Sign in to follow this  
E30 325i Rag-Top

Govt Breathes New Life Into "Clean Car" Legislation

16 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Apparently there is a government "advisor"

I think you're right here... they are called the Greens 😎

On this topic, I can't understand the govt's lack of enthusiasm for converting road to rail freight - especially log trucks. 'Low hanging fruit' right there.

15 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

In the months / weeks / days before the ban on internal combustion engined vehicles comes in I think they will be going pretty cheap..

Apparently there is a government "advisor" who is very much anti-combustion engines and pushing a very hard line agenda on the electrification of vehicles. Enjoy your classic cars whilst you can.

Better get a Ferarri Testarossa then, sounds like they'll be going cheap! Run it on synthetic carbon neutral fuel. Life is good. 

15 hours ago, balancerider said:

On this topic, I can't understand the govt's lack of enthusiasm for converting road to rail freight - especially log trucks. 'Low hanging fruit' right there.

Probably banning logging too.

Just ban everything! 

Edited by Michael.
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, treone said:

I think you're right here... they are called the Greens 😎

You’re giving the MPs too much credit, it’s the figures in the background that tell them what to say and think. Not sure what they are called in NZ, in the UK they are “civil servants”.

1 hour ago, Michael. said:

Better get a Ferarri Testarossa then, sounds like they'll be going cheap! Run it on synthetic carbon neutral fuel. Life is good. 

There is a lot of research going on in this area, but whether it comes to a workable, scalable solution is not known - unfortunately, the scramble to EVs will probably see it miss out.

• Like 1

@E30 325i Rag-Top I wonder if we might see backtracking when the magnitude of mining all of those rare earths starts to become clear. it's apparent that 'whitegoods' cars are a clear case where EV is better than ICE but I suspect / hope that multiple power sources depending on the application will be the plan going forward...

'JAG' is the Green who comes to mind when I think virulently anti-car (not just ICE powered ones). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

There is a lot of research going on in this area, but whether it comes to a workable, scalable solution is not known - unfortunately, the scramble to EVs will probably see it miss out.

I guess it will come down to what makes the most money, plus you're always going to have competing technologies and companies behind them saying their version of something is better. Let the consumer decide. Likely we will see a diverse market as like with most consumable goods, there is never just a one size fits all solution.

I saw an article the other day from Toyota CEO, he made some interesting points I agreed with https://www.wsj.com/articles/toyotas-chief-says-electric-vehicles-are-overhyped-11608196665

Toyota President Akio Toyoda said Japan would run out of electricity in the summer if all cars were running on electric power.

“When politicians are out there saying, ‘Let’s get rid of all cars using gasoline,’ do they understand this?” Mr. Toyoda said 

He said if Japan is too hasty in banning gasoline-powered cars, “the current business model of the car industry is going to collapse,” causing the loss of millions of jobs.

Japan that gets most of its electricity from burning coal and natural gas, EVs don’t help the environment, Mr. Toyoda said. “The more EVs we build, the worse carbon dioxide gets,” he said.

He said he feared government regulations would make cars a “flower on a high summit”—out of reach for the average person.

Interesting thoughts from Mr Akio Toyoda! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

You’re giving the MPs too much credit, it’s the figures in the background that tell them what to say and think. Not sure what they are called in NZ, in the UK they are “civil servants”.

That's the theory, however, the practice is much different 😉. And I don't give MP's any credit... 🤣

Anywho, will still be keepin' the V8's regardless of what the future holds haha

Edited by treone
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, lord_jagganath said:

https://www.autocar.co.nz/autocar-news-app/nz-govt-reveals-8-000-electric-car-rebate-scheme-gas-guzzlers-get-hit

Does this mean any non EV/BEV/PHEV/LEV imports after Jan 2022 would be hit with an extra of up to 8k in fees. 

It won't need to be that much, there will still be far more old school cars coming in than EVs, if its 8 to one then its only a grand extra on each one for example.

The ratio is not part of the calculation, it’s sole intention is to deter buyers away from the high emitters of CO2, so the figures are set up front - hence why they are quoting figures for HiLux, etc in the article. Final figures for the ratio won’t be known until after the event, but charges have to be stated up front to buyers.

