Sign in to follow this  
Bennyboy

Hilarious q&a

Jesus haha owner is certainly a bit belligerent - car obviously has a wrap on it, not sure how he couldn't know?

• Like 1

Also a cluster swap on a Singapore car.. We all know what that means.

Wow that seller is living in another world lol. So clueless yet so full of himself. 

I immediately assumed this guys ethnicity. Pretty sure that makes me rascist :D

40 minutes ago, Jacko said:

I immediately assumed this guys ethnicity. Pretty sure that makes me rascist :D

DID YOU JUST ASSUME THEIR GENDER???????

🤣

• Haha 1

Interesting looking VW ,not my cup of tea. Launching into a small rant here so please indulge me. What has happened to way we buy cars? Surely if you have interest in such a car, pick up the phone, make contact, inspect, and make an informed decision. The Q & A section on these listings is just turning into a total waste of time for both the seller and the buyer. There are probably statistics that determine the success rate from inquiry and I'd imagine its something less than 5% on this trading site.

So like night follows day inevitably the dopes come out of the woodwork doing their best to wind up the seller, and at the end of the listing we have a no sale occurring.

I reckon the seller has displayed restraint, accordingly we give applause here, and wish him good luck with the auction. 

Concluding, in our 18 years trade me membership we have never made an online inquiry on any car, and have bought quite a few, probably fifteen or sixteen. See it, become interested, check it out, negotiate the price, drive it home. Simple.

However, as some of have posters have said, this listing is a bit of a giggle. Better than TV😂

Edited by Bandit
Sp
  • Like 7

Exactly.  When I was selling my E30 I just replied with please call 021******

Though that was via email as I didn't run an auction.

Not one person who emailed me followed up with a phone call.

The guy that purchased it called me while I was in the US.

Yes, much easier to tyre kick on Trade Me and be far more confrontational than one would in person.

In this particular case, it the sellers first reaction will have incited a little more prodding.

A few valid questions can be asked on Trade Me but in general, a serious buyer (even a millennial!) is likely to make more direct contact via phone or text.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bandit said:

Concluding in our 18 years trade me membership we have never made an online inquiry on any car, and have bought quite a few, probably fifteen or sixteen. See it, become interested, call the seller negotiate the price, drive it home. 

I think you've made this rant before? It sounds familiar..

I'm pretty much the opposite. I prefer to ask questions and get a feel for the sellers attitude and honesty before physically viewing. Often i don't bother pursuing if the response is "phone me", etc. or sarcastic, dishonest, combative, etc. Sometimes i don't view until after I've bought depending on the circumstances (so questions can be quite important). I've bought and sold many on trademe and various forums over the years and find this approach works equally well for me. Different strokes for different folks.

Edited by Blackie
Spelling- brought lol
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Bandit said:

Interesting looking VW ,not my cup of tea. Launching into a small rant here so please indulge me. What has happened to way we buy cars? Surely if you have interest in such a car, pick up the phone, make contact, inspect, and make an informed decision. The Q & A section on these listings is just turning into a total waste of time for both the seller and the buyer. There are probably statistics that determine the success rate from inquiry and I'd imagine its something less than 5% on this trading site.

Disagree. Nothing wrong with asking a quick question. As a seller it shouldn't take you long to answer it. I'd prefer to answer quick questions there and cut down on unnecessary phone calls. Phone calls waste even more time and interrupt you at non-ideal times.

Plus it can save you from repeat questions since the answers are visible to everyone.

Never had any trouble with handling questions on my own listings. I only get a few, by not being a fool like the seller we're discussing here you won't get flooded with silly/confronting questions. 

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Blackie said:

I think you've made this rant before? It sounds familiar..

I'm pretty much the opposite. I prefer to ask questions and get a feel for the sellers attitude and honesty before physically viewing. Often i don't bother pursuing if the response is "phone me", etc. or sarcastic, dishonest, combative, etc. Sometimes i don't view until after I've bought depending on the circumstances (so questions can be quite important). I've bought and sold many on trademe and various forums over the years and find this approach works equally well for me. Different strokes for different folks.

Probably the best and most widely respected online auction site today is Bring a Trailer (BAT) www.bringatrailer.com. Having been around since 2007, it has evolved into a fast paced benchmark operation, achieving fantastic results for both the happy vendor and even happier seller. The quality and diversity of the vehicles is a joy to view, as are the images and the listing details are replete with the cars information and beyond reproach. Unlike the bottom feeders that troll and comment on our poor relation Trade Me, the comments are for most parts, both articulate, and intelligent Now I am aware that some of the posters on this, our bmw site dislike BAT because of the "over sale"  or excessive prices fetched for some of the  cars, and we would take the opportunity to point out these are achieved because of the interest in that car, and the sheer quality and presentation of the listing has attracted multiple bidders. In other words the complete package of this particular online auction house has been seen to have produced a  successfu result..

Winding up for today we would mention that whilst we detest the mess that is Trade Me in 2020, we have no hesitation in buying cars that we all enjoy through it either as an auction or negotiated purchase. But as a medium to sell motor cars whoa, no thanks😉  As Blackie inferred above, different strokes for different folks.

Edited by Bandit

Can’t help but think the first question really sets the tone. We’re not the only ones who share Trademe listings with others you know...

