Sign in to follow this  
jin108

N54 turbo upgrade / rebuild options

One of the turbos is dying and wondering what options there are locally to either rebuild or replace? There are a few aftermarket options on ebay and amazon ive been looking at.

Any recommendations for installers in Auckland as well?

cheers

3 hours ago, jin108 said:

One of the turbos is dying and wondering what options there are locally to either rebuild or replace? There are a few aftermarket options on ebay and amazon ive been looking at.

Any recommendations for installers in Auckland as well?

cheers

I rebuilt mine myself with the Turbo Labs America rebuild kit. Hardest part was getting the C-clips off!!  Did the waste gates too, punched them out and had a welder in Penrose do the spot TIG welds.  

As far as upgrades go I'd be just as likely to send the TD03s to the USA and have TD04 centers put in. However my power targets are just within the capabilities of the stock turbos. Some decent inlets and a dual cone intakes are effectively giving you a couple of "free" psi, making things even easier. Add a really good intercooler and unless you have serious power targets in mind I question the need lately to upgrade the twins at all. 

Lots of upgrades out there to choose from for N54, all depends on what your goals are with the car. 

17t turbos from Ebay/Amazon/Aliexpress seem to be okay. I have them installed and comming up 15k kms with out any issues. I had them balanced by a turbo shop before installing. 

@smiddy did a compressor upgrade for them which would be a fairly cost effective upgrade as you use your exisiting exhaust manifold. Not sure how he has gotten on with them. 

Edited by Ninjaspartan
Grammar