Sign in to follow this  
3 SERIES

87 E30 M3 Evolution

Hi All,

Anyone know the background or have any intel on this E30 M3?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/2877889331

I recall there being a post about it some time ago with a bit of criticism? I cant find the post but if I can be pointed in the right direction that would be appreciated.

Cheers

Have been wondering same, strange it’s been listed for so long and seems after seller was firm on price for a long time despite heaps of feedback, price seems to be falling and still no bites. 

Making the RHD conversion disappear from the sheet metal is simple stuff, but I'd say anyone seriously interested has seen the price of E30 M3 racks and LHD E30 dashboards and baulked. Front seat bolsters have been retrimmed as well, so; another financial consideration.

Road & Track did a few E30 M3 conversions to RHD, but I don't know if they changed the headers, the set Kevin Mosen has had for sale for years at $400 might be a smart buy.

The only special part of an Evo 1 is the cylinder head with the "E" casting, aside from that, it's a standard production model E30 M3.

Cool car though, the wife used to daily drive it in the same neighbourhood when I was on my restricted.

Thanks guys.

Still can't find the post on it.

I recall discussion around the legitimacy of it being an evo 1?

If anyone can shed some light that would be appreciated

I find it curious that there is no info in the ad about how/where the conversion was done, thought I suppose a truly interested buyer would make an enquiry with the seller.

I'm curious as to what posters think about whether the car is worth more or less due to the RHD conversion.

Edited by topnotchrally

11 hours ago, leichtbau said:

Making the RHD conversion disappear from the sheet metal is simple stuff, but I'd say anyone seriously interested has seen the price of E30 M3 racks and LHD E30 dashboards and baulked. Front seat bolsters have been retrimmed as well, so; another financial consideration.

Road & Track did a few E30 M3 conversions to RHD, but I don't know if they changed the headers, the set Kevin Mosen has had for sale for years at $400 might be a smart buy.

The only special part of an Evo 1 is the cylinder head with the "E" casting, aside from that, it's a standard production model E30 M3.

Cool car though, the wife used to daily drive it in the same neighbourhood when I was on my restricted.

Are you suggesting changing it back to LHD?  Would that increase its value?

11 hours ago, leichtbau said:

You have to change the headers, steering column goes right through them, this was the main reason for no factory RHD version being developed.

Most RHD conversions took the factory headers and cut & re-welded to make a gap for the steering column, which resulted in a reduction in power and torque.

I was lucky enough to get a fully fabricated set of s/s headers for my S14 at a good price.

6 minutes ago, topnotchrally said:

Are you suggesting changing it back to LHD?  Would that increase its value?

Yes, massively. E30 M3 prices are all about originality, as they are collectors items. I would suggest the main reason this car has sat for so long is the RHD conversion. It is now slowly coming into the correct price bracket for a RHD Evo I.

The owner should spend a few more mins on the vehicle history and a couple of hundred on some pro photos.
Would be worth then advertising in the UK, Japan, Aus, Singapore, HK etc.

I want a RHD version - swap in an newer S motor and live happily ever after. 

• Like 2

If originality is not a factor for you, buying a non-M E30 and adding the exterior bits would work out much cheaper.

A rusted out (holes through floor) rolling body still sells for around US$20k which is mad, mostly as I can’t afford to pay that!!

Replacement steel panels are now all available from various sources.

Here's the old posts. Looks as if its been sitting on TradeMe for over four years now. Crazy.

1987 M3 E30 Evolution1 NZ new! - TradeMe discussions - bimmersport.co.nz

Anyone seen this beauty - RHD E30 M3 - TradeMe discussions - bimmersport.co.nz

If I was to one day get an M3, I wouldn't mind it being RHD as it would make it so much better to drive on our roads. I've been stuck many times behind imported LHD Camaros & Mustangs etc who cant pass the truck or campervan in front of them on the open road. They just have to sit there at 80kph while Nissan Micras pass them both.

Then again, if I was to spot a RHD M3 driving past, my first thought would be "is that a 318i with a fiberglass kit?"

52 minutes ago, slideways said:

I've been stuck many times behind imported LHD Camaros & Mustangs etc who cant pass the truck or campervan in front of them on the open road. 

hahahahaha, and they can never get into parking lots with automatic ticket machines unless with a passenger :D

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, qube said:

hahahahaha, and they can never get into parking lots with automatic ticket machines unless with a passenger :D

Pffft - thats what the 'R' on the gear stick is for

• Haha 2

My former E30 M3 evo 2 was converted when new to RHD in NZ (export delivery) as was my integrale.

Wouldn't have swapped either for LHD for use in NZ. Just too difficult and stressful overtaking.

Edited by integrale

5 hours ago, qube said:

6ede9e53-b124-4736-afcc-5b6bc6f9ee0c_1.0