Sign in to follow this  
SmackJackTheCrackerMan

N54 Coolant flange

Just a shot in the dark but wondering if anybody has a N54 coolant flange they don’t require?

Preferably an upgraded billet but I will buy either to get back on the road! 

Does any company within NZ do a billet coolant flange to save me shipping from overseas? 
Thanks in advance! 

7E32D713-D1BB-47E4-AF88-B33372A27386.jpeg

I managed to source the part I needed (above) and now have the car back on the road.

So the story is I have just replaced the Oil filter housing gasket & oil cooler gasket and replaced with all new bolts and o rings to the oil lines. I have also gave the car an oil & filter change, as well as a coolant top up as I lost quite a bit when the flange dissolved in my hands.

First drive before the car even got up to temp the engine went into limp mode and reduced power. Luckily I managed to limp the car home without issue. Turned off let it cool down.

Second  drive (engine light gone) and things seem okay  when up to temp except when cruising the car seems to surge forward, then stop then surge, then stop and will just keep doing that. I have been back in the engine bay and checked everything I can think of is tightened up.

Any suggestion of when this could be?

Did you bleed the coolant system?

What code is it throwing?

14 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Did you bleed the coolant system?

What code is it throwing?

Yes, I bled the coolant (twice just to be sure)

I don't know what code as I don't have a code reader/scan tool.

I have checked using the BC check and nothing showing there.

Without a code will be pissing in the wind, grabbing an OBD2/usb cable and ista+ for $30 or a bluetooth thing like bimmergeeks protools will make it much easier and faster.

34 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Without a code will be pissing in the wind, grabbing an OBD2/usb cable and ista+ for $30 or a bluetooth thing like bimmergeeks protools will make it much easier and faster.

Yeah, I kinda figured that ?

I do have a K+DCAN cable and a few BMW programs that I have downloaded (INPA, NCS Dummy, Tool32, WinKFP, NCS Expert) but I don't have a clue how to read the fault codes.

ISTA+ is the bad boy you want, have you got that installed? 

While I’m here though I’m now in need of a PCV screw on cap as the one I’m currently using has a slight crack. 

I've tried FCP EURO but only available if I purchase a full valve cover ($400 + shipping) and can’t get alone. 

anybody have one laying around? Looks similar to this picture. 

4909C80E-72A2-4E94-B2A0-D7A917389272.webp

Edited by SmackJackTheCrackerMan
Didn’t show photo

Got my MHD Wi-Fi adapter in today, not codes when I ran it.

I've just flashed Stage 1 Map and the car feels so much better, super happy with it. Can't believe what a difference it has made. gone from 306hp stock to 360hp. Makes a big difference.

And the surging I was suffering while cruising seem to have gone. Just drove to Palmy & back this morning and all clear.

Looking to push up the power a little now so I will need an upgraded Front mount intercooler and Catless down pipes, any recommendations? The shipping for such a big item is killer from the US, anything within NZ?

VRSF shipping has been fairly reasonbile in my opinion. They are a place in USA that does perfomance parts for n54. I've got a few things from them and its been pretty good so far. (Charge pipe and inlets)

Its highly recommend to replace your charge pipe and diverter valves to a BOV or forged diverter values as you are running higher boost. These pipes are plastic and can crack/split due to the higher boost. 

Also if the spark plugs and ignition coils are old they can cause misfires, so I'd recomend doing them as well, Eldor or Delphi coil are good. OEM Bosch plugs are fine with MHD OTS maps but if you want to go the custom tune route then get NGK 1 step cooler plugs.  

Most stuff in NZ/Trademe is just china stuff from Aliexpress or Ebay anyway. I did get aliexpress downpipes but fitment was an issue. The 5inch intercooler had good fitment from Aliexpress. (Some intercoolers require you to cut some of the plastic out the bumber for it to fit) I had to do this with mine. If you have big power in mind then get the largest intercooler you can find within budget. I am needing to get a larger intercooler as this is starting to be too small now. 

On 12/18/2020 at 8:41 PM, Ninjaspartan said:

VRSF shipping has been fairly reasonbile in my opinion. They are a place in USA that does perfomance parts for n54. I've got a few things from them and its been pretty good so far. (Charge pipe and inlets)

Its highly recommend to replace your charge pipe and diverter valves to a BOV or forged diverter values as you are running higher boost. These pipes are plastic and can crack/split due to the higher boost. 

Also if the spark plugs and ignition coils are old they can cause misfires, so I'd recomend doing them as well, Eldor or Delphi coil are good. OEM Bosch plugs are fine with MHD OTS maps but if you want to go the custom tune route then get NGK 1 step cooler plugs.  

Most stuff in NZ/Trademe is just china stuff from Aliexpress or Ebay anyway. I did get aliexpress downpipes but fitment was an issue. The 5inch intercooler had good fitment from Aliexpress. (Some intercoolers require you to cut some of the plastic out the bumber for it to fit) I had to do this with mine. If you have big power in mind then get the largest intercooler you can find within budget. I am needing to get a larger intercooler as this is starting to be too small now. 

Hi @Ninjaspartan thanks for the advise. 

I was looking at VRSF but I really want to have the Intercooler black and they don’t offer on in black (I want to keep it quite stealth) 
I think I’m going to get everything from ARM Motorsport. Intercooler (graphite), charge pipe with Tail Bov, catless downpipes and duel cone intakes. 
shippinng is $300 USD which is horrendous, but I don’t see any other option. 

When it comes to injectors is it a must to have index12? Mine currently have x3 5’s & x3 9’s and I’m not having any issues atm. I was planning on just leaving them until they break or should I be looking at replacing sooner rather than later? 

I think index 5 was very early in application on N54s, I changed my 7s for 12s along with port clean, transformed the power delivery and smoothness.

No cheap tho! Around NZ$350 each.🤔