Sign in to follow this  
HalfJobHarry

Water based tyre shine?

Anybody got any recommendations for a decent water based tyre shine gel that I can easily get in NZ. Ideally something I can just pickup from a shop. 

I've used Optimum Optibond Tyre Gel and my bottle has done me for 7 years but it's finally run out on me. 

I strongly dislike the petroleum/silicone products as they are often far too shiny, sticky and tend to sling off the wheels.....

Fireball have some good products offering more satin finishes:

https://www.unitedcarcare.co.nz/products/fireball-tyre-coating

https://www.unitedcarcare.co.nz/products/fireball-trim-tyre

Si02 which I guess is a fancy way of saying silicone, but the results are good.

I've got a container of Meguiars Endurance Gel at the moment which is decent, smells good too - with hand application it needn't be too glossy either - at SCA / Repco and often on special.

Edited by Sammo
  • Like 1

Meguiars hyper dressing is waterbased and you dilute to your desired level of shine.

Being waterbased it doesnt last long and requires weekly applications or less if heavy rain/wet driving.

I bought a 4l for about $150 and it diluted to 8L as a satin product and lasted me a few years of weekly applications.

I have moved to chemical guys tire kicker and it seems to last a bit longer and also claims to be water based, I dilute this a bit because yeah its too glossy as is.

• Like 1

Auto Glym High Performance Tyre Gel has just won Forensic Detailing Channel's bake-off.  

I've had the Meguiar's Endurance, I don't rate it - too shiny, a nightmare to use, and I don't think it's water based.

Talk to Barry's Garage @Autoglym

• Like 1

I have the High Performance Tyre Gel in stock, here in Wellington

Edited by Autoglym

I rate the Autoglym stuff. Makes the tyres black/clean vs oily/wet. Does require more regular applications. 

• Like 1

Thanks everybody for the input on this. Got distracted but  will try the autoglym. The data sheet seems to list petroleum so doesn't look to be waterbased, I'll give it a try though as I'm not in the 'tire shine makes your tyres brown camp', I've just found the water based don't sling off as much. 

Just reporting back in on this...two washes and about 600 ks of driving.... the Autoglym definately lasts and has a good shine (maybe a bit too shiny for my tastes but mild for most i think). It is 'stickier' than something like my previous goto Optibond (which is too expensive to get brought into NZ). 

It's a good but not ideal alternative to Optibond so I'm overall pleased.