Sign in to follow this  
HJ130i

130i Hub Assembly

Hey guys - my 07 130i is in the shop right now getting the right rear wheel bearing replaced - but the garage can't get the hub assembly apart. Anyone know of where I can source a second hand assembly? Cheers. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, HJ130i said:

Hey guys - my 07 130i is in the shop right now getting the right rear wheel bearing replaced - but the garage can't get the hub assembly apart. Anyone know of where I can source a second hand assembly? Cheers. 

Try Brent @ BMW world.  He should have what you need.

• Like 1

What part wont come apart? Tell them to try harder :D 

@HELLBM has 130s

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HJ130i said:

3 hours ago, HJ130i said:

If they can’t do it your taking your vehicle to the wrong workshop for repairs and maintenance 

Edited by *Glenn*
  • Like 4

Exactly what Glenn said

Probably not wrong! At the AA right now - only place open that could get me in before a trip up north with car, last resort and all that. I'll keep the recommendations in mind, thanks guys!

• Like 1

So I've been told they can't get the wheel bearing hub out at all, totally stuck/seized. I'll need a new axle and wheel hub assembly etc etc. Can't be normal can it? 

Just moved house and suburb, so I've not got new local mechanic just yet - and it seems the local AA can't do jack. 

Edited by HJ130i

With out the right tools to do it, all they will end up doing is damaging parts that would not normally need replacing when replacing a worn wheel bearing.

• Like 1

Final update - Grabbing some new parts from Brent and getting the garage to fit. $1,100 all up for a wheel bearing. Yikes. Will need to find a better local guy in the new year. 

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, HJ130i said:

Final update - Grabbing some new parts from Brent and getting the garage to fit. $1,100 all up for a wheel bearing. Yikes. Will need to find a better local guy in the new year. 

Thats absurd, Id be arguing they didnt have the gear or know how to do the job they shouldnt have taken it on, and wanting them to discount the rates. 

2 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Thats absurd, Id be arguing they didnt have the gear or know how to do the job they shouldnt have taken it on, and wanting them to discount the rates. 

You're not wrong - will chat to them soon. They initially said $700 for a wheel bearing, and they've said they won't charge extra for the new labour when fitting the new hub and axle etc - but it does seem odd that they couldn't get it apart in the first place. It's not uncommon for a hub to sit tight. 

Another thing you must also consider is that your spending all this money and you still haven’t got a new rear wheel bearing. And what else will be compromised when they install the second hand parts you have purchased off Brent ?

12 minutes ago, *Glenn* said:

Another thing you must also consider is that your spending all this money and you still haven’t got a new rear wheel bearing. And what else will be compromised when they install the second hand parts you have purchased off Brent ?

They are fitting the brand new bearing into the parts from BM World. parts sourced from a newer, lower kms car than mine. Not too worried there. 

$1100 to install a wheel bearing is criminal.

Even if they charge $100 per hour, thats eleven hours to do a wheel bearing

It appears the $1100 is the total incl labour with the bearing and axle\hub from Brent. At those prices i hope they are using a quality branded bearing as generic Chinese etc ones don't last very long .

• Like 1

Garage now can't get the new parts separated - what a joke. Am cancelling it all and will go elsewhere in the new year. 

Edited by HJ130i

If they've tried to pull the flange out of the race (step 1 in replacing the bearing), the bearing in the "new" bits is pretty much guaranteed to be toast now as it ripped the inner race out of the bearing. 

Edited by Jacko

I suggest you talk to BM Workshop in Botany or Grey Lynn when they reopen if someone on here can,t help you. The rear hub bearing also needs to be preloaded correctly as a rattle gun won.t  do the jub and you, be back to replacing it again. There are special tools to carry out the preload correctly. AA won.t have these.

2 hours ago, *Glenn* said:

I suggest you talk to BM Workshop in Botany or Grey Lynn when they reopen if someone on here can,t help you. The rear hub bearing also needs to be preloaded correctly as a rattle gun won.t  do the jub and you, be back to replacing it again. There are special tools to carry out the preload correctly. AA won.t have these.

I didnt see anything on newtis about preloading, only the final torque of 420Nm? 

Misuse of words... Torque specs are critical and rely on all parts not being worn

• Like 1