Sign in to follow this  
Sammo

Driveshaft Hoops - Universal or Custom?

So, went for my cert today for the Coilovers and Manual Swap and failed...

Appears the driveshaft in it is not the factory 330ci manual one and as it appeared likely modified to fit (not sure how they could tell as doubt they pulled the heat shields etc off) and had a washer welded on to it (for balancing?) apparently I will need two driveshaft hoops. I did buy the car already swapped so I don't really know too much about the driveline except for what's stamped on the Gearbox (ZF 1053401131)and Diff (3.38 auto diff). Cert guy did mentioned it appeared all well done but the law is the law...

I'm guessing the exhaust and driveshaft will need to be removed to fit these? 

Have messaged NZ Speedshop about some for an E46 but I can't see any real web presence from them for some time?

You will probably have to disconnect the driveshaft to get hoops over but you shouldn't need to totally remove it, who is doing your cert?

30 minutes ago, aja540i said:

You will probably have to disconnect the driveshaft to get hoops over but you shouldn't need to totally remove it, who is doing your cert?

Paul Urquart on North Shore 

I'm assuming it was a 330ci auto prior.

I'd be more inclined to try track down a unmodified "factory" driveshaft, and then not require the hoops. 

Due to only requirement for the hoops is due to your driveshaft being modified. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_07-2016_Drive-shaft_Safety-loop_Requirements.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjc58nL5sXtAhV0IbcAHSjmD0EQFjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw292hljGfPsbMtkkM0ZeVUf

Otherwise I would recommend something custom, as the general ones require holes in the floor pan, which while easy, isn't as tidy as a tunnel mounted one. 

• Like 1

@nick496 yup was an auto.

I imagine a manual driveshaft would be tricky to find and probably similar cost / install wise?

sounds like custom hoops are the way to go.

Did a manual conversion in my E36. Had to add hoops for the cert guy. Seems to be a grey area, some certifiers want hoops and some don't.

Also, if it was done after Nov 2017 and the brake pedal was changed to add the clutch pedal it will need certifying ( that's if they notice it was converted at the testing station).

The tunnel on E36/E46 is really tight with not much room for hoops. You'll have to go custom for the rear hoop as the ready made ones don't fit. Ready made might fit the front but they're butt-ugly... The trans tunnel is also double skinned on the E36 - not sure about the E46. If the E46 is double skinned and you plan to put the hoop bolts through the tunnel side walls they'll need crush tubes welded in.

You'll also need to lift the carpet...

• Sad 1