Sign in to follow this  
JDLFC

Newbie with questions!

Hey everyone,

Long time since I've used a car forum, previous VASK member here, not sure if I should mention that haha.

Essentially my partner and I are wanting to get a 116i. This may be obvious to you guys but I've noticed a cross over in shape from around 2011. 
Just seeking some clarification on what E87 vs F20 means other than being a different shape. For example is a 2011 E87 the same car as the 2011 F20 looking model or is that the year the platform changes?

Also what are some of the things to look out for before buying, common issues etc.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Don't worry, you're among VASK friends, just ask @Sammo, he's a fan. His wife's Audi was an instant hit.

The E87 and F20's are a completely different platform, not just a 'facelift' type thing and pretty-much all of the engines changed at this time, including the loss of the glorious straight 6 NA N52 engine from the 130i. The F2x is vastly more modern but the E8x doesn't feel particularly old. The F2x was the last of the BMW rear wheel drives in this class of car (sadly). The F2x 8 speed auto is one of the best in the world.

What to look out for really depends on your budget and the model/engine you're looking it, any hints there? For example, I'd say that you're shouldn't pay a premium for an equivalent 2011 E87 over, for example, a 2008 model because almost nothing changed. The difference between a 2011 E87 and a 2011 F20 is night and day.

Edited by M3AN
  • Haha 2

Also be aware that friends dont let friends by 4 pot BMWs, not sure if this applies to VASK members or not... :D 

6 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Don't worry, you're among VASK friends, just ask @Sammo, he's a fan. His wife's Audi was an instant hit.

I see what you did there...🤡

• Like 1

@Jacko That is true although the N43/N46 in the E87 1 series is a particularly shitty example. Front end will never rust because the oil all ends up on the outside. N13 in the F20 appears to be somewhat more reliable (relative term)

To answer your question, 

A 116i is a great choice IF you get the F20 shape. Think of the F20 like "MK6 golf" and the E87 as the "MK5 golf" but the difference is even greater.

If you are looking for the F20 116i, you will find some as early as 2011, and you will notice that there are some 2011 E87 116i. i.e. the crossover period.

Avoid the E87 shape 116/118/120. It is a disastrous engine that leaks and will have a lot of problems. Just dont even consider it. 

It should be pretty obvious to differentiate the F20 shape and the E87 after you look at a few, the newer one is a bit rounder, has much better interior and functions.

Also, pay attention to the different "trim levels" amongst the F20.

There is the base model, then urban model, then the sport model, then in 2013 there was a special "edition 30" for nz new, and finally the m sport.

(if there is no rectangle badge on the front fender, its base/urban, if the badge says sport its sport, if it says edition 30 its edition 30 and the msport has a completely different front and rear bumper design all together and m badges or no badges)

I would suggest to go for anything sport or higher if budget allows. 

The differences are subtle but substantial at the same time.

urban line:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/116i/listing/2872163665

base model:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/116i/listing/2896822895

sport model:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/116i/listing/2791186818

edition 30:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/116i/listing/2780289604

m sport:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/116i/listing/2872066190

Edited by qube
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, M3AN said:

The E87 and F20's are a completely different platform, not just a 'facelift' type thing and pretty-much all of the engines changed at this time, including the loss of the glorious straight 6 NA N52 engine from the 130i. The F2x is vastly more modern but the E8x doesn't feel particularly old. The F2x was the last of the BMW rear wheel drives in this class of car (sadly). The F2x 8 speed auto is one of the best in the world.

What to look out for really depends on your budget and the model/engine you're looking it, any hints there? For example, I'd say that you're shouldn't pay a premium for an equivalent 2011 E87 over, for example, a 2008 model because almost nothing changed. The difference between a 2011 E87 and a 2011 F20 is night and day.

Hey, I've got no problem with VAG 😎

My GTI was perfect

• Like 1

Not sure what your plans for the car are, but Eurosurgeon was just advertising them pulling 50+ percent power and torque on totally stock F20 116i.'s...

^ its absolutely true. 
the 116 is same internals as a 120i. 
you can also take a stock 320i and tune it to 328i power for the F30

4 hours ago, M3AN said:

What to look out for really depends on your budget and the model/engine you're looking it, any hints there? 

Not a big budget on this one as it's a replacement for our second car which has become impractical now. So we're looking in the 12.5-15k range. The car its replacing we've had from new and have only done 45k km's in 6 years, that's the sort of usage the new car will be getting if that's something to factor in. We've probably limited the search to cars with less km's, as you do, but if the service history is up to date are they still a good buy near or after 100,000km's?

Thanks for that great run down @qube we have checked out the base, urban and sport versions. The urban was "eye catching" to say the least, especially with the very shiny white interior trim! Some of those you listed I hadn't seen, probably due to have our search criteria on km's pretty low so maybe I'll up it.

Once mechanical warranty runs out it's definitely something I'll be looking into @Sammo!

• Like 1

Ive owned two 116i’s. First one was a jap import, i bought it at 100kms and sold around 120kms. It was a 2012 sport version. Never had a single issue except one plastic intake pipe.
The one we got now is a 2013 edition 30 nz new with 40kms and its immaculate. 

they are very reliable and you will be able to find a good one for 10-15k easy. This is the price range. 

definitely try to find one u like the spec of and if it has service history then kms wont matter much. 

Hey guys,

So we've checked out a few cars now, maybe a few to many, but we came across one we like and I noticed it had something called EfficientDynamics. My google searching has gotten me no where as all I can find is that the diesel version of the car has this function but this is definitely not a diesel. Just curious if anyone has any info on what it does and if it's something to be avoided.

Cheers!

EfficientDynamics is BMW-speak for a group of CO2 reducing functions: idle start-stop, brake energy regeneration etc. Haven't seen it on the F2x models so assume you're looking at an E87...

Edited by balancerider

1 hour ago, balancerider said:

EfficientDynamics is BMW-speak for a group of CO2 reducing functions: idle start-stop, brake energy regeneration etc. Haven't seen it on the F2x models so assume you're looking at an E87...

Oh right that doesn't sound too bad then. 

Heres an example, you can see it on the dash.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/2898105149

It's crazy two of the dealers we've visited have sworn to me that they're twin turbo. Probably not the best place to buy from then eh.

All F20's will have efficient dynamics. It is part of the "eco mode". You can pretty much disregard it, its useless (imo)

That one in the link is actually quite well priced for a 120i and mileage. Its got good features like the widescreen display, the bigger display on the dash cluster and multifunction steering wheel and PCD.

Unfortunately the two tone seats are a bit weird for me but not a dealbreaker if the rest of the car is good.

Regarding the turbo, it is ONE turbocharger, but twin powered, the exhaust is double backed to the same turbo. 

Yeah the seats aren't great but as you say not a deal breaker. However after a carjam search and putting the VIN into a vin decoder its apparently only a 118i. Could that be possible? Rebadged in Japan to sell it for more to an importer?

Going to look at it tomorrow, would the manual have more info on what the car really is? Assuming it has it.

regional differences in badging - pre-LCI 120i in other markets had a 2L 4cyl, in Japan it was an uprated version of the N13 in the 116i.