Sign in to follow this  
Mark

Pressing in Control Arm Bushings? DIY-able?

Hi team,

Been a while - but looking to get my E30 back on the road again after 3 years sitting in the garage. Need to replace the control arms and bushings for a WOF - have bought the parts and intending to do myself. However, the internet gives me differing opinions about whether the control arm bushings can be removed / pressed in to the brackets using at-home methods or if they need to be taken somewhere to be pressed in. Anyone done this job before and know if I can simply cut the old ones out and press the new ones in using a vice?

Cheers, Mark.

1045564_x600.jpg

E30 no rust.jpg

I recently did some diff bushes using some exhaust tube, some thick metal plate and a threaded rod with nuts. Worked perfectly. I don't imagine it should be any different for the control arms. Let me know if you want more details.

I have done so on my E36 and E46 (very similar design) but I've got access to a shop press and lathe so its not that difficult.  I think it'll be very hard to do a good job without the right tools in this case.

To press out the old bushing, you'll need something that matches the diameter of the bushing (preferably a tiny bit under).  Otherwise *maybe* you could push out the old one with the new one whilst having the lollipop sit on a spacer so it theres room for the old one to come out.  It typically takes around 2-3 tonnes for remove.

To get one in - If its steel arm, freeze the bushing (in ziplock bag in freezer overnight) and heat the arm a bit, not too hot, 80c or so should do it.

Make sure to lube liberally and this drastically reduced the amount of force required to put the new one in, only had 1 out of dozens I couldnt push in/out with 10t mini press.

To get one out - if it wont push you can hacksaw blade from the middle out, be careful as you finish cutting, presses much easier once cut through.

5-10t presses are available for 2-400 bucks or walk into an engineering shop with some change, think i paid $40 for a guy to push one out and the new one in that I couldnt move with 10t.

Thanks everyone - sounds like its all a bit above my skill/patience level. Will ring around some engineering shops to see if they'll do it for me and save me the blood sweat and tears. :)

Cheers, Mark.

I have done many E36 and Z3 control arm bushings at home.

Removal

Take hammer and metal chisel and bend the metal rim of the bushing in towards the center.  Do this in 4 places around the perimeter.  This reduces the amount of metal rim in contact with the lollie pop.  Open the vice to support the lollie pop and hammer the old bushing out.  Hit on the deformed side.  It pops out with a couple of blows.

Installation

Line up the two alignment nubs, one on the lollie pop and the other on the bushing.  Use a vice to start and press in the new bushing.  Little by little while you move the lollie pop around in 45 degree turns.  This ensures that the bushing is going in straight.  Press it in until the new bushing is flush with the far face of the lollie pop.  Open the vice and insert a spacer that will support the lollie pop but not touch the bushing.  Do the final few pressing turns to push the bushing through the lolie pop so that it is proud by 3 to 5 mm (even on both faces of the lollie pop).  I use an old wheel bearing tapped race as my spacer.

Yeah they don't take much force given they are thin alloy outer but at the min you certainly need a spacer of some sort to install

9 hours ago, Mark said:

Thanks everyone - sounds like its all a bit above my skill/patience level. Will ring around some engineering shops to see if they'll do it for me and save me the blood sweat and tears. :)

Cheers, Mark.

Try CHS Motor Sport