Sign in to follow this  
SmackJackTheCrackerMan

Lifter tick

Hey,

from what I’ve read lifter tick is pretty normal on the N54 engine, but I was wondering if there is a way to reduce the noise? As it’s pretty loud. 

Not sure there is much you can do, just keep the engine cover on and make sure the foam/padding under the engine cover is good id say.

Its not just "lifter tick" on the N54, the injectors are bloody loud too being a direct injection engine.

Normally cant hear it over the wastegate rattle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’ve heard a couplE of people recommend Pro-ma MBL8 oil additive, but it seems pretty expensive. Has anyone ever tried this? Worth the $80ish  

I swore by that Pro-ma stuff with my Evo and GSR back in the day. Worked amazing but you needed to add it in every couple of oil changes. However as said above, direct injection injectors are really noisy and can sound like lifter tick. Are you sure it's not just that? 

• Like 1

What helps for a little while is sitting stationary and holding at 3000 rpm for a few minutes. That said no N54s really sound that great idling...there is a somewhat diesel like quality to them all sadly...a lot of the N series engines sound that way DI or otherwise.  

EDIT: If you have high mileage..beware of timing chain issues...although not common they can sound very similar to lifter tick...but often much worse. 

Edited by HalfJobHarry
more detail.

14 hours ago, HalfJobHarry said:

What helps for a little while is sitting stationary and holding at 3000 rpm for a few minutes. That said no N54s really sound that great idling...there is a somewhat diesel like quality to them all sadly...a lot of the N series engines sound that way DI or otherwise.  

EDIT: If you have high mileage..beware of timing chain issues...although not common they can sound very similar to lifter tick...but often much worse. 

Thanks, I'll give this a go.

I will try to get a video if I can and try to post it up here just to be sure.

32 minutes ago, SmackJackTheCrackerMan said:

Thanks, I'll give this a go.

I will try to get a video if I can and try to post it up here just to be sure.

What's your mileage? 

On 1/21/2021 at 9:54 AM, SmackJackTheCrackerMan said:

It's around 125,000, its getting up there

That's nothing for a BMW in KMs! Wouldn't even be much in miles!! I sold my E46 330i with 318k KM on it and it was still going strong (granted it had had almost every plastic part replaced in its life...but lets not dwell on that). 

How are the lifters? 

Kiwis car mentality is f**ked when 125k is "getting up there". I suppose it could be near death with how sh*t kiwis in general are at looking after cars though. 

Check out Uk and Us forums to see what "getting up there" is. 

• Like 1

Far out. 125k Time to scrap it.

Just ticked over 250k on the x5 diesel and you’d never guess, just completed 2,800 km’s around the South Island and it didn’t miss a beat... well, maybe an exhaust manifold crack part way though the trip, but it was on the original manifold and it still performed effortlessly.

My N54 has noticeable injector noise at idle when you stand outside the car. Was far more noticeable if you parked next to a wall which seemed to amplify it.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, another thing to keep an eye on; Mine made a real loud ticking at idle at one point, turned out the fuel cap wasnt 3 clicks tight and the fuel tank breather valve in the engine bay was ticking like mad. Maybe see if you cap seal is perished.

I keep the car as well maintained as I possibly can to be fair.

I have just replaced Spark plugs with NGK Laser Iridium (1 step colder) and new Delphi Technologies Coils and it has made the car so much smoother.

I would like to replace the Injectors with Index-12 but I have just got off the phone with BMW Wellington and I was quoted $3572 + GST for all 6.

I will try to upload the video now....

That sounds 100% normal to me. Most of the noise is the injectors in that video.

Dont put any additives in it. Its fine as it is, and a lot more advanced than an old 4Gxx engine.

Totally normal

Thanks, that's always good to hear.

That was before the new plugs & coils and the difference they have made to how smooth the engine runs at idle is amazing.

On 2/4/2021 at 3:19 PM, SmackJackTheCrackerMan said:

I keep the car as well maintained as I possibly can to be fair.

I have just replaced Spark plugs with NGK Laser Iridium (1 step colder) and new Delphi Technologies Coils and it has made the car so much smoother.

I would like to replace the Injectors with Index-12 but I have just got off the phone with BMW Wellington and I was quoted $3572 + GST for all 6.

I will try to upload the video now....

Get your injectors from FCP euro. You'll have change from 2k NZD including shipping, they warranty them for life...and injectors are not a complex job to do at all (they can be coded easily with common software or using PROTOOL if you must $100 bucks). Buy the injector removal tool if your're doing it yourself...worth it 100%

Edited by HalfJobHarry
  • Like 2