Sign in to follow this  
nzld

Towbar

Hi All,

Have a 2012 750i, decided I might just get a quote to have a towbar fitted; the agent emailed me back with an estimate of $5197.67 fitted.

After I finished choking, priced a new one out of the UK with controller, wiring and towbar landed here including gst for $1840 

That's just over half of the cost for just the towbar itself on the estimate.

Would be interested to hear your comments

Cheers, G

support local!

im just kidding, but thats a huge price difference. I dont think labour would be that intensive either.

Definitely get a few quotes locally just to check but if you have someone to install it or you can DIY then importing seems to be the cheapest option.

I managed to find a secondhand one for few hundred and fitted myself in the past and saved heaps off paying for a new one locally but dont think a 2012 7 series with towbar would be too common..

worth noting that a UK bar won't have chain attachment and will be 50mm ball size - as opposed to 1' 7'8" NZ standard. check with Coombes Johnston BMW in Hamilton as they seem to be most competitively priced of main dealers.

The quote is so high because BMW have no interest in supplying retrofit accessories for a superseeded model.

Here's the break down,

fit and wire $810

wiring kit $299

trailer coup $3168.97

control unit $241.13

grab snatch and take $677.87

total $5196.97

Just found a full system in Aus for $1330 AUD

Edited by nzld

Again Australian tow hitches are different to NZ standards and will require additional modifications and parts to be legal in NZ.

Don’t forget to allow for the additional programming of the vehicle to recognise when a trailer is attached, PDC constantly beeping gets annoying real fast.

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 10:07 PM, 3pedals said:

1 &7/8 is not the NZ standard, we actually adpoted the ISO 50mm standard about  25 years ago except being the  adaptable country we are we hung on to the redundant 1&7/8 as well and appear incapable of letting go. 

I think we tend to adapt when it makes sense to do so.

9 hours ago, Blackie said:

I think we tend to adapt when it makes sense to do so.

It was a case of the country being run by farmers who caused uproar that they would have to change all the farm equipment at the time

3 hours ago, 3pedals said:

All evidence to the contrary two incompatible standards are as bad as a no standard

Oh, so now we have two standards? You've contradicted your previous statement. People just use whatever they have that works, it's the kiwi way.

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

It was a case of the country being run by farmers who caused uproar that they would have to change all the farm equipment at the time

Fair enough 👌