and interior??) as an M235i at almost $15k less

Yep I found them to be a great car to drive apart from the tight space (bigger than an E87 though). 

In the end I bought an E60 M5 instead, which might hint that the 135i just wasn't special enough.  A 135i would be a totally sensible purchase, 4 out of 5 from me.

Its basically a two person wagon, comfortable for driver and passenger with plenty of boot space. But you can still take people in the back if required. Its honestly not thaaaaat small. 

My buddy Boytie has one and we fitted a new intercooler and gave it an MHD stage 1 tune. I have driven it a few times and its pretty rapid. Its a really nice cockpit and that ZF8HP box is a thing of joy. Much more HP than it has now could be a bit dangerous. On the twisties its really a lot of fun, one of the most enjoyable cars I have ever driven. 

• Like 1

Awesome to hear, thanks. Pretty much reaffirms everything I've heard already. It's a strange transition for me as I'm having to leave my e36 M3 behind. We had a little toyota daily but now with just a defender and an M3 it's not feasible to have two 'needy' cars. Looking to have something a bit more modern and comfortable. I think the M135i is a great all rounder and a superior alternative to an R32 MK5/ MK6 R.

• Like 1

Much superior in every respect:)

Hope you get one. You will enjoy it as a daily. The F chassis is something else above the E. 

• Like 1

Just test drove one... wow. My wife wasnt keen and said it looks too feminine but once I put my foot down we were both convinced! Such a good little car with quite a lot of character. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bradgalbraith said:

Just test drove one... wow. My wife wasnt keen and said it looks too feminine but once I put my foot down we were both convinced! Such a good little car with quite a lot of character. 

Becomes very quick with a tune. 

Make sure you replace the plastic charge pipe with a metal one if it hasnt already been done. Otherwise it will eventually blow and put the car in limp mode.

keep up with regular oil changes. These engines run super hot almost 115-120dC so you dont ever want to pass the service interval.

stage 1 tune highly recommended and dont need any other parts other than the charge pipe.
Stage 2 is a bit more involved with more parts required. 

7 hours ago, qube said:

Make sure you replace the plastic charge pipe with a metal one if it hasnt already been done. Otherwise it will eventually blow and put the car in limp mode.

keep up with regular oil changes. These engines run super hot almost 115-120dC so you dont ever want to pass the service interval.

stage 1 tune highly recommended and dont need any other parts other than the charge pipe.
Stage 2 is a bit more involved with more parts required. 

Ok good to know. I'm always on top of my oil changes and will use the best quality. Interesting that they run so hot. I'm not even sure how often youd get to put your foot flat with a stage 1! It's a rocket from the factory! 

I’ve always been intrigued by the M135i- a real wolf in sheep’s clothing. I’m curious- what’s the steering feel like compared to the more traditional hydraulic steering of the E-series cars (130i etc)?

5 hours ago, ///M said:

I’ve always been intrigued by the M135i- a real wolf in sheep’s clothing. I’m curious- what’s the steering feel like compared to the more traditional hydraulic steering of the E-series cars (130i etc)?

Honestly, it suits the character of the car and seeing as the rest of it is so modern eg zf8 not 6speed auto. Its a bit lighter for normal day to day driving and feels fine for that. Once you want a bit more control put it in sport mode and it tightens up and makes it heavier. This sports mode for steering was not my personal favorite in most cases, comfort setting was fine for 95% of the driving i did and i did a lot of driving around north island in mine including a lot of rural backroads

it’s definitely not the same as the old hydraulic steering where you can feel every bump on the road which is both a good and bad thing depending on the situation.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, qube said:

Honestly, it suits the character of the car and seeing as the rest of it is so modern eg zf8 not 6speed auto. Its a bit lighter for normal day to day driving and feels fine for that. Once you want a bit more control put it in sport mode and it tightens up and makes it heavier. This sports mode for steering was not my personal favorite in most cases, comfort setting was fine for 95% of the driving i did and i did a lot of driving around north island in mine including a lot of rural backroads

it’s definitely not the same as the old hydraulic steering where you can feel every bump on the road which is both a good and bad thing depending on the situation.

Thanks for that qube! Out of interest- does the steering load up in the corners in comfort mode? I should really take one out for a test drive...  

Aaaaand I bought one. Very content with my decision despite blowing up the charge pipe on the test drive! lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

that means you gave it some jandal on the test drive. nice!

you will be very happy with it, its probably the most fun car in that price bracket imo and not as precious as an M car. 

• Like 1

He warned me that there were some hairlines cracks but I was curious to see if it would last.. it didn't. Got an aluminium one on the way. Hopefully it's not too much of a PITA to fit. I still can't believe how rapid it is. 

IMG_2081.jpg

• Like 3

charge pipe is relatively easy. its the boost pipe that got me raging trying to fit it. the clearance is non-existant so you gotta wriggle it around and somehow get it out the bottom and put the new one in.

these cars would benefit from an LSD as I previously mentioned but if not, try to look for some wider wheels and good tyres especially for the rear. something along the lines of 18x9 or 9.5 with 265/35/18 would be perfect. offset is very tricky with these to get right.

• Like 1

Charge pipe is pretty straight forward, I have done one on an M135i and it was about a two and a half hour job. I am sure you will really enjoy it.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Blackie said:

What can be done to remove that doh look on it's face? 🤔 

Yes, needs a more aggressive kidney grill design IMHO, lights and bumper themselves are fine. Problem is that different style grills would require an entirely different front end...