Sign in to follow this  
emandru

Reliability of N47t engines

Hi everyone,

I've been looking at getting an x3 20d with the n47t engine. This engine is common in a lot of 20d vehicles from the early 2010s. Reading online it seems the engine is prone to timing chain failures. In some countries, BMW issued a recall and also provided some support if the chain failed. Does anyone have experience with the n47t engine? Did BMW ever do something about them? 

Cheers

Eddy 

Several topics on this previously. The engine was updated 2-3 times over its life. (2007-2015ish). Given how many of these engines there are out there I don’t think timing chain issues are terribly prevalent, however it’s an expensive job to replace as chain is on the back of the engine. Other issue is 25k km / 2 yr oil change interval magnifies the issues so check the service history. There’s an N47 engined E91 in my family that’s done 250k Km with no issues

Also look into the cause of the timing chain issues. On some models it's down to a poorly designed chain tensioner. Replacing this tensioner as early as possible with the upgraded part can avoid the problem altogether. I don't if this is the came on the N47 but it is the case on the N46.

Ya I guess that where I've gotten confused since there are a significant amount of cars with these engines in nz but  ot much seems to be talked about failures in nz. Mostly being seen in the north American and UK markets. Making me think if its a case of the minority voice being the loudest....

The power of Google, search for anything and you'll find what you are looking for a hundred times over