Sign in to follow this  
aja540i

GM III question...

the GM in my e39 touring appears to kaput, soft close on the tailgate not working, no auto up/down on drivers window, etc, question is, are the GMs specific to wagon or sedan, or can I recode a sedan unit to work in the wagon? I have tried a sedan unit and it is not plug and play, still does some wierd stuff, but I don't want to go through the hassle of coding it if it still won't work.

I dont see why not provided they are both the same OBC type and similar vintage(maybe backward compatible on that one like LCM's)  

Did you test the capacitors when you had the old one apart. Ive fixed a couple by replacing them.

No, I haven't dived in that deeply yet, I have managed to find one with identical part number on ebay, so will try that first. If it doesn't work I will do some more investigationing. 

On 2/10/2021 at 8:41 AM, BreakMyWindow said:

afaik they are plug and play but do need programming to suit the particular car, I have the software to do that if needed.

Can you do it in a pre OBD car?