Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Z3 buying guide?

Not an 'exciting' one, but a capable one. Looking at a 1997 1.9 (M44 engine) with autobox. Should be a nice light, sweet handling car, as far as I can tell.

Anything in particular to look (out) for?

It's a vert, and the roof has been replaced; no damp inside. Interior looks good and tidy, lots of history, M-sport suspension, possibly a LSD, usual age-related paint issues which if it is any good, may be worth spending a few $ on to get sorted.

From pics (which can be deceiving) it does look like a nice, well-looked-after car.

And not even half the current asking price of a similar E30!

On 11/25/2020 at 1:19 PM, gjm said:

Not an 'exciting' one, but a capable one. Looking at a 1997 1.9 (M44 engine) with autobox. Should be a nice light, sweet handling car, as far as I can tell.

Anything in particular to look (out) for?

It's a vert, and the roof has been replaced; no damp inside. Interior looks good and tidy, lots of history, M-sport suspension, possibly a LSD, usual age-related paint issues which if it is any good, may be worth spending a few $ on to get sorted.

From pics (which can be deceiving) it does look like a nice, well-looked-after car.

And not even half the current asking price of a similar E30!

Unlikely to have the LSD. Buy on condition, body fit to me is quite important, especially the front and rear panels. Unlikely to rise in value, should be at the bottom of the bell curve and staying there. The M44 is well documented as being an oil dripper if not maintained. 

Edited by Bandit
  • Thanks 1

I've had lots to do with Z3's.  Had a 1.9 M44 auto a while back.  Was very nicely balanced for a twisty road car.  Short on performance.  Had to get the engine above 3,500 rpm before anything happened.  Always check the plastic Y connector on the back of the block.  If it looks like it is leaking (dried antifreeze) walk away from it.  The connector has been the death of many M44 engines as it's unseen and when it breaks it overheats the engine.

I now have a 2.L straight 6 with a manual transmission as a daily driver.  Its OK at 150 HP and a lot of fun with the manual transmission.  Heavier in the front than the M44B19, so a bit slower around the corners in the twisties.

My other Z3 is a M54B30 3.0L auto transmission car.  231 HP in a light body makes it one beast of a car when you put your foot down.

It comes down to what you want the car for.  If you are into a bit of performance driving, then the 1.9 with a supercharger is the best balance.  Other wise buy the biggest 6 cylinder Z3 that you can find/afford.  The 2.2 is good.  The 2.8 or 3.0L are better.  Then if you have the money and can find one, the 3.2 Z3M is an exciting car.  Finding a manual transmission Z3 in the larger engine sizes is difficult.

Always take the boot carpet out on any Z3 you are looking to buy.  It the spot welds holding the cross car subframe are pulling or have broken (rust circles around them), then run away for the car.  This happens more with the higher horse power manual cars than the auto cars, but always look.

Edited by NZ00Z3
  • Thanks 1

I think the M44 engine offers quite decent low rpm performance for it age, needs to be good running order with a working DISA valve though. The auto robs a bit of whp but its geared to counter that. For me they go well enough up to ~100kph but just don't cut it for open road passing etc. 

Only significant oil leaks ive ever done on a M44 have been valve cover gaskets and oil filter bushing o-rings. They hold up quite well and don't any many areas to leak from when compared to the newer stuff. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2020 at 9:26 PM, Bandit said:

Unlikely to rise in value, should be at the bottom of the bell curve and staying there. 

Sounds similar to what was said about E30s... 😉

But investment value wouldn't be the reason for purchase. 

3 minutes ago, gjm said:

Sounds similar to what was said about E30s... 😉

But investment value wouldn't be the reason for purchase. 

There is a ton of internet chatter and hyperbole not only about the alleged increase in sale price of E30's but other brands too. On NZ's prime selling site our beloved Trade Me, we note that very few  advertised cars move garage at the asking. or close to, or are withdrawn quickly, possibly indicating a sale. Most gamely soldier on with constant price reductions until vanishing, sometimes years after the initial listing. A good example of this is the AW E30 M3 Evo1 gamely listed  some two years ago, and at last approaching reality at 85k ish. Very few cars offered for sale in a true auction listing sell, as most vendors are reluctant to set a sensible reserve.

And now we see most listings bugged by an endless stream of mindless and idiotic questions from the itinerant armchair critics and keyboard warriors out there, everyone an eggspurt.😬

Most mint cars with excellent provenence  move smartly given a willing seller / buyer scenario. There is always a home for a "proper" car with these attributes , and realistic sellers usually achieve sales. There are not enough realists using TM in the way it is designed, as an auction house, surely the only way to determine market value.

Concluding, in our considered opinion the little Z3 roadster whilst being a sweet little unit is unlikely to increase in value given time, notwithstanding owning a nice one it could be fun to tootle about in. 😉

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Apologies to gjm, the OP with an innocent question. A bit off piste here with a bit of a rant and my opinion of Trade Me. Mea culpa Graham😵

Edited by Bandit

Mike Brewer rates the Z3 1.9 too

Edited by Olaf
the precursor vidjo added
  • Like 2

Have heard if auto the cooler for it is part of the main raidiator. If correct then coolant system will need to be in good order. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/28/2020 at 6:03 PM, Bandit said:

E30 M3 Evo1

Is there something wrong with this Car, why has it been for sale for so long ? Is it because RHD conversion ? Interested to get others thoughts ?

Correct. The money for E30M3 is in the collectability - which equates to originality and low kms. The RHD conversion is the killer, no M3s were factory RHD, plus there are a number of other mods and changes on this car.

Using TradeMe as a yard stick for the market is not always a good thing, most good cars get sold before they hit TM. As you kind of mentioned, this is in the most part the true kickers and the dreamers in the bottom end of the market.

Still just above BookFace marketplace though..