Sign in to follow this  
balancerider

Insurance valuation

Just renewing my insurance on my 2016 F31 335d. Insurance co. has valued car at ~38k, I queried this and they said that they use Motorweb for valuation purposes (although cover is 'market value' if total loss). I had imagined it might be ~50k (esp given supply issues at present and rarity of 335d in NZ as it was never sold here as NZ new model). Sure enough one popped up on TM last night, same year, similar spec and double the km with an asking price of 52k

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/2949892828

Any opinions on whether it's worth getting a formal valuation?

I personally would, $12k is alot to be short changed by in an incident. Or perhaps get some quotes from another company? Star or Swan, someone who does agreed value vs market value. Do you know what valuations roughly cost? 

I had a similar issue with my E61 M5, insurance valued it at the same price as a sedan, but I had 2 valuations and neither were significantly more, including one from Continental BMW. They don't seem to take rarity into account. I am probably going to change insurer to someone like classic cover but that may not work for you.