Sign in to follow this  
DRM

E36 328i Radiator Replace/Refresh?

The radiator on my 328i coupe is showing signs of leakage and wear. I know that something to keep a close eye on is the cooling system on these things and with it doing 260xxxkm I though a full refresh is in order. ECS tuning and the like do full refresh kits (OEM or aftermarket) and was wondering if anyone has tried these out or has any recommendations with a way forward. Cheers. 

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/cooling-maintenance-kit-level-3/11517527910kt/

I did the full cooling system on my e36 M3 and my 328i and for both it was cheapest to import everything via FCP Euro, OE Behr radiators and all. ECS do tend to be more expensive in general than FCP but I'm sure that they have better deals from time-to-time, would pay to cross check.

No point in importing coolant though, just pick it up from Repco or Supercheap. Despite what some would have you believe, the BMW stuff isn't unicorn semen. 

Edited by M3AN
  • Thanks 1

Hi there - how did you go with this project.  I need to replace the radiator on my E6 M3 3.2, which is a track/Targa car.  Any recommendations on brand and specs (eg Behr or just go OEM)?  What price should I be expecting to pay?    Oh and - supplementary question - given it is on the track, I intend to use water wetter.  Any suggested racetrack-friendly alternatives?  Thanks in advance.

Edited by Car 3
Supplementary question

As above, just import a Behr radiator, they're the OE supplier anyway. I got mine from FCP and it couldn't have been easier.

Consider a lower temp thermo switch and thermostat if you're tracking the car, I went down to 88*C IIRC and removed the clutch fan which has been fine.

• Like 1