6 hours ago, Bandit said:

Probably the best and most widely respected online auction site today is Bring a Trailer (BAT) www.bringatrailer.com. Having been around since 2007, it has evolved into a fast paced benchmark operation, achieving fantastic results for both the happy vendor and even happier seller. The quality and diversity of the vehicles is a joy to view, as are the images and the listing details are replete with the cars information and beyond reproach. Unlike the bottom feeders that troll and comment on our poor relation Trade Me, the comments are for most parts, both articulate, and intelligent Now I am aware that some of the posters on this, our bmw site dislike BAT because of the "over sale"  or excessive prices fetched for some of the  cars, and we would take the opportunity to point out these are achieved because of the interest in that car, and the sheer quality and presentation of the listing has attracted multiple bidders. In other words the complete package of this particular online auction house has been seen to have produced a  successfu result..

Winding up for today we would mention that whilst we detest the mess that is Trade Me in 2020, we have no hesitation in buying cars that we all enjoy through it either as an auction or negotiated purchase. But as a medium to sell motor cars whoa, no thanks😉  As Blackie inferred above, different strokes for different folks.

I don’t know why FB hasn’t capitalised on this and set up their own type of user pays eBay/TM as an aside like messenger. 
Account already linked etc. 

Current FB market place is a mess and seems to be more ferals and dredges of society active on it, selling their sh*t with minimal info or no asking price ‘seeing what it’s worth’. 
Not to mention most new posts get bumped down the page and can be hard to find quickly. 
I gave up on selling stuff on FB, currently copping TMs excessive success fees. 

• Like 1

BAT is nothing special. Its just more visible. Kiwis seem to love it because we have nothing like it here. The diversity of vehicles is just normal in the US. The quality goes up and down like any other auction. eBay was once as great. Now it's full of scams.

Every other Auction house, especially the physical ones need to follow the detail BAT puts into each vehicle though. Some sites are absolutely useless. E.g. Turner's.

BAT has sold some interesting cars for way more than you would fetch outside of their service though. And this gave them an incredible amount of publicity. And that was well deserved.

Edited by Driftit

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 4:34 AM, Bandit said:

Surely if you have interest in such a car, pick up the phone, make contact, inspect, and make an informed decision. The Q & A section on these listings is just turning into a total waste of time for both the seller and the buyer. There are probably statistics that determine the success rate from inquiry and I'd imagine its something less than 5% on this trading site.

Well, in this case the winning bidder turned out to be someone who had asked a question so perhaps things aren't always the way they seem?

14 hours ago, Driftit said:

BAT is nothing special. Its just more visible. Kiwis seem to love it because we have nothing like it here. The diversity of vehicles is just normal in the US. The quality goes up and down like any other auction. eBay was once as great. Now it's full of scams.

Every other Auction house, especially the physical ones need to follow the detail BAT puts into each vehicle though. Some sites are absolutely useless. E.g. Turner's.

BAT has sold some interesting cars for way more than you would fetch outside of their service though. And this gave them an incredible amount of publicity. And that was well deserved.

Dare to disagree with your opening Driftit , the site is proving to be very special in a difficult niche market.The Americans, Europeans and English enthusiasts from all walks of life love it so ensuring the success it now enjoys. Even a few Kiwis bid on cars there, and I know of several that have crossed the seas and are now in NZ. Even the writer has bid on several Austin Healey's  in particular a Lenhan spec bug eye sprite caught my eye. However have yet to put a mark on the scoreboard. One day😉

And your second last sentence is the point we have been trying to make, in perhaps an obscure way, and why BAT will be around for some time. Multiple bidders driving up the price, fantastic for the seller (and the watchers)  To sell any car on TradeMe (of the type we are interested in on this forum) it is imperative to have more than one bidder to achieve a worthwhile result. All the forum bashing dialogue and nay saying just kills the car dead in the water.

13 hours ago, Blackie said:

Well, in this case the winning bidder turned out to be someone who had asked a question so perhaps things aren't always the way they seem?

Read my last sentence Blackie less than 5%

Edited by Bandit

9 hours ago, Bandit said:

Dare to disagree with your opening Driftit , the site is proving to be very special in a difficult niche market.The Americans, Europeans and English enthusiasts from all walks of life love it so ensuring the success it now enjoys. Even a few Kiwis bid on cars there, and I know of several that have crossed the seas and are now in NZ. Even the writer has bid on several Austin Healey's  in particular a Lenhan spec bug eye sprite caught my eye. However have yet to put a mark on the scoreboard. One day😉

And your second last sentence is the point we have been trying to make, in perhaps an obscure way, and why BAT will be around for some time. Multiple bidders driving up the price, fantastic for the seller (and the watchers)  To sell any car on TradeMe (of the type we are interested in on this forum) it is imperative to have more than one bidder to achieve a worthwhile result. All the forum bashing dialogue and nay saying just kills the car dead in the water.

BAT just happens to have a popular portfolio right now.  3-4 years ago it was just another online Auction where you could pick yourself up a cheap project or racecar hence Bring a Trailer.  Then the 80's and 90's vehicle boom hit.  They had the right stock at the right time.  Obviously they have expanded into other categories now.
But you only have to look at auctions like that run by Barrett Jackson to realize BAT is just a drop in the water.  It just happens to be more visible to the online audience at the moment.  Covid will change this in a hurry.  I have already seen a bunch of 80's BMW's and 90's heroes go through Barrett.  Cars that previously would have been rejected.  But demand has changed.  And so has the US attitude towards them.

10 hours ago, Bandit said:

Read my last sentence Blackie less than 5%

I appreciate that, but you made up the 5% figure no?

• Like 1