Even the worst V8 charge won’t be as high as the full EV rebate though.

In the first few years there will probably be a surfeit of money overall, but that will soon switch the other way.

• Thanks 1

I have been thinking about an Electric car as a commuter.
I can charge it at work for free.  New House will have a large Solar array.

Then I started looking at what's around.

Affordable
Aesthetically Pleasing
Not a Nissan Leaf

Pick one.

• Haha 4

Lets add that to the exceptions list.  But also tag it as Beyond acceptable level of Fugly.

8 hours ago, Driftit said:

I have been thinking about an Electric car as a commuter.
I can charge it at work for free.  New House will have a large Solar array.

Then I started looking at what's around.

Affordable
Aesthetically Pleasing
Not a Nissan Leaf

Pick one.

Ford F150? Available in 2022.

Top of the line Ram 2500/F250 is around $60k USD. Here they are about $180k. 

Top of the line electric F150 is said to be $90k USD. So you can imagine the eye watering price it will be here, if it ever makes it. 

Considering Ford will sell more F trucks across USA/Canada in one day than they will sell here & Aus in one year, theres no surprise none of the big three have gone to the cost and bother to develop these for RHD. 

We have to suffice with povvo spec hugely under whelming, under developed and gutless Utes instead. 

Was Jacinda thinking of the F150 when she blatantly lied about Toyota having an electric ute to market in 18 months time... lol. 

8 hours ago, coop said:

Was Jacinda thinking of the F150 when she blatantly lied about Toyota having an electric ute to market in 18 months time... lol. 

I would say so. I have read nothing of them being produced in RHD. And it's highly unlikely Ford would bother with NZ/Aus as you said.

NZ is going to become incredibly expensive in the next 10 years. Even more so than it already is.

• Sad 2

Based on news from shows and Toyota themselves, I suggest name-calling over a comment re Toyota EV utes is - at best - unfair.

https://www.driven.co.nz/news/it-s-happening-toyota-is-serious-about-building-an-electric-ute/

and

https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/toyota/35083987.html

Worth clarifying what Jacinda Ardern said: "The second point I'd make is that within the next - we're hoping the next 12 to 24 months - the likes of Toyota are talking about bringing in EV utes."
Given previous announcements - by Toyota - was it Toyota who said they weren't doing this, or was it reported that Toyota said they weren't doing this?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gjm said:

Based on news from shows and Toyota themselves, I suggest name-calling over a comment re Toyota EV utes is - at best - unfair.

https://www.driven.co.nz/news/it-s-happening-toyota-is-serious-about-building-an-electric-ute/

and

https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/toyota/35083987.html

Worth clarifying what Jacinda Ardern said: "The second point I'd make is that within the next - we're hoping the next 12 to 24 months - the likes of Toyota are talking about bringing in EV utes."
Given previous announcements - by Toyota - was it Toyota who said they weren't doing this, or was it reported that Toyota said they weren't doing this?

Toyota NZ CEO was interviewed by Heather Duplessis Allen last night. He refuted Arderns claim and said he doesn’t know where she got that idea from. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, coop said:

Toyota NZ CEO was interviewed by Heather Duplessis Allen last night. He refuted Arderns claim and said he doesn’t know where she got that idea from. 

From Toyota's own newsfeed? (above)

Jacinda wouldn't just lie, would she?? Surely some mistake?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, leichtbau said:

Jacinda wouldn't just lie, would she?? Surely some mistake?

I don’t think lying through her teeth is possible.

• Haha 3

This sh*t really pisses me off.

Manufacturer issues press release.

Someone recites it.

That someone *must* be lying, right?
Not the manufacturer, not the original source. Yes - I know it was the head of Toyota NZ who denied it - perhaps he was wrong?
IT WAS ON THE ORIGINAL TOYOTA WEBSITE.
IT HAS BEEN RECITED BY OTHER NEWS OUTLETS BASED ON SUBSEQUENT DISCUSSION WITH THE MANUFACTURER.

Come on. Get a f'ing grip. You're better than this.

I'm not saying it'll happen, only that anyone claiming it is a piece made up by the PM is short on so readily available facts.

Edited by gjm