Sign in to follow this  
curryinahurry

E46 Sedan Isofix Top Tether

Hi Team,

I'm wanting to fit a car seat into my e46 sedan, but when I went to install it I discovered that there is no mounting point for the isofix top tether.

After a bit of goggling, it turns out that there is a mounting point but the brackets are not fitted.

https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/retrofit-isofix-top-tether-anchor-points-diy.975965/

So I was wondering if anyone here has done this retrofit?  Where did you get the parts from?

Thanks in advance :)

The people you buy these off (Baby Factory or the like) will try and insist you get an engineer or qualified mechanic to fit them. You may also notice with some amusement that the legal in NZ ones come with an imperial bolt. I seem to remember I threw it out and replaced with an 8.8 metric bolt. My E39s all had a steel plate under the parcel shelf with a nut welded in place ready to recieve the top tether mount, I can't tell you what to expect with an E46 though.

I did this for my e39. I ordered the parts from a place in the US that parted cars. It was ~$150 landed, but they wouldn't ship here direct, so I had to order to a family member, then to here.

EDIT: This is the place I ordered from: https://hermesautoparts.com/

EDIT2: Ebay has them too.

Edited by Gabe79

I’ve done the retro fit on my e46 M3 a number of years ago. I originally brought the brackets of trademe but it was minus the covers. I ended up ordering the retrofit kit via BMW NZ dealer.

install is straight forward. Worst part for me was carefully cutting the parcel  shelf.

Other than that it does take time to remove the rear parcel shelf on a e46. Rear seat side bolsters need removing and. C pillar trims and then top half of rear set before you can start removing the clips holding on the shelf . Then headrests and speaker covers

FC6E3941-AF02-47CF-A3B7-8448980E0FBC.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 3pedals said:

You can do it with the parcel shelf in situ, just pop the speaker grills off and slide the spacers in and then drill the hole as per above - same as an E36 

That would work if your not doing middle position. From memory the foam that sits on the parcel shelf and deck is pre cut. Would just need to lift the section out . It would be tight though.

The isofix bracket sits in the foam section rectangle at the back in this picture the bracket has a claw that fits into a small hole and then uses a cap screw to fasten.

45ED9114-86B6-4242-BA51-9B7EB2C16B15.jpeg

Edited by Neal
More